Author Topic: Expertese sought -tracking Yorkshire ancestor born pre 1710  (Read 21310 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Expertese sought -tracking Yorkshire ancestor born pre 1710
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
. . . just had a thought , have you tried the Recusant (Catholics)  lists ? They are quite long for this area

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 14:26 BST (UK) »
Going by this hearth Tax list of Hanley's -I would concentrate my searching parish's 10 miles either side  up the river Ouse between  Borough bridge and York North/West York. It makes sense  ::) as people would travel meeting in York market casual also the labour market of an army of farm hands that travelled farm to farm at harvest time out of York also used to drive live stock to York market- Ho! these folk traveled about and 10 miles was nothing on the flat plains of the Vale of York

[Thanks for your input--appreciated
I think I follow your logic -- large labour fair in York and easy access from the north east along the flat lands surrounding the Ouse allowing agricultural labourers  easy means of attending and returning in a day .

Any idea of how many parishes are covered within your search boundary.

Not quite sure your opening line of "going by the hearth tax list of hanleys --unless the majority of parishes in the hearth tax are to NE of York ?---have not checked as yet

On the parish maps I have been marking up I did indeed find a few parishes NE of York with hanley--little ouseburn for one. But have not gone much further north.

I did however identify some 20 parishes in the middle of WR  (Leeds to Doncaster) where the hanley name appers pre 1710 .

Do you think there is less likelhood that agricultural labourers travelled from this area to Sutton upon derwent  --than from the north west of York??

Regards --and thanks again

phil hanley]

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 14:28 BST (UK) »
Going by this hearth Tax list of Hanley's -I would concentrate my searching parish's 10 miles either side  up the river Ouse between  Borough bridge and York North/West York. It makes sense  ::) as people would travel meeting in York market casual also the labour market of an army of farm hands that travelled farm to farm at harvest time out of York also used to drive live stock to York market- Ho! these folk traveled about and 10 miles was nothing on the flat plains of the Vale of York

I think I follow your logic -- large labour fair in York and easy access from the north east along the flat lands surrounding the Ouse allowing agricultural labourers  easy means of attending and returning in a day .

Not quite sure your opening line of "going by the hearth tax list of hanleys --unless the majority of parishes in the hearth tax are to NE of York ?---have not checked as yet

On the parish maps I have been marking up I did indeed find a few parishes NE of York with hanley--little ouseburn for one. But have not gone much further north.

I did however identify some 20 parishes in the middle of WR  (Leeds to Doncaster) where the hanley name appers pre 1710 .

Do you think there is less likelhood that agricultural labourers travelled from this area to Sutton upon derwent  --than from the north west of York??

phil hanley][   excuse use of NE of york --should of course been NW of York]

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 31 May 12 13:22 BST (UK) »
Response to 10 miles either side of river ouse from York to Boroughbridge --based on hearth tax data

had a quick look at this--
First off would say 10 miles either side would probably take in about 40 parishes .

The hearth tax of WR of yorkshire  provides two parishes with the hanley name --in this zone ---Nun Monkton and Little Ouseburn -both of which i have already marked with hanley presence pre 1710.
Note no hanleys/handleys were listed on the hearth tax of North Yorkshire --does that remove them for now..

I also noted the hanley/handley  name of hearth tax in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard --which again I had already picked up on.
Another 5 plus  miles further on --but still I would say within an easy days return of york.
Also name of thomas hanley --which was promising.

A search of Ancesty.uk. com --for any surname --showes nothing for these 3 parishes. I find it dissapointing that there is no list of parishes covered upfront without entering search requests.---- would save an immense amount of time

A search on familysearch.org shows all 3 parishes have some births covered between 1700 and 1710--  Nun Monkton however only dates from 1705 onwards .

None show a thomas hanley/handley.  Nunmonkton has a Elizabeth hanley born 28/11/170--father edward daniel . This raises possibility of an earlier son (my thomas?) but the name edward is unusual --and is not a name my Thomas gave to his sons --thomas , John and william.

The FamilySearch library catalogue lists all parish records from mid 1600.

Given the above --is it premature at this time to persue/purchase records with Family search --or North Yorkshire county records office --for these parishes --or is it better to narrow probabilities before getteing to this stage?.

Bearing in mind there are 20 odd parishes in central WR ( leeds to Doncaster ) where hanley name appears pre 1710.

The hearth tax ( 1672) re-inforced my parishes around Doncaster area - South kirkby,Wormesley,Barnby Dun, Marr, Pontefract--all of which I have previously picked up on .  This does seem to be the central area where most hanley names appear.in WR.

Again my strategy has been to try and narrow these parishes down --if possible -through on-line means --but also to add on adjacent parishes .

Philip hanley 

Phil Hanley

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 31 May 12 13:26 BST (UK) »

phil hanley]

[have added a formal reply on my study over last day--that way more people might input as possibly most  effective/efficient way forward.
Regards Phil hanley]

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 31 May 12 13:28 BST (UK) »
. . . just had a thought , have you tried the Recusant (Catholics)  lists ? They are quite long for this area
[thanks --where do I find it?]

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 31 May 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
These are the Hanleys who paid the hearth tax for West Yorks in 1672

Name      Hearths paid   Parish

.....Hanley                    1   Dent 6th Bill
Christopr Hanley or
Roger Sloney            2   Fountains Earth
Richard Hanley            1   Marton with Grafton
Roger Hanley            1   Nun Monkton
Thomas Hanley         2   Stonebeck Up
Robert Hanley            1   Little Ouseburn
Willm Hanley             6   Pontefract, New Market
Robert Hanley            1   South Kirkby
John Hanley            4   Tanshelf
Henry Hanley            1   Womersley
Ralph Hanley            1   Langsett
Willm Hanley            2   Bentley with Arksey
Willm Hanley            3   Bentley with Arksey
Michaell Hanley         2   Hatfield
Richard Hanley      Const   Marr
James Hanley            2   Rawmarsh
Robert Handley         1   Sedbergh, first bill Marthwaite Quarter
Robert Handley         1   Sedbergh, first bill Marthwaite Quarter
Widdow Handley         2   Barnby Dun

The only problem being that not everybody paid, my farm labourer ancestors were listed as exempt.

When I said 'going by the Hearthtax' some of these parish's are in the Vale of York or near.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 31 May 12 15:43 BST (UK) »
What I will add, as we agree the city/town markets was the meeting places! these 'ag labs' would sleep the night at farms en route in the barns etc as it was their jobs with farmers as part of the infrastructure them days in farming.

Putting it short they had feet or hitch a lift on a cart and sleep under a tree in summer or in barn/ make shift tent. (made of twigs, branches and large leaves etc-ie ~Robin Hood style~.)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 31 May 12 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Its like being Sherlock Holmes doing this ancestry lark lol.
Did try and have a look for you but although I have found
Hanleys in Yorkshire I cannot find one born 1704/5//6 time
you are looking for.  There are Hanleys in Pocklington back
to 1500's and also some at Brodsworth.  Both a few miles
and walkable in those days to Sutton on Derwent. If you look
for the Derwent River it comes past and through alot of Yorkshire
villages which I looked on the IGI for and Hanleys everywhere.
I did notice that some one had put Barnby Dun on the Heath Tax.
A few weeks ago I did a look up for someone around Doncaster whose
ancestor a agricultural labourer ended up in Hull. They couldnt understand
how they got so far away.
I then did some research and the River Trent runs through Nottinghamshire
and then Yorkshire through Barnby Dun and goes to the North Sea when it meets the Humber
estuary.  So lots of Agricultural Labourers did use the rivers in those
days. 10 miles was not far for me to walk when I was younger, I have
never had a car and although I am now 65 and can do one mile in speed
walking in 12 minutes. So dont disregard the amount of walking people
did as I did that in the 50's and 60's.  No PC or I pod to keep you in
when I was a kid. laugh.  I have found that after years of research
you have to be flexible not only in the spelling of names but how our
ancestors got around.   They had to move around to get money to live.
No Government handouts in those days.
Hope you eventually find your Thomas but have a look up for the
Derwent River, Yorkshire and see the map of how it gets to Sutton

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown