Author Topic: John Irwin  (Read 12144 times)

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Irwin
« on: Wednesday 23 May 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information about John Irwin, father of Joseph Irwin who married Margaret Wray on 22nd May 1873 in 1st Dunboe Pres Church.

Joseph Irwin was a merchant in Newtownlimavady. John Irwin was a miller.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Irwin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 May 12 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, you may already be aware but John Irwin left a Will, a copy of which is held in PRONI

REF: D1118/14/I/5

John Irwin of Roemill, Limavady, miller, probate copy of will and letters of administration.

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 May 12 12:27 BST (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation for 1858 has a James Irwin with a house, corn & flax mill plus 33 acres (plot 9a), in the townland of Drummond just outside Limavady. There was a John Irwin living adjacent in a house & gdn in plot 9e. Same family perhaps?
Elwyn

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 May 12 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you. I wasn't aware of the will in PRONI. It does sound like the right person.

The John in Drummond could well be the same family. Unfortunately there are a lot of Irwins in the Limavady area at this time.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 May 12 22:15 BST (UK) »

The John in Drummond could well be the same family. Unfortunately there are a lot of Irwins in the Limavady area at this time.

Yes, but I wouldn't expect too many of them to be millers.
Elwyn

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 07:35 BST (UK) »
I think this John who died 9th June 1895 is actually a brother of Joseph who married Margaret Wray and not the father.

I looked at John Irwin’s will yesterday and found that John had two brothers. Henry Irwin who was a woollen draper and Joseph Irwin who was in business with his brother. The firm was called J and J Irwin. According to the will his wife was called Susan. I have the marriage of John Irwin who married Susan Gault on 30th July 1878. John’s residence at the time of marriage was Ballyleaghery and Susan was from Terrydrum.

So it looks as though I am still hunting for the father!
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline forestial

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 05:34 BST (UK) »
I have a little bit of information about this: The John Irwin whose 1895 will you mention actually had 7 siblings: Joseph, Henry, xxx (died young), Robert, James, Elizabeth, William.   Their father was John who died in 1873.

The elder John's wife was Mary Ann Chambers, she died in 1903.   John came to Glen Mills (mill and farm in Ballymully townland) in 1872 just a year before he died.

The William mentioned above was my great-grandfather.

Glen Mills is still in our family today, owned by my brother and still a working mill.

(This is from notes compiled by my cousin many years ago: I don't know what they were based on and have not cross-checked against official sources.  Some of it will have been recollections of my grandfather William who died in 1983.)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 08:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

This is likely some of your family- "Irwin William of Glen Mills Limavady county Londonderry farmer and mill owner died 17 April 1931 Probate Londonderry 10 July to William Irwin farmer and mill owner. Effects £2814 6s." see www.proni.gov.uk
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 09:43 BST (UK) »
 Thanks for the information about John Irwin who died 1895.

I have the marriage of a William Irwin who married Mary Fleming on 3rd July 1918 in Balteagh. He was a farmer as was his father William Irwin. Place of residence for William Irwin the younger is given as Ballyleighery. Could this be your William?
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh