Author Topic: Messrs. LEARMONTH & ROBERTS  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Rose_Frankcombe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Messrs. LEARMONTH & ROBERTS
« on: Thursday 24 May 12 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I would like some information on either Mr. Learmonth or Mr. Roberts of Learmonth & Roberts, Leather Manufacturers, Bermondsey, Middlesex. I have some information on a Mr. Thomas Young Learmonth, of Learmonth & Roberts, Pages Wharf in 1860, and the death of a Mr. Thomas Young Learmonth in 1866. However, I have nothing on Mr. Roberts. If anyone can shed any light on either of these gentlemen I would very much appreciate it. I am particularly interested in the family of Mr. Roberts, what was his christian name, his wife's name and his childrens' names... Also, exactly where was Pages Wharf... Thank you... Rose

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Messrs. LEARMONTH & ROBERTS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 May 12 10:36 BST (UK) »
There is a Thomas Y Learmonth born Scotland age 40 in 1841 census St James Middlesex occupation merchant.

1851 age 68 St Marylebone Middlesex with wife Mary, sister in law and 3 servants.
1861 age 78 Hastings Sussex with wife Mary and servant.  His occupation "land in the colonies"

Do you think this is the right Thomas  :-\  His age leaps up a lot between 1841 and 1851.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 May 12 10:40 BST (UK) »
Oops no sorry that 1851/1861 must be someone else as the Thomas Y who dies 1866 is a bachelor.

Probate mentions a nephew Alexander a Lieutenant Colonel in the army.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 May 12 11:51 BST (UK) »
This seems to be sometimes mistranscribed as "Learmouth".
www.historicaldirectories.org:
In the 1841 directory there is a Daniel Roberts, leather dresser, 32 Leman St Goodman's fields & Page's Walk Bermondsey.  There's also EW and H Roberts, leather dressers, at Page's Walk.
By 1852 it's Learmonths' and Roberts at Bride Lane/Page Walk addresses.
In a directory of 1882 there is a J. Hewit and sons, successors to Learmonth and Roberts, addresses 24 Bride Lane, Fleet Street, EC & 98, Page's Walk, Bermondsey, SE.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/19576/pages/40
 - regarding "EW and H", here it appears that Edward Walton Roberts, Henry Roberts, and Daniel Roberts were in partnership in the 1830s.

It's not clear which Roberts was in partnership with Thomas Young Learmonth.
However, Edward Walton Roberts is easiest to trace:
He married Elizabeth Matilda Buckland in 1842 in St. Pancras and had a large number of children before he died in 1864 in Bermondsey. He was b. Battersea around 1802/3.

His christening is on familysearch with middle name indexed "Watton"; parents Edward and Jane. They also had a son Henry christened in 1808.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rose_Frankcombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 May 12 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Jorose & Millipede,

Thank you so much for getting back to me with a good mix of information for me to follow.

The reason I'm interested in the Roberts, of Learmonth and Roberts, is because I'm trying to see if there's any connection to an Amy Roberts, who married a Joseph Walden in 1822, she becoming the mother of James Walden who took up articles at Learmonth and Roberts at age 14, circa 1845.

I have some old maps of Bermondsey, and have seen Page's Walk on it, but the information I have is definitely Page's Wharf.

As I understand it, any apprenticeship would have lasted 7 years, so by the end of 1852, my young man James was then aboard ship on his way to Australia. 

From what you say, I'm wondering if the Edward Walton Roberts, might actually have been Edward Walden Roberts... It's a possibility if the transcription of the ledgers or perhaps the Gazettes compositor hasn't been correct in the spelling.

I will certainly chase up the London Gazette lead you have given, jorose.

Amy's birthplace has been mentioned as Picadilly. She would have been born around 1795.

Yes, millipede, I forgot to mention that the T Y Learmonth I found was a bachelor. I had been wondering if he'd been the son of... obviously a Learmonth, but did he take over the firm at some stage from his father, or work 'with' his father...

The TYL with wife and family could be bachelor Learmonth's father, as he would have been 18 in 1801, if you take 40 years off the 1841 census you mention. Further research, I think, but the name is so specific there has to be a connection. 

Much to think about. Very pleased to receive your information. Again, many thanks... Rose

Offline Roger Barlee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 12:21 BST (UK) »
Dear Rose,
I have just come across your messages about Learmouth and Roberts (98 Pages Walk and 24 Brides Lane London).  I am actually related to J Hewit & Sons who took over the tannery in 1870 and am interested in finding out about the history of the tannery site. 
From leather magazines I know that the tannery started in the late 1700's as in 1887 the article in the Leather Trades Circular and Review it stated that Learmouth and Roberts had traded for nearly a century.  I was wondering if you had come across more information in your family searches?
Kind Regards
Roger