Author Topic: ROBERTS, AMEY (married: Holborn; Walden)  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERTS, AMEY (married: Holborn; Walden)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 May 12 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Eliza Holborn born Chelsea was a witness to her sister Mary Ann' marriage to John Smith at St Olave Bermondsey in 1832. She is still unmarried on the 1851 census. My copy of the image isn't great so this needs checking - Daniel Roberts is employing a certain number of employees

HO107 1563 folio 389
? Place St George Southwark
Daniel Roberts 53 Head Married Master Tanner ? Battersea Surrey
Jane Roberts 55 Wife Married Lumley? Durham
Arthur Roberts 20 Son Tanner under his father St George's Surrey
Ann Burrowforth 61 Wife's sister Unmarried Durham
Eliza Holborn 39 House Servant Chlsea Middlesex
Plus one other younger female house servant

Daniel is still in Southwark on the next two censuses confirming his age and birthplace. On the 1841 census also in Southwark HO107 1085 Bk 7 folio 11 both Eliza and Harriot Holbourn are female servants in the house. Eliza aged 25 and Harriot 20 (on the 1841 census adult ages, those over 15, are usually rounded down to the nearest 5).

Daniel Robert's baptism was at St Mary Battersea 19th June 1797 born 24th May. His parents were Edward and Jane. At the same church from 1798-1808 there were 6 other children baptised with parents Edward and Jane including Edward Walton Roberts in case the use of the middle name later proves helpful.

An Edward Roberts married a Jane Saunders 9th July 1796 at St Saviour Southwark. He was of the parish of Battersea and a bachelor. They married by licence and both signed. Witneses' names don't look helpful - John Cooper and A? Jones.

If Amy is connected to this Roberts family the dates don't quite match for a direct connection unless she was born before the marriage.

On the 1841 census with Daniel is Isabella Roberts aged 13. Googling gets this snippet.

'He married Isabella, daughter of Mr. Daniel Roberts, of the firm of Leamonth & Roberts leather manufacturers of Bermondsey...'

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rose_Frankcombe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 May 12 02:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Valda.

By 1837/8 Daniel Roberts and his brothers Edward Walton Roberts and Henry Roberts, dissolved their business partnership. I don't think Amy belongs to this family directly, but perhaps she could be a cousin.

From what you tell me, Eliza and Harriet are in Daniel's house? I will look this up next.

I appear to have found 8 children so far for Edward and Jane, and yes, the Edward Walton Roberts is very telling, if one takes the 'Walton' as a derivation.corruption of Walden.

I think I will have to pursue any connection I can find to the Roberts' boys parents Edward and Jane, particularly Edward's siblings, to see if one of his brothers is Amy's father.

I think we may now have the Roberts of Learmonth and Roberts, if this information is post 1838. Daniel may well have taken up a new business partnership with Thomas Learmonth.

More avenues to pursue... I will add them to my growing list... LOL... Rose

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 May 12 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

It looks quite clearly Walton. If the Roberts and the Holburns are connected through the leather trade there is no real reason for Joseph Walden, initially a carpenter from Essex to know and have links to the family any earlier than his arrival in the Bermondsey area from Essex.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarionSq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 March 16 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi to Valda & Rose
I have only just discovered RootsChat and and this thread concerning Amy Roberts and her husband Joseph WALDEN.  They were my maternal great x3 grandparents via their daughter Sophia WALDEN & her husband Joseph NEALE.  In turn their son Hansell Joseph had a son William Hansell NEALE who was my mother's father.
If this thread is still active I am happy to exchange information & research.
Best wishes
Marion

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 March 16 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marion

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

according to her profile Rose hasn't been here since April 2015 but as long as her email address hasn't changed should receive a notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline hilaryjane0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 March 17 08:28 GMT (UK) »
I have only just come across Rootsweb so possibly, Rose, you are no longer there or have found what you are looking for.

Amey Roberts is in fact Amey Robertson, baptised at St James Piccadilly on 2 December 1792.  She was married to William Holburn in that name, and signed as such.  Her parents were George and Amey Robertson, married on 3 January 1790 at St. George's Hanover Square.  I have only just found all this out myself so haven't gone further back at this stage!  She named her first born son with Joseph Walden George Robertson.  I am also descended via their daughter Sophia, then her daughter Amy Sophia Neale.

Hilary

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 March 17 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hilary

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Rose still hasn't been back to Rootschat since the last post so I'll send her a personal message to let her know about updates to the topic.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline MarionSq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 March 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hilary
I was interested to see your post to this thread as I too am descended from Sophia WALDEN & Joseph NEALE via their son Hansell Joseph NEALE, sister of Amy Sophia.  I cannot add much to what has already been posted on the WALDEN family but I am happy to share any information especially on the WALDEN/NEALE family going forward.

Marion

Offline hilaryjane0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 March 17 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Marion, yes I had noted your descent from your previous posting.  Since I posted this morning I have been searching with Find my Past for George Robertson and Amey Webb's births, burials etc. but without much luck.  Amey may have been baptised in Whitechapel but the only link is that her mother would have been Mary, and she named her first born girl Mary Webb, which would have been her mother's name.  A strong link but not conclusive!  If I do find anything else I will post it.

Best regards
Hilary