Author Topic: Irving family of Isle of Man street Dumfries  (Read 7502 times)

Offline pink petunia

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irving family of Isle of Man street Dumfries
« on: Saturday 26 May 12 01:12 BST (UK) »
I have been recently drawn back to my Irving family who I have found on the 1851 census living at a street called Isle of Man in Dumfries.Looks like also two Irving families were living either together or next door.  Someone has told me that it was renamed at some point and as I would like to pinpoint it on a map I wonder what the new name was. Does anyone know?

Many thanks
pink petunia

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Irving family of Isle of Man street Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 May 12 12:00 BST (UK) »
What makes you think it was a street?

You could check addresses given either side of 'Isle of Man' from this transcript  www.maxwellancestry.com/census/51transcript.aspx?houseid=82121175

At least five households showing there (you can use the address search function www.maxwellancestry.com/census/51address.aspx)

The name Isle of Man name only seems to show in 1851. The closest to that name seems to the  Isle Of Mourness which shows in 1841 and Isle of Moss Road Newfield in 1861, also in Dumfries Burgh.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pink petunia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 May 12 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica. I only thought it was a street as a relative had been there looking a few years ago and was told the name had been changed.

Thank you for the link.

pink petunia

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 August 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
     This mystery also applies to one of my ancestors.     I have a Mary Ann Porteous, aged 53, who died in 1875 at Newfield, Isle of Man Moss, Dumfriesshire.      I don't see any Newfield in Dumfriesshire on the index of my atlas of Scotland.     This index gives small villages but not Newfield.     Just thought I would mention it.     I doubt if it is going to be solved after all this time.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 August 14 14:38 BST (UK) »
Doddsie, Newfield shows as a Cottage in a Will entry on SP from 1923 for an Agnes Copland: NEWFIELD COTTAGE, ISLE OF MAN MOSS, DUMFRIES. Maybe it was also a cottage name in the period you are looking at.

Pink Petunia, going back to your original post, two years later with more info always coming online...there is a reference to 'Road', see here www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/place-names/Dumfries%3B%20Holywood?class=parish&county=Dumfriesshire

This shows a Isle-of-man Road and an Isle of Man. Unfortunately, a description these places is on part of their database which is pay to view. Sometimes they link it to a map ref, but I couldn't easily see one on the page for this.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 August 14 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
As far as I know it still exists. It is a little farm on the edge of the Lochar Moss, near the Annan road junction with the Dumfries bypass.

Best wishes

Ian A McClumpha

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 August 14 21:34 BST (UK) »
     Thanks a lot Monica & Ian.      Mary Ann Porteous was living in Dumfries on the 1861 census.    This latest information means that there is no big problem about Isle of Man, because it is closeby.     I was bothered that it might be far away from Dumfries, and couldn't think why she would be out of that area.    I had no idea where it was, so thanks again.

I googled a site....  "Place names in Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland."    www.britishplacenames.co.uk/dumfries-and-galloway      When you scroll down, you come to Isle of Man, and click it to bring up a map.    The map is quite vague though.

As far as I can make out, Isle of Man is just south of the A75, where it turns NW on the eastern outskirts of Dumfries.    I think there is a railway line running from Dumfries to Annan, and it is also just south of that.    Elsewhere, I saw that the village of Collin is 4 miles from Dumfries and Isle of Man was three miles from Collin, and one mile from Dumfries.

Ian, I think this ties in with what you said.     

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 August 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
Can I thank you all for this thread - which has proved educational?!

Whenever I am adding to one of my trees on Ancestry, some person connected with the Isle of Man (the island, with the cats & kippers!!), Ancestry always comes up with the suggestion "Isle of Man, Dumfriesshire, Scotland".

Now I know why! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Kiltie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
I had ancestors living at the 'Isle of Man', Dumfries, in the 1850s! There were Wilsons.