Author Topic: Miss Ethel V MERRICK, "Tani", Hurstville, NSW  (Read 6784 times)

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Miss Ethel V MERRICK, "Tani", Hurstville, NSW
« on: Wednesday 23 May 12 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have a family member who won a Military Cross in WW1. He returned to Australia in June 1919, never married, and died in 1976. In his service record at The National Archives there are two letters from Miss Ethel V Merrick, whose address was "Tani" (or possible "Tain" - hard to tell), Queen's Road, Hurstville, NSW. One is dated January 1918 and the other April 1919. She expresses anxiety about his whereabouts because she's had  no reply to her letters and she'd heard he was home but hasn't heard from him.

The only Ethel V Merrick I've been able to find was born in Wagga Wagga in 1889, mother Mary J, no father's name. Does anyone know anything about Ethel, her mother Mary J, or the house in Hurstville? Ethel doesn't appear in electoral rolls or marriage/death indexes (at least not with her middle initial). My MC winner seems to have lived a solitary sort of life but Ethel obviously meant something to him and I'd like to know more about her.

Thanks!

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Ethel V Merrick, "Tani", Hurstville, NSW
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 08:57 BST (UK) »
Are you able to provide your M.C winner name?

Leanne

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 09:47 BST (UK) »
I don't see why not - he was Walter Edward SHIELLS (1892, Yarram - 1976, North Melbourne), buried Brighton Cemetery. A cousin and I are trying to fill in details of his life after WW1. He appears to have kept himself to himself after the war and there are no records of him joining the RSL in either Victoria or NSW. In 1924 his address was Woomargama Estate, Albury and at the time of his death he lived in Arden Street, North Melbourne.

He passed the toughest of tests and proved himself a leader in wartime but did not go on to become leader in civilian life, which was no doubt his choice. He was reported as being modest about his MC but was forthcoming about the action in general that led to it in Robin Corfield's book "Give me back my dear old cobbers", the story of the 58th and 59th Battalions (Walter was in the 58th).

Eve

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 10:56 BST (UK) »
My grandmother cousin also won an M.C
Totally agree with what you say about proving themselves leaders.
Unfortunately my relative had what would be termed Post Traumatic Stress, no treatment then except a stint in the Asylum, he could not re-assimilate and his behaviour indicated this.
Have you tried to find Walters' Unit diaries?

Leanne

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 11:03 BST (UK) »
If you don't have it, this is his entry in the London Gazette:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/31043/supplements/14288/page.pdf

Leanne

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Leanne,

I've often wondered if part of the reason Walter was so solitary after the war was the result of trauma. There wasn't much available in the way of treatment then, as you'd know from your grandmother's cousin's experience, so maybe his way of dealing with it was by staying away from people. You have to wonder how many men from WW1 were affected the same way with no hope of help. Such sad stories. I'll ask my cousin if he has the unit diaries - he's very thorough and has been on battlefield tours in Walter's footsteps, so there's a pretty good chance he has seen them.

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 12:11 BST (UK) »
As there is nothing to say about Walter being in Sydney or Wagga could Ethel V have been born in Victoria? She could have for many reasons then moved to Sydney either family or Business.
They must have corresponded previously?

Your thread header got me interested, an old Hurstville lad and went to school with and knew a few in Queens Road. The name Tani doesn't ring any bells, but nearly all homes had nameplates in that area.

Electoral roles may yeild something if someone could have a look.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 12:36 BST (UK) »
Here is an obit for someone unrelated to query but it gives his address as "Tain" in Queen's Rd Hurstville   1926

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article16294518

I wonder if it is a boading house?

cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland