Author Topic: birth certificat in Co. Louth  (Read 10322 times)

Offline Katecait

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
birth certificat in Co. Louth
« on: Saturday 26 May 12 20:25 BST (UK) »

Would welcome any suggestions as to how to find birth certificate for my grandfather with only marriage certificate (indicating he was born c. 1888) to start with and only his father's name.  Have not had much luck with local churches and searches on genealogy websites have come up with nothing with the information I have.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: birth certificat in Co. Louth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 May 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
Dont know which sources you've tried already, but a BMD Index for Irish records is available on FamilySearch ... but if it's a common name you might need some idea of which part of the county he came from to narrow down the possible results. To see father's name and occupation you will need to order some certs.

Have you located your Grandfather on any Irish census returns ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records
         Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Katecait

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 May 12 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for getting back to me.  The BMD records have thrown up nothing, which is frustrating because his name is not the commonest Irish name, although there are plenty enough.  I ordered the Marriage Certificate from Co. Roscommon and I was thinking of ringing them actually.  I'm fairly certain I have looked on the Census without luck.  I will look again today though.  It's odd because I still have relatives in Co. Louth (though not in touch) and the family seems to have been rooted there for well over a century.  It is also frustrating because the person I'm really interested in finding is way back in the 1790's to early 1800's and I can't make the jump yet!  Thanks so much for taking the time to write to me

Kate

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 May 12 16:21 BST (UK) »
What's your grandfather's name, and where did he get married ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Katecait

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 May 12 16:40 BST (UK) »

Hello Shane,

His name was George Blanchfield and he got married at the Church of Haggardstown, Dundalk in March 1915.  I found what I thought was the church of Haggardstown to try and get more information but what came back was that there are several churches of Haggardstown? and anyway the one I hit upon was not the right one.  He was also listed as a resident of Fairhill, which I believe is an area of Dundalk.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 May 12 16:41 BST (UK) »
forgot to ask... what was his father's name and occupation ?

S.

My Surname Interests

Offline Katecait

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 May 12 16:43 BST (UK) »

John Blanchfield, Labourer.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 May 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
was your George a groom ?

if so, he's living in Greenoge townland near Dunshaughlin in Co. Meath in 1911 ... not with family at the time. His place of birth is given as Co. Meath.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline Katecait

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 May 12 16:53 BST (UK) »

Sadly, I don't think so. He too is listed as a labourer and I have never heard groom mentioned as one of his occupations or any connection with Meath.  As I said he married in 1915, his wife died in her thirties and he migrated to Dublin with his young children and died there in the 1970's.

Thanks, though, for your continuing help

Kate