Author Topic: O'HARA FAMILY OF CREBILLY  (Read 9405 times)

Offline Sean T Traynor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ramoan Roots and more
    • View Profile
Re: O'HARA FAMILY OF CREBILLY
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 May 12 09:28 BST (UK) »
Brian O'Hara Chairperson of The Ballymena Branch of NIFHS has an amazing amount of information on these O'Hara's and is well informed on researching and resources available...............
http://www.nifhs.org/ballymena.htm

Traynor/Trainor, McDade, Kirkwood, McSheffrey County Antrim.
Stewart of Carndaisy, McKee and Warnock of Armaghbrague, Nummey, McKee of Newry,  Jemphrey Bessbrook -Belfast, Dolan,Mulvanny, Boylan and Walsh of Ardbraccan, Navan. McMaster, McKelvey of Comber, Belfast and Greencastle. McClean of Whitehouse. Welsh/Walsh Newtownards, Belfast.

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 05:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks - every time I log on, there is more to help me. I have just emailed Brian O'Hara so will await a hopeful reply to that.
I also went into the Ulster Historical Foundation site, I tried with the free search by putting in the name of Jane McCurly and up came her father John and year of marriage. I then tried with Henry O'Hara and up came zilch result, so I would say it is my lack of exxpertise with all matters technical.
I googled "Felix O'Hara" to see what I could spot and only found a Felix O'Hara who was born in 1732 in Antrim, but died in Quebec in 1805, and I could not find anymore in between, as in perhaps a son or grandson who returned to Ireland in order to have Henry's father Felix born in Ireland.
I am guessing that both Henry and Jane would have been born about 1835 so their parents would have been born about 1810.
I think I found parents for John McCurly in Bernard McCurly and Sarah Martin married in 1800 in Carnmoney, I also found seven children for them.
Many thanks,
Robin
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 June 12 00:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all who have helped in the last week or two. I have found the family of Jane McCurly, her father John appears to have been the son of Bernard McCurly and Sarah Martin of Carnmoney, Antrim.
In fact the first child of Bernard and Sarah was Robert Martin McCurly born in 1801, John came along at No. 5.
The name of Robert does not appear to be an O'Hara one and as it is the surname of Sarah, I would guess the Robert was also of her family, maybe her father's name.
Sarah was born in 1778 and I found several Robert Martin's in Carnmoney who could qualify for her father - 1733 was a bit early, another born in 1742 who married a Martha Kennedy in 1767/8 could be the one, and another named Robert Martien born in 1754 who married an Elizabeth Harper.
I have just realised that no-one over here knows the date or year of death of either Henry O'Hara or Jane McCurly.
I have tried the LDS site which gave me nothing and it must have been after 1873, the year of the birth of their last child William.
Many thanks
Robin
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robin - hopefully your email address is still current since this thread several years ago!  I'm also in New Zealand, and apparently descended from these O'Hara ancestors, according to notes in an old family bible, although I'm hunting down one missing link. 

I'd love to hear from you!

My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My daughter's family:  HAILEY, WAKEFIELD (=> NZ 1850s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline maggieblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Work hard, play hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 March 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I am in New Zealand and am hoping someone can put me in touch with a genealogist of the O'Hara family of Crebilly.
I have been doing my friend's O'Hara family history of the area and to be in touch with a family member would be of help.
I noticed that the O'Hara children have names that resonate with those of Crebilly family including the name of Hugh and Henry and the family comes from the same area.
It would be great to join the dots if possible.
Robin

Hi
Ballymena Family History Society which is a branch of the NIFHS (North of Ireland Family History Society.  There is a wealth of information on it re the O'Hara's of Crebilly.  Our chairman is an O'Hara and is related.  Many others are also researching the O'Hara surname in the group.  I have matches via Autosomal DNA to an O'Hara. 

Maggie

Antrim/Ahoghill/Broughshane Co Antrim - LYTTLE, MEEKE, SWANN, CRAIG, WALLACE, NICHOLL
Maghergall/Derriaghy Lisburn area - SINCLAIR, MCFARLAND, BRAITHWAITE, MORROW, VINT, ELWOOD, MCNEICE, CLOSE, HARBINSON, TODD, MCWATTERS, MCPEAKE, COURTNEY, THOMPSON, BELSHAW,  LARMOUR, DUBORDIEUR, STEWART, WIGGINS
Canada - SINCLAIR
New Zealand - MEEKE
Co Armagh/America - STEENSON
Co Tyrone/Co Londonderry GAMBLE, MOON, LOVE, ROBINSON, LINDSAY, COULTER, WHITE, LYONS, MOOREHEAD, BAIRD, MCCREA, LESLIE.

Offline Romandog1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 September 23 20:33 BST (UK) »
I am new to this site.  My 5th great grandparents were James Henry (very likely from Loughgiel, Antrim) and Margo or Margaret O'Hara.  Margot was born in 1778 in or near Ballymena, Antrim. They were married very near 1800 +-.  They had several children among whom was Robert, Alexander, James, Margaret, and Hugh.   The family immigrated to South Carolina, USA in 1820. James passed away soon after arrival. Margot died in Chester, S.C. in 1833. 

It is through this family, either Margot or James, that I am related by DNA to a woman in New Zealand.  We haven't found the exact connection. 

Should anyone have any information on either the Henry or O'Hara families that they can share, I will be eternally grateful.

Donald Carson Gates

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 September 23 07:46 BST (UK) »

Henry O'Hara married Jane McCURLY in Buckna Presbyterian Church, Ballymena District on 14 Feb 1855. The fathers' names were Felix O'Hara and John McCurly.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1855/09483/5436496.pdf
At Buckna Presbyterian Church
Henry from Broughshane, Jane living at Ballynacaird.

https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/antrim-lower/racavan/slemish/ballynacaird/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4220589#map=12/54.8774/-6.1898

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 September 23 08:29 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline DGBunch1972

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
Another newbie here.

I am looking for info on the family of my GGGG grandmother Rachel O'Hara. She married John Gilliland around 1805 and they had one child named Robert Gilliland born 1810 in Braid. They later moved to Scotland.