Author Topic: Kane Family from Newtownlimavady  (Read 8446 times)

Offline MartinG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kane Family from Newtownlimavady
« on: Wednesday 23 May 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
Sarah Jane Kane was my great grandmother.  She emigrated from Newtownlimavady area during the Famine years (sometime between 1849 and 1851) to the USA.  She was fifteen years old at the time, which suggests Sarah was born sometime between 1834-1836.

Her brother James J. Kane assisted her in getting to the USA.  He also brought over his sister Margaret and a number of other brothers and sisters-- family lore says he brought over 20 brothers and sisters altogether.  We believe James J. Kane resided in the Philadelphia area.  The others settled in Boston, New York and Chicago.  Sarah and her sister Margaret moved to Chicago.  Sarah married Patrick Flaherty who emigrated from Galway in the 1850s.  Their oldest child, Mary, was my grandmother.  Their other children in order of birth dates were John, Sarah, Anne, Elizabeth, James, Joseph, Patrick, Thomas and Charles. Sarah Jane Kane Flaherty died in Chicago February 9, 1886.  Sarah’s death certificate states she was 50 years of age and had lived in Illinois for 35 years.

Looking in the Religious Census of 1766 we note two Kanes listed for Newtownlimavady:  Shane Kane (Roman Catholic) and Rich Kane (Protestant). Since Sarah was Roman Catholic we believe she is a descendant of Shane Kane.  The names of Householders listed in the 1831 Census returns for the County of Londonderry listed nine Kanes including the Widow Kane in the parish of Drumachose, Limavady Townland.  Since Sarah Jane Kane was born after 1831 we surmise that her father was one of the following: James Kane of Ballyclose, Michael Kane of Ballyclose, James Kane of Lanes & Yards, Patrick Kane of Linenhall Street, Frederick Kane of Main Street, John Kane of Market House Street, Michael Kane of Market House Street, or John Kane of Pound Lane.

Looking at the names of Sarah and Patrick’s children we have deduced that the most likely grandparent would be either James, John or Patrick Kane.

In Griffiths Valuation (1858-1864) there are twelve Kanes listed in Newtownlimavady. Catherine Kane of Rathbrady Beg, James Kane of Rathbrady Beg, John Kane of Irish Green, John Kane of Rathbrady Beg, Michael Kane of The New Row, Patrick Kane of Methodist Lane, Paul Kane of Rathbrady Beg, Thomas Kane of Ballyclose, Thomas Kane of Main Street, Thomas Kane of Rathbrady Beg and William Kane of Ballyclose. We believe that one of these Kanes were Sarah Jane's family.

Would be grateful if anyone has any information on Sarah Jane Kane or her brother James J. Kane,

~~~~~~~~

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kane Family from Newtownlimavady
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 16:48 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Unfortunately things are not that straight-forward.

Firstly, Newtownlimavady could mean the town (now called Limavady) or the surrounding area.

Secondly, in addition to Kane you need to take into account variations such as O'Kane, O'Cahan, etc.

Thirdly, although Sarah Jane Kane may have come from the area thta doesn't mean her ancestors would always have been there (although Limavady is where the O'Cahan clan was based).

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MartinG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 May 12 03:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey for your helpful comments and additional research avenues. 

Offline stmccmagilligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Our current farm in lenamore (magilligan)changed name from kane to mccracken in the late 1890s when Mrs Kane left it to my Great granda as her aunt was Mrs Kane and that family all died out. I was told that the rest of that Kane family left for America long before this. There is a monument this Mrs Kane at the side of Magilligan Presbyterian church. There should be records of these Kanes in the church. There is other Kanes myroe but i do not think these would have emmigrated as they have always been weathly.  Sarah Jane has always been a name in our family. These are the only link i can think of.

Offline Mmclaughlin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 September 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm just new to here so bare with me lol I'm trying to track down family of my gather. .bit of a nightmare really as all I know is that the family are from limavady and my father was called John and a brother robin/robbie who was possibly an electrician. Any help would be absolutely gratefully received

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 September 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
Rootschat isn't a forum for tracing living relatives and I suspect you are looking for fairly recent records?

The online Irish civil registration in index goes up to 1921 for Northern Ireland counties (www.familysearch.org) but the GRONI database only includes births indexes more than 100 years. ago.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ronniep19355

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 January 16 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Martin,

I am so excited to read your post. I have been searching for more information on Sarah Jane Kane because on three different dna tests relatives of hers have shown to be cousins of mine and other members of our Kane family. You mentioned that James Kane helped Sarah to emigrate to the states. I have researched a James Kane who lived in Philadelphia, along with a number of other Kanes. One of James Kane's descendants is listed as a 4th cousin on my dna results. My research shows that James Kane was a shoemaker in Philadelphia and he lived down the street from my great grandfather, William Kane who was also a shoemaker. Other Kanes in Philadelphia who I think are relations include: John (1804-1859) and Alice Kane (1806-1856). James Kane (1830-1897) married Mary Culligan (1833-1897) One anecdote that I heard from Eileen (the descendent of James Kane) is that she'd always heard that the patriarch of the family came to the states with a barrel full of shoes and a bunch of kids. Please write and tell me how I might contact you directly so that we can share family information.
Thank you.
Ronnie

Offline Eileen rodan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 January 16 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Martin I was excited when my ancestry Kane cousin sent me your info. I would like to connect with you and our family trees. I hope we can find sarah Jane's and James' parents and further back. I see where many kanes were Protestant but our line has always been Catholic ('probably where the 20 kids came from ). I hope you see this and reply
I live in the US recently to North Carolina but my family all the way back to james were in Philadelphia

Offline ronniep19355

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 21:09 BST (UK) »
Martin G

I believe I have information on James Kane in Philadelphia. Please write and let me know if you're still interested.

Thanks.