Author Topic: Flynn/Collins of Abbeyside  (Read 3047 times)

Offline mflynn13

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Flynn/Collins of Abbeyside
« on: Monday 21 May 12 16:39 BST (UK) »
I've seeking some help in the next level of my Flynn/Collins family research.

My ggggrandfather was John Flynn, a sailor. He married Hanoria/Hanora Collins on February 8, 1866 at the Catholic church in Abbeyside. They were both residents of Abbeyside at the time of marriage.

John Flynn's father was John Flynn. Hanoria Collins' father was Dennis/Denis Collins. Both were sailors.

Based on immigration records, it appears that John Flynn Jr was born around 1842 and Hanoria was born around 1847. John and Hanoria arrived in the U.S. around 1866. In addition, in the Griffith's Valuation of 1868, it appears that John Flynn and Dennis Collins both lived on Main Street in Abbeyside.

While I would LOVE to make a trip to Ireland, I was wondering if anyone already had information on the Flynn or Collins families, or even know about sailing history in Abbeyside.

Thank you! Meg

Offline OTBTresearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Flynn/Collins of Abbeyside
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 12 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Meg,

the local Abbeyside historical group have a nice blog on
http://www.abbeysidereferencearchive.blogspot.ie/
with photos and stories, you might find information or contact someone to share some local history in connection with the sailing tradition there.

Good luck,

C.

Offline thelongpuckout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Flynn/Collins of Abbeyside
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 May 16 18:21 BST (UK) »
The Abbeyside Blog is now named Abbeyside Heritage Archive blog!
Still lots of Flynn's at Abbeyside...and yes, sailors they were. lot's of Dungarvan Abbeyside families were connected with the Sea!