Author Topic: Look up for these two men.  (Read 1954 times)

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up for these two men.
« on: Thursday 24 May 12 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My mother is 85 and we were talking today about where she came from in Belfast's Short Strand district and she asked me if I could find out about 2 young lads that she knew who served in WW2.
She said they were both killed on the same day but she is old and her memory isn't great these days. I looked up CWGC and couldn't find any sign of them.

Their names were John Stewart and Joseph (Joe) O'Brien maybe O'Brian. I was wndering if anyone on the site would be able to find them. Here's hoping.

Ed

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up for these two men.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 May 12 10:22 BST (UK) »
hi ed
as you say i can,t find any o brien or o brians at all for ww2 but there are a good number of john stewarts but without more info it looks unlikely you,ll find them  .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 May 12 14:31 BST (UK) »
Well, I can see Stewart's and O'Brien's but nothing that immediately jumps out as being these two chaps.

I think you need to ask your mother a couple of key things to make progress with this-
- does she remember if they were Army, Navy, RAF, Merchant Navy or indeed civilians?
- were they killed "away at war" somewhere or in the UK or more specifically Belfast? (did notice a few Belfast burials when looking at O'Briens & Stewarts, by implication meaning they died there)
- Any clue if this was early, mid or late wartime?

If you prompt her with specific questions, you never know it might jog some memories!
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 May 12 17:51 BST (UK) »
First thanks for your replies. As you have said I'd need to get more information on the men but the problem is my mother is very forgetful and I think she may be confused as to the both of them being killed together. There was one John Strewert in the Marine Corps that kind of fitted the bill as his parents were from Belfast but O'Brien not much doing there. She did say they were both very young only 17 or so but this is a bit thin as info goes. I'll try again to see if she can clear up a bit more on the memory banks. It must have effected here badly as she go quite emotional about it when she asked me.

Regards

Ed

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 22:49 BST (UK) »
Try Geoff's search engine and use the word Belfast in the section "include all words". This is what I came up for J O'Brien and also the link to the search engine. There's only a few for Stewart's as well.

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search39-47.php

O'BRIEN, J F
Service No:14187324
Date of Death:21/07/1947
Regiment/Service:Royal Armoured Corps
 17th/21st Lancers
Grave Reference9. J. 12.
CemeteryRAMLEH WAR CEMETERY
Additional Information:
Son of George and Edith O'Brien, of Belfast, Northern Ireland.
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline writer133

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 December 17 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Twenty-year-old Tpr James Francis O'Brien was critically wounded on the night of 19 July 1947 when his vehicle was blown up by an IED during a patrol in Jerusalem. He died in hospital on the 21st.

Can't help with Stewart as he was in the 17th/21st.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 09:46 GMT (UK) »
There is this
 https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2485327/o'brien,-joseph/
Forces records gives the additional info that he was born in Belfast and died at sea.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk