Author Topic: Expertese sought -tracking Yorkshire ancestor born pre 1710  (Read 21306 times)

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Expertese sought -tracking Yorkshire ancestor born pre 1710
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 00:58 BST (UK) »
Here are a couple of examples of mine which might help you decide how far (and why) your ancestor could have moved quite a long distance.   Back in the 1950s when only winding country lanes existed my (then) farmhand boyfriend was sent to work on a farm at harvest time which was 40 miles north of his usual workplace, which was on an East Yorkshire farm.  I have written proof that my West Riding, Yorkshire domestic servant ancestor whose father worked for land owning gentry was sent from Yorkshire to work in the gentry's London house - she married in Westminster, London 1810 and was back up north with her parents in 1813 where the vicar made a note on their baby's baptism record that the father was a servant in London.

The easiest and quickest method of moving great distances several centuries ago was by boat and you might find that your ancestor travelled part way along the River Derwent - I've found a website which might help you plot any likely route:-
http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/river-derwent-yorkshire/map

There are some Yorkshire Parish books online on this site - there is a facility for searching for words when you open each book online.

http://archive.org/search.php?query=Yorkshire%20Parish%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts
[Thanks very much---the yorkshire parish information is great! . I will search through it for hanleys ---many thanks.e]

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 01:00 BST (UK) »
Just had a quick look at the Sutton Upon Derwent Parish website:

http://www.suttonuponderwent.org.uk/

There are some extracts from the parish registers, which look unusually detailed, at least at some periods. It's worth looking at them in case there is more information about your ancestor, or perhaps contacting the webmaster directly.

Anne
[Thanks very much --had a quick look --interesting site . Very quickly nothing jumped up ---but will study in detail later]

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 01:03 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Hearth tax?  Here is a link for West Yorks    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,524947.0.html

You could ask on the East Riding forum to see if anybody could do you a surname search for that area.

You are doing what I have had to do for some of my ancestors when I got back to the point where there seemed to be no earlier parish entries. The gaps in the IGI are annoying, though I think that sometimes they are there because there already exists a transcript.

On the subject of Ag labs moving about I have read that it was common practice to hire labourers from the next parish because when they were no longer required they would have to return to their own parish for poor relief and I have found that labourers would often live close to parish boundaries for this reason.
The only other means of extra parochial movement which I have observed is within manors, the coverage of which can be hard to fathom but it is worth looking at.

Stu
[Thanks Stu--just found out how to respond individually . I have been answering to now as a add on reply]

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 01:27 BST (UK) »
never really understood diffrence between IGI site and LDS sites--thought both the same origin.

The IGI is an index of the ordinances of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.   Nothing more, nothing less. It is not and never has been an index of parish registers although the infomration on it is very useful for us.   Not every parish is covered and even those that are on it often have entries missing. 
However, the LDS church also film a lot of registers and those are available for viewing at their centres.  If you order one you then see all the entries, including burials, and can really build up a full picture of your family.

Regards
Andrea

[Thanks Andrea--just found out how to reply to individual responses.

our info on LDS film registers was very informative --even thougj I live in W. australia I have a centre near me.  I will presumably need to narrow the parishes down first --otherwise I will be requesting heaps 9 (40+) parish records
Thanks again]

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 01:31 BST (UK) »
These are the Hanleys who paid the hearth tax for West Yorks in 1672

Name      Hearths paid   Parish

.....Hanley                    1   Dent 6th Bill
Christopr Hanley or
Roger Sloney            2   Fountains Earth
Richard Hanley            1   Marton with Grafton
Roger Hanley            1   Nun Monkton
Thomas Hanley         2   Stonebeck Up
Robert Hanley            1   Little Ouseburn
Willm Hanley             6   Pontefract, New Market
Robert Hanley            1   South Kirkby
John Hanley            4   Tanshelf
Henry Hanley            1   Womersley
Ralph Hanley            1   Langsett
Willm Hanley            2   Bentley with Arksey
Willm Hanley            3   Bentley with Arksey
Michaell Hanley         2   Hatfield
Richard Hanley      Const   Marr
James Hanley            2   Rawmarsh
Robert Handley         1   Sedbergh, first bill Marthwaite Quarter
Robert Handley         1   Sedbergh, first bill Marthwaite Quarter
Widdow Handley         2   Barnby Dun

The only problem being that not everybody paid, my farm labourer ancestors were listed as exempt.

[Thanks for info--just found out how to rely individually .

I did reply through the chain to you . Foundhearth tax info informative -- I mentioned no hanleys/handley--or ainleys in East yorkshire Hearth tax --which strengthens belief that we came from west Yorkshire]

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 01:33 BST (UK) »
This is a real long shot, but there is a Thomas Anley (christian name transcribed as 'Thoma') baptised on 3/8/1707 in Elland. Father also named Thomas. This is from the Englis baptisms on the Family Search Site.

Not being a Yorkshire lass, I am not sure where Elland is in relation to the parish you are interested in.

June

[Thanks June --just found out how to reply directly /individually ---but did reply through the chain .
philip hanley ]

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 06:14 BST (UK) »
Going by this hearth Tax list of Hanley's -I would concentrate my searching parish's 10 miles either side  up the river Ouse between  Borough bridge and York North/West York. It makes sense  ::) as people would travel meeting in York market casual also the labour market of an army of farm hands that travelled farm to farm at harvest time out of York also used to drive live stock to York market- Ho! these folk traveled about and 10 miles was nothing on the flat plains of the Vale of York
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 11:03 BST (UK) »
Something of a guess, but a maximum of 30 miles apart I would say. As Dobfarm says this is nothing to people used to driving stock to market. In the same period in the next county, people would move from Boston in Lincolnshire to attend the market in Lincoln, distance over 30 miles in each direction, a round trip of 60+ miles to sell wares, or to attend hiring fairs.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 11:14 BST (UK) »
Agree about ag labs travelling some distance. I have ag labs near this area . On the 1841 census at Coneythorpe (the village near Knaresborough) are the extended  family but the wife/mother/grandmother is miles away working uptoward the Thirsk area on her own . 50 years later their  ag lab grandsons children are all  born  in different places , as far apart as Settle to Bradford to  Tadcaster but at certain points he returns to the same area his grandparents came from for farm  work .   Children could be literally 'farmed out'  too  at some distance ,  living in barns and such like for seasonal farm labour  . Also  there are quite a lot of Catholics  in this part of Yorkshire , though im not sure how that might affect the  records for the timescale you are looking at . I  remember a thread on this site re the high illigitimacy rates in Yorkshire  . Something i have also  found true with my own ag labs in this area .   Not sure if this helps but good luck.