Author Topic: Garlands Hospital  (Read 6908 times)

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garlands Hospital
« on: Wednesday 23 May 12 16:51 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out about the death and whether Kathleen/Kitty Gore nee Routledge was cremated or buried. I now have the death certificate which states she was a resident of the Garlands hospital.
The informant's name is given, under qualification it states 'occupier' could anyone tell me what this means please? The informants address is given as the Garlands hospital.
Carol
Muckley, Routledge, Roe, Bontoft, Brumpton, Bills, Aspatria, Carlisle

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Re: Garlands Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 23:03 BST (UK) »
There are quite a lot of records from the Garlands Hospital lodged at Carlisle Archive Centre under T/Hos/8.  However there is a 100-year bar on access to the records so unless Kitty Gore died before 1911, there is not much chance of further investigation.
Since there is the chance that she may have been cremated and the Crematorium in Carlisle opened in the 1950's. I assume she would fall under the 100-year rule.
PM me if you want the nitty gritty about the records.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 23:13 BST (UK) »
I should have said that the Garlands , or more properly, The Cumberland and Westmorland Mental Asylum, maintained its own death register and this may well be available for consultation.

At one time low risk patients could book in and pay for their care in a sheltered environment and call it their home. Some would take a suite of rooms and would have their own staff of maids, butler etc.

This was not common at the Garlands but at the Creighton Royal in Dumfries, 35 miles away, the hospital was noted for having houses built within the grounds to take care of the "idiot" offspring of the nobility and some of the houses were small mansions with butler, housekepper, maids, footmen, gardeners etc.  In these circumstances, the inmate could well have been classifed as occupier or perhaps the housekeeper could be so classed.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Sounds as if you have a death date.  If she died locally we could look up the burial registers for Carlisle Richard Street cemetery.  There might also be an announcement in a local paper.  Either of these would not be too difficult with a date.  I should be in the record office some time soon or maybe you have access?

There are also registers for Upperby but I think if it's fairly recent you may have to contact stanwix cemetery, (Both within the modern city of Carlisle).

Do you know where Kitty lived before entering Garlands?

She might be buried there.

If it's not too big an area and not too recent, we might be able to check for burial.  I'm happy to try.

I've never actually looked for a cremation, but it might be announced in the paper.

Good hunting.

Best wishes

Emms :)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 20:07 BST (UK) »
PS

Thinking about it, in this area, I think "Resident" would be more likely to imply that she was in a long term care ward.

I don't know how well you know the area though.  There's a possibility she could could be from one of the towns quite a way away in the county, if there were  no local care or cottage hospital bed or if her condition could not be treated elsewhere.

Can you give a bit more detail of date or area?  If it's too recent and you're not happy posting it, pm me and I'll have a go.  If it's not though and you're happy posting there will be more chance of help.

Best wishes

Emms

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 22:20 BST (UK) »
Sounds as if you have a death date.

I think this death may have been registered in November 1991.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
Mm

Thank you Goeff

If it is the one, it's very recent so we need care what goes on here, and depending where the lady came from, the records from the cemetery or crem itself.  I think you'd be lucky if anything that recent was in registers at archives or libraries.

A local newspaper might still give us the key.  Not  sure where the ones for that date are.  Again it would be useful to know what her local town was.

Best wishes

Emms

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 17:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry for delay in replying, have been away. Yes Kitty died in november 1991. I do not know how long she was in the Garlands but her husband Ernest Gore lived at 83 Broad Street, Carlisle and left £3041 17s 2d to a Thomas Liddle Sibson solicitor when he died in 1957, perhaps for her care??
Carol
Muckley, Routledge, Roe, Bontoft, Brumpton, Bills, Aspatria, Carlisle

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 September 12 08:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry for delay in replying, have been away. Yes Kitty died in november 1991. I do not know how long she was in the Garlands but her husband Ernest Gore lived at 83 Broad Street, Carlisle and left £3041 17s 2d to a Thomas Liddle Sibson solicitor when he died in 1957, perhaps for her care??
Carol
Hi Carol, Thomas Liddle Sibson would have been the Executor of the Will and not the person who was left the money, you can get the Will from the following link

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/copies-of-grants-wills

Marg
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich