Author Topic: Expertese sought -tracking Yorkshire ancestor born pre 1710  (Read 21378 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Expertese sought -tracking Yorkshire ancestor born pre 1710
« Reply #63 on: Monday 09 July 12 11:07 BST (UK) »
Go for that Phillip. I am aware there are several members of DFHS who might be ab le to help.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Louise Rainbow

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Have just discovered your messages posted on Rootschat, and followed the discussion over many pages. From Hobart Tasmania, I have been researching the Hanley[Handley] family and also have been stumped with Thomas Hanley and Emmet Johnson. My Handley line also springs from this source. William Handley, son of William and Hannah Handley and born in York was transported to Van Diemens Land. His younger brother James migrated later and was sponsored by his brother.
I was interested in the DNA discussion briefly mentioned with respect to the ancestry of the Hanley line, possibly having some genesis with the Vikings. I have reason to believe that we are [without any testing] as my brother has a minor medical condition possibly inherited through this lineage.
Many thanks
Louise

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Have just discovered your messages posted on Rootschat, and followed the discussion over many pages. From Hobart Tasmania, I have been researching the Hanley[Handley] family and also have been stumped with Thomas Hanley and Emmet Johnson. My Handley line also springs from this source. William Handley, son of William and Hannah Handley and born in York was transported to Van Diemens Land. His younger brother James migrated later and was sponsored by his brother.
I was interested in the DNA discussion briefly mentioned with respect to the ancestry of the Hanley line, possibly having some genesis with the Vikings. I have reason to believe that we are [without any testing] as my brother has a minor medical condition possibly inherited through this lineage.
Many thanks
Louise

reply to Louise,

Been a while since my last posting on roots -- see if I can remember how to reply.

First off which William are we referring to who went to Tasmania ? Can you say how he is linked to the thomas hanley who married emmet johnson in 1728 in sutton upon derwent ?
There are a few  William and Hannahs in my tree .

Figure Hanleys originated from at least 3 places in UK ---West Riding (Elland--my mob) , Hampshire and Ireland.
Gave up my search for birthplace of Thomas ( born abt 1704 ,married  in 1728) for now --too many parish records still not on-line . Must have eliminated 60 plus  parishes ( of the most likely ) --but 100s more.
WRT  DNA -- my (limited) understanding is that it simply places the basic tribe of origin from 1 to 2  1000's years ago ie Asian , African,
 Going that far back I would say it would not shed light on present day health.

Quite happy to exchange info --but as unlikely to be part of the thread of "Search for Thomas Hanley" perhaps we could work through direct personnal mesages .
Can't remember at the moment  how to do this -and away for a few days --but could have a go on my return..

Regards Phil Hanley

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 16:59 GMT (UK) »
A 37 marker Y chromsome test with FTDNA costs approx £90. As you and your brother will show the same markers, one will be OK for both of you, so if you want one, why not ask him to go halves?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 07 February 13 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Snaith Parish Reg bapt 1559-1901
The first mention of Hanley is John s of William 1736
oly
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 07 February 13 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Doncaster St George Bapt -  Thomas s of William Hanley labourer - 10 Oct 1706
Oly
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 08 February 13 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Doncaster St George Bapt -  Thomas s of William Hanley labourer - 10 Oct 1706
Oly
Reply to Oly.

Thanks for info-I  have searched that many parishes now I have begun to forget which ones .

I held out some hope that the Thomas Hanlay born badsworth in 1676 may have been my Thomas's ( born abt 1704 ) father--but could find no trace of him. My thinking was if I could find the parish of his marraige or death I might hit on a Thomas birth around 1704/6.
This Thomas ( b 1676) had two brothers --John and William -both born in badsworth. It would appear William died in Badsworth and John in Pontefract . No Thomas seems to have been born to these.

Your Thomas Hanley born Doncaster in 1706 -father William -is probably the nearest I come to a possibility . I have long suspected Doncaster and Pontefract as the  areas Thomas is most likely to have come from .(Doncaster for reason that most parish records are not on line) . I did eliminate most parishes to the north of-- Doncaster --as I felt this was most likely where he would travel to Sutton upon Derwent from--as some 4 others to the south ( Barnby Dun,Armthorpe, Kirk sandall and Adwick le street -through purchase of parish records --Anyone like these ?

Can't think for the moment whether I actually covered Dncaster itself . .

My Thomas has his age recorded in Dec 1729 as 25 . Is it possibly then ( assuming the age is correct) that the Thomas born in doncaster in 1706 could be him? At this point in time I am thinking his year of birth more likely to be 1704/5 --but I know that the calender was different then -as year did not start till April.
Setting that aside--is there any trace of the marraige /death of the Doncaster born Thomas in /our adjacent to, Doncaster? .
This would then rule him out .

Thanks again
Regards Phil Hanley
Swillima 61ams n7beat r st

Offline KLM

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 10 February 13 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Doncaster Family History PR's are available to view on "Find my Past".
Malone...Cheshire & Lancashire.Boswell...Bucks and Hunts.Lister...Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 10 February 13 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Doncaster Family History PR's are available to view on "Find my Past".

reply to KLM
-never know wether to put response after [ quote] or inside

thanks --was in touch with Doncaster FHS  and looked at published material--gets expensive purchasing books/CDs just to eliminate --with nothing to go on .--bought 4--must be a way these 4 can be used to help others -.
 Their search costs--if memory serves -were relatively expensive.

You would think these days everything would be on computer and searching would be very simple and very quick. happy to pay 10 quid for that ---then  happy to purchase relevant books /cds.