Author Topic: Ashford residental home . middlesex  (Read 56685 times)

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ashford residental home . middlesex
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 21:47 BST (UK) »
My paternal Grandfather from Fulham died in 1912 at the age of 35 leaving about 9 children whose ages ranged from 1 to 13. I think it was because of this that my Grandmother had no choice but to put several of the children into ‘care’. At the age of 7, at least two of them, my dad and his twin brother were put into the West London District School and stayed there for 8 years (Sept 1914 till Sept 1922). From the entry records held at LMA they were there for ‘a holiday’. Clearly it was a pretty long holiday. Sadly apart from a Prayer/Hymn book that was presented to him when he left the school I have no mementoes of my dad’s stay there. It was therefore exciting for me to read about the find of these pieces of crockery. Although not born there, I now live in Ashford, about a mile or so from the former site of the school, so today, armed with a small fork and my wellies I was able to go there and retrieve a small number of these pieces of crockery. It is clear from the pieces I unearthed that they included jugs, mugs and plates, all marked with the school ‘emblem’. So, thanks to Jayne’s vigilance I now have some further items relating to my dad’s history. Thank You.
  I am so pleased you where able to find some more pieces of crockery how they got up by the road will remain a mystery but glad they did as so much building work over the years  has gone on where the building stood I doubt if anything remains there , also did you know the War Memorial in Church Rd has a whole side dedicated to the many boys who left& went from the school straight to War . The Library also has a few local history books with some info & photos of the school that you might like to add to your memories .

Offline Johnsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 22:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, how the crockery got to be where it is now is going to remain a mystery I think. I am aware of the names on the war memorial and over the years have obtained copies of the photos held in the library and elsewhere on the internet, but thanks for your suggestion regarding those. I also obtained copies of WLDS photos from the 'Blitz Kids' book written by David DeBurgh who also went to the school and which I would strongly recommend if you have not already read it.

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Saturday 06 January 18 07:53 GMT (UK) »
hi As the original submitter on this page i must say i am extremely proud of the numbers who have read and posted. I am not sure if i have mentioned i went to the LMA in 2016 to read all the notes my sister had the numbers for about our father 1927 -1941 , To be told there had been a change in policy and now we had to wait 100 years !!!! I will be a minuim of 84 before i ever see my fathers notes. what i was interested in below was the memorial mentioned  where it says it has the names of boys who went straight to war from the home . My father was in the amphibian corps and must have been very young . could sks please note one day if JAMES DAVID WHARTON  was on the memorial. he was a long term stay as he went there when he was 2 years. he was there with Winnie , Dot ,Arthur and himself . I have two year books i am happy to photograph and send to anyone interested. all the best . Fred .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Saturday 06 January 18 09:25 GMT (UK) »
hi As the original submitter on this page i must say i am extremely proud of the numbers who have read and posted. I am not sure if i have mentioned i went to the LMA in 2016 to read all the notes my sister had the numbers for about our father 1927 -1941 , To be told there had been a change in policy and now we had to wait 100 years !!!! I will be a minuim of 84 before i ever see my fathers notes. what i was interested in below was the memorial mentioned  where it says it has the names of boys who went straight to war from the home . My father was in the amphibian corps and must have been very young . could sks please note one day if JAMES DAVID WHARTON  was on the memorial. he was a long term stay as he went there when he was 2 years. he was there with Winnie , Dot ,Arthur and himself . I have two year books i am happy to photograph and send to anyone interested. all the best . Fred .

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Saturday 06 January 18 09:25 GMT (UK) »

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Saturday 06 January 18 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred & jane

Where is the war memorial?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Saturday 06 January 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »
I guess it is a war memorial for those who died not those who served ? I will try to enlarge photo .ty.Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Saturday 06 January 18 09:41 GMT (UK) »
  sorry have had to downsize photo so much to be able to post that it has become distorted. This is the memorial in Church Rd Ashford the rear had the whole side dedicated to the known boys that died these are i believe are only the boys that went to war directly from the home i understand lots where given no option when reaching the age as most where orphans unwanted ect it sounds horrible but it was an eazy way for them of removing the boys  from taking up space at the home (ship them off to the forces so don't have to rehome or find jobs ect )   James David Wharton does not appear on this but i know there was a plaque in the home dedecated to the war dead  where it is now or if it survived the demolition of the building i don't know . Spelthorne Museum in nearby Staines has a lot of info  phone 01784461804  they are closed till 3rd Feb for re vamp but there where still some staff there when i passed by last week

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Saturday 06 January 18 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred & jane

Where is the war memorial?
  Church Road Ashford  (the main high St .Ashford has no roads ending with  street so it is called Church Road) it is a rough 10 mins walk from the grounds of the old school was on