Author Topic: Purves Family from the Borders down to Gateshead.  (Read 7404 times)

Offline lowanslow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Purves Family from the Borders down to Gateshead.
« on: Sunday 27 May 12 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi to anyone with any knowledge of the Purves line from Scotland. I have been putting together my Purvis history and struggled for a while but I think I have cracked it, but would like any thoughts or help to verify that I am on the right track. My Father was George Edward Purvis, his Father George William Harvey Purvis, his father John George Purvis, his father was George Purvis/es who was born in Norham, Northumberland. When I looked up the records I found his father was a John Purves, a carpenter from Lonformacus. His wife was a Isabella Weatherstone born 1827. Looking through the census records I became stumped at 1851 but the clue was there with a  Thomas Purves aged 21, in the 1861 census  a surprise to say the least. Married before to a Mary Delgaty, if I am on the right track. Once I checked with the Scottish sites it led me to what I was looking for I hoped. This has led me to a Alexander Purves who Married Elizabeth Dryden, and I believe had three sons , William, John and Andrew. Found Williams line no problem, John I believe is the start to mine, Andrew after 1841 seems to vanish ( any help with him would be a added bonus) Sorry for the long winded post but am I on the right track ? Any help would be good and where do I go from here, concerning  Alexander and Elizabeth.
Purvis/purves. conlon, carson. Birney, monaghan, moore. World war I/II. Raf.

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Purves Family from the Borders down to Gateshead.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 May 12 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Where was Andrew in 1841 & who was he with?

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline lowanslow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 May 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon01, In the 1841 census, it looks as though he is with his brother William, they are up at Roxburgshire, in the parish of Sprouston, Pottsclose.  I am almost sure that this is Williams brother, Andrew Purves, age 30, Ag. Lab. I thought it would have been easy to find him in the following years but there is no one of the right age. I thought he may have passed on, or emigrated ?

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 May 12 18:52 BST (UK) »
Can not see him anywhere.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline lowanslow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
Cheers for looking Sharon01, I have been struggling with this one, can not find him through the normal channels so I threw his name and the date on the web. The only hit I came up with was convict Transportation to Van Diemans Land in 1844/45. This might go a long way to explain the lack of info on the normal sites. Andrew Purves was shipped out on the Sir George Seymour, to Tasmania but was then moved on to Port Phillip. Well I am going to take the chance and start searching, not looking forward to this search. Cheers again lowanslow. :(

Offline MaggieAnne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 February 15 13:20 GMT (UK) »
This is my family - I now live in Australia. 

Are you still researching - happy to exchange information.

Thank you

Susan

Offline lowanslow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 February 15 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan, Mark here, yup its me, hope you found the info I sent interesting, mind boggling it is. I have another post on here (puzzled Purvis) that will tell you why I have followed the line I did. I will be sending you more information I have collected so hopefully we can try and find the correct people and line.  :)

Offline lowanslow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 February 15 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan, I popped these on here as well, more eyes and ideas the better. This is the Alexander 1762 I have been looking at first. You can just make out that here we have a Alex Purves with son Alex in 1762 with no mother though, I thought it was a bit strange at first not to have the mother recorded, but it might have been the practice. Then I thought what would cause some one to do this, I looked at the Marriages for the same year and came up with Alexander and Elizabeth, you can just make out the Surname of Swanston. They were being a little naughty with there marraige and were rebuked by the Kirk sessions, putting two and two together, I thought this could be the line I was looking for, if it is correct this couple also had another boy called Alexander in 1772. I have attachedthe certificates from the time also a apprentice list, this will show that one of the Alexanders began his apprenticeship in 1779, that is why and discounted Alexander from 1772 as being our direct line. I might have come up with Five but here's hoping not, or its back to the drawing board. Sent these to you as well. Happy Hunting to the both of us.

Offline lowanslow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 01:25 GMT (UK) »
And this one, oppsss, should have posted this on Sunday.