Author Topic: Ashford residental home . middlesex  (Read 56271 times)

Offline molund

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ashford residental home . middlesex
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 March 09 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Was Ashford assiciated with the Catholic Church?

Great-grandmother had 14 children with 2 different husbands.  The children from the first marriage were Catholic, and at least 4 of them (including my grandfather) went to St Vincent's Mill Hill, after their father died in 1914.

In the second marriage, I'm not sure if they were Catholic.  After my great grandmother died in 1926, four of her children from the second marriage were sent to Ashford. 

- William -------- (b. 1922)
- Jane Catherine ------- (b 1924)
- Walter ------- (b. 1926)
- Arthur ------- (b.1926)

Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

They were admitted in on October 30, 1926.  Arthur died shortly after.  We have traced William and Jane, but have no idea what happened to Walter.

Offline Argyll

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 April 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
I entered the school in 1929 when I was just 2 years old and I was there until I was evacuated to Maidenhead in 1939. I remember Mr Wright (English), and the first Headmaster I recall was Mr Tregonning (unsure of the spelling). Every Summer we enjoyed a holiday in either Dymchurch (for the under 11's) or Wallton on the Naze. I lost touch with my friends Bill ------ (who I shared a dorm with), Gerald -------, and Bernard ------- so if anyone knows anything of them, or indeed anyone who was at the school at this time, I would be pleased to hear from you. 

Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 April 09 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi argyll, you would have been in Ashford the same time as my father James aka jimmy and his three sisters doll, Winnie and olive Wharton . dad would have been in there late 1927 at age three and stayed until he went out at 16 .
do you recognize any of these names . am i right in looking for the address of ashford residential home near Woking in old middlesex. dad told me nothing .
thanks
Jan
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline gnashers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 17:39 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to trace inmates from Ashford Residential School for years and came across The Rootschat by accident.
I can't help the originator of this enquiry but can confirm that I was there, along with my younger brother from 47 to late 49
(5o in his case)
Yes it was situated at the bottom of Woodthorpe road on a bend. It was, as has been commented, very Dickensian (Victorian). In my day it was a school for children with problems, of all sorts, at home.
I remember a few names 'Quigley' who I had a fight with,
Cedric ------- and his brother. George -----------. About 6 of us won a scholarship and travelled to a Central School in Southfields (a journey of well over an hour in each direction but that's another story. We used to go to Saturday morning pictures in Staines. one or two of us would pay 6old pence to go in, then charge 3old pence as we held the fire exit open for the rest! We had two (typically ex Army types) in charge 'Wally' Hammond and a Mr Walton. Although the discipline was tough (I had to stand facing a wall with my arms stretched out for about two hours just for scrumping) I found them both to be decent men and fair.

Does anyone remember 'The Tunnel' ? well it was a ditch that ran under the railway we used it often as a short cut to go to Staines or to escape if confined to quarters.

I was eventually stretchered out via 'The infimary' with suspected scarlet fever, which, as it turned out was the more serious Rheumatic Fever?!

By the time I left hospital some 10 months later my Mother had found a nice Council house in Kent, so I never returned to Ashford.

I could write a book about experiences there (mostly good ones).

Moderator Comment:

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 22:11 BST (UK) »
I think it must have been where the Remand Centre later was (Now knocked down and the site of a Women's Prison)

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • It's Déjà vu, all over again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 06:16 BST (UK) »

Those are the sort of current day memories that should be recorded, they are tomorrow's history.

It would be very interesting (but now probably impossible) to compare those days with my grandfather's experiences at the turn of the last century...

Thanks for that gnashers and welcome to Rootschat  ;D ;D

John
Researching: Reffell, Rattle, Summerhayes, Dane, Masset, Burchatt & Leshley... & Jones!

Offline Gentry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 June 09 17:13 BST (UK) »
I am posting this message on behalf of my freind phil ------, he and his brother john were at the school from 1933 to 1945 . he can remember all that was bad from this period of his life, Maidenhead, beatings cruelty  sexual abuse ect his toothe brush number.I am writing his memoirs and his life was not a bed of roses.

Moderator Comment:

Offline Florentina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 August 09 12:25 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to trace inmates from Ashford Residential School for years and came across The Rootschat by accident.
I can't help the originator of this enquiry but can confirm that I was there, along with my younger brother from 47 to late 49
(5o in his case)
Yes it was situated at the bottom of Woodthorpe road on a bend. It was, as has been commented, very Dickensian (Victorian). In my day it was a school for children with problems, of all sorts, at home.
I remember a few names 'Quigley' who I had a fight with,
Cedric Budd and his brother. George Warner. About 6 of us won a scholarship and travelled to a Central School in Southfields (a journey of well over an hour in each direction but that's another story. We used to go to Saturday morning pictures in Staines. one or two of us would pay 6old pence to go in, then charge 3old pence as we held the fire exit open for the rest! We had two (typically ex Army types) in charge 'Wally' Hammond and a Mr Walton. Although the discipline was tough (I had to stand facing a wall with my arms stretched out for about two hours just for scrumping) I found them both to be decent men and fair.

Does anyone remember 'The Tunnel' ? well it was a ditch that ran under the railway we used it often as a short cut to go to Staines or to escape if confined to quarters.

I was eventually stretchered out via 'The infimary' with suspected scarlet fever, which, as it turned out was the more serious Rheumatic Fever?!

By the time I left hospital some 10 months later my Mother had found a nice Council house in Kent, so I never returned to Ashford.

It would be great if you would think about writing a book on the subject of Ashford Residential School, Gnashers ;D

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 August 09 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could I remind posters please especially since this could be a very emotive subject for some people who may still be living and whose names have been posted on this topic that Rootshcat is a very public forum - Google indexes these topics within hours of them being posted and that some of these people may not wish to have their names in such a very public arena.

RootsChat policy is one of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.

Regards

Valda
co-moderator London and Middlesex board
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk