Author Topic: Trying to locate a will for a yorkshire ancestor.  (Read 10699 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate a will for a yorkshire ancestor.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 April 15 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Atina. Thanks for your reply. I would be 99% sure that could be him! Are there any other details for him (a residence listed, or a headstone). I will keep a record of the other two as I am not sure if and how they fit in just yet. Thankyou. Katharine.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 April 15 07:42 BST (UK) »
and can you tell me the source of this information please.

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline atina576

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 April 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Katherine,
I have two CDs - 'Thornton Old Bell Chapel' & 'Thornton: Kipping and New Road Chapels', the information came from
the second one. 
There is no information regarding a headstone but quite a few have fallen over & can't be transcribed.

Good luck.
Atina.
Illingworth,  Robinson - Thornton West Yorkshire
Pickles - Ripponden & Elland area West Yorkshire
Clark - Manningham Bradford, West Yorkshire
McLoughlin, McCleary, Cesnan, Rooney - Lancashire, Sligo.

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 21:42 BST (UK) »
There is a Joseph Atkinson buried 10 March 1835 at Kipping Independent Chapel, Thornton age 78 and 2 baptisms as follows (same Chapel) Sarah 13 Oct 1754 dau of Joseph Atkinson of Denholme (Weaver) & Susannah 3 May 1767 dau of Joseph Atkinson, Weaver of Denholme.

Hope this helps.
Atina.

Hi Katherine

Borthwick institute York university -York, Yorkshire, England UK

After checking the Wills index for  1835

May 1835  list

Number 319 Joseph Atkinson of Denholme - He left No Will but Administration applied for, Value of Estate -under £200

With Administration applied and passed for in the month May   its pretty much self evident just 2 month after burial of Joseph Atkinson 10th March 1835

There was No epitaph or gravestone in Arthur Blackburn's MI's for Joseph Atkinson 1835 burial in Kipping Independent MI's at Bradford Library search I did today (There still could be one in Bradford Historical society Epitaphs own list though.)

-----------------------
You can buy the Thornton: Kipping and New Road Chapels - Transcriptions of chapel records, memorials and monumental inscriptions (The CD that Atina found the burial of Joseph)

4th cream box up from the bottom of link (You may have to register on the website first)

http://www.genfair.co.uk/product_list.php?sid=12&page=17640
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi dobfarm. Thanks for the info. Well it certainly does look cut and dried that it is him.
I wonder if the death duty indexes might have further information. Or would there be letters of administration records that might reveal further personal details? And where would I get them from. Katharine.

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 08:25 BST (UK) »
Death duty stuff (See;- .... ExCt/York = Exchequer court of the Archbishop of York)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/death-duty-records-1796-to-1903.htm

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/deathduty.htm

The Admin info maybe on micro film at Borthwick York University, I'll be passing through to York sometime in the coming summer months on a day trip to the seaside at Bridlington and I'll call in at Borthwick. The info on Admin's is little, only a few signatures and who's owed money etc (Nothing like a Will)

-------------------

Footnote: It would appear the Foster families had the big money and owned lands around Denholme House going by other  Will values and their Epitaphs around 1780 to 1840 period. ? (Like bees around a hive)

Surname Atkinson seems alien to Denholme in the big picture  pre 1800's ??? going by epitaphs to the area-There was none or any but Foster's by the bucket load.

Joseph Atkinson Bapt 6 Jan 1757 son of John in Ripponden near Halifax  ???

:)

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 09:58 BST (UK) »
I phoned the Borthwick institute at York, only info on micro film will be name of person who applied for Administration with estate value also death duty will be the same with % of value of estate taken as tax. (Just a basic printed form)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobfarm. Thanks for your reply. Well if that is all that would be in those documents then its no bother not to have them. I appreciate your offer to look at them, but didn't expect you to go out of your way though.
I am interested in any information that you come across regarding these people in Denholme. I do have some references to Atkinson's living at Denholme House in the 1700s, primarily from those non-conformist church records.
BUT, I do know that Joseph's son/relative John married a Hannah Foster in 1813 at Bradford.
It is possible that is his birth. There is also another contender that was baptised at Allerton/Chapel Allerton.
Katharine.