Author Topic: Ashford residental home . middlesex  (Read 56681 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ashford residental home . middlesex
« Reply #27 on: Friday 27 November 09 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Please use the personal messaging system to exchange email addresses. Posters cannot send or receive pms until they have made three posts.

Regards

Valda
co-moderator London and Middlesex board
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggi rose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 27 November 09 12:30 GMT (UK) »
trying to get in touch to leave email , apparently you haven't enough post for me to leave email for you ? i live in coventry now only place could get a house in 1960s as London had a waiting list for years, appears the same now ? but didn't want to go in flat from the flea bitten bedsitter ,  hope your be in touch so i will hear your considering the book, i used write a little but preffer to  narrate  to video for web,and its cheap publicity for world wide audience ,mind you your always be skint, think about it? its easier as i am bad speller , and its quicker. you take care you

Offline Gentry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I am posting this message on behalf of my freind phil ------, he and his brother john were at the school from 1933 to 1945 . he can remember all that was bad from this period of his life, Maidenhead, beatings cruelty  sexual abuse ect his toothe brush number.I am writing his memoirs and his life was not a bed of roses.

Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline maggi rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 15:36 GMT (UK) »
you keep going genda, about time the truth was nown

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 18:36 GMT (UK) »
hi maggie rose
extract from ashford libary local info sheet
The west  london district school for deprived children from Fulham,Hammersmith,and Paddington was opened in district road in 1870,that road was later renamed Woodthorpe Road & the old school building now forms part of the Ashford remand centre (demolished in1990)
Children from tots to teenagers were given an education,clothed& fed.most rmaned at the school for many years. london County Council took over the school in 1930 & during the next decade there where at times as many as 600 children on the roll
regards jeannette

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 19:56 GMT (UK) »
maggi rose
another extract says
in the early days(1887) the school had a full size model of a ship above the waterline standing in the grounds.it was used to train boys for the Merchant Navy.In 1901 there where 53 officers & their familys &790 inmates.many of these gave their lives in the great war 1914-1918. their names are recorded on the ashford war memorial.The row of terrace cottages between the district arms & the sub post office where built to accommodate the staff(these are still standing).The school also had a very fine brass band. i have a few pictures iv photo copied. when my daughter comes around at the week end i will get her to scan them in & forward to you as i can now send you a pm, if you want photos of cottages & war memorial let me know regards jeannette

Offline swampiesue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 14 January 10 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am asking on behalf of my My Mum Sylvia Purkins who was in Ashford Residential School from the age of around two in 1938 until she left in 1950-51 and wonders if anyone remembers her or any members of her family. She was evacuated during the war to Maidenhead Berkshire.

She too remembers scrubbing the floors as punishment for running away and scrumping in the orchard behind the school and walking the the back way to Staines. She also remembers the 6d penny rush at the pictures and holding the back door open to let others in and the dreadful mashed potato you ate.  Does anyone remember the School production of Toad of toad hall. ? She would love see see any photographs and hear some of your stories .

I Too have learned so much this afternoon finding this site and sharing so many memories with all of you and my Mum  and would love to hear more.

Offline swampiesue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 14 January 10 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Florentina Mum would have been there the same time as you  :)

Offline maggi rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 14 January 10 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi swampie thank you so much,does she remember me? dorm 87, the very freckled girl, who was always made to run and hurdles for sussex team? kept obsconding,I used to fancy a boy named ali becouse I thought he was a arabin prince we beleived any thing in those days, when we ent to walton on naze I do remember a young shy mate who used to tell me horrible tales about the tower and scare the hell out of me,also tell me when we slept i tents the ear wigs would go into my ears when i slept and make me deaf?we used to dilike (possibly jelouse a young blond gir who used to sing for us all? I am now 72yrs and stil a old loney codger but wont give in xxxxxx