Author Topic: 19th Century Middleton Pubs?  (Read 5423 times)

Offline TreePrincess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
19th Century Middleton Pubs?
« on: Monday 28 May 12 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hello!
I just came across the Will of my great-great-great grandfather who died in Middleton in 1900. He was a Publican, and the Will states that he is "of the Hare & Hounds, Oldham Road".
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to find out more information about this place? I've had no luck with general internet searches or with the Manchester Directory!
Thanks!

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 19th Century Middleton Pubs?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 May 12 09:56 BST (UK) »
hello and welcome to rootschat  ;)
try this site www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/middleton/greater-manchester  from there you can see a photo of the hare and hounds at 228 oldham rd middleton it,s classed as a hotel now but from the pic still looks more like a pub .hope this helps
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline TreePrincess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 May 12 13:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much! Do you have any suggestions for how I could find out about ownership of the pub/inn in the late 1800's? I'm stumped as to where to look.

Steph

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 May 12 13:17 BST (UK) »
hi steph
well as a guess the first thing that would help is if you can find out who the brewers were for the area maybe then there might be records relating to them also trade directories for the period you want may help  have a look at the historical directories site theycover a good bit of the 1800,s  also now that your post has been moved to a better board you will get folk with more local knowledge helping you .
best wishes
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline brelwal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 June 12 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I've just read your question about the Hare and Hounds and live just up the road.  Do you want me to call in to speak to the current landlord to see if he has any old records?  - Just out of interest the road at the side of the pub goes up to an old building which is being restored called Tonge Hall and many of my family are from that area.  What is your grandfather's name and do you have any more details?
Cheers
Barbara

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 June 12 20:33 BST (UK) »
Have found a reference to the Hare and Hounds, Tonge Lane, Middleton in the Manchester Times,  Aug 10 1872 - landlord Simon Lancashire. Also found the pub on an 1848 OS map - Tonge Lane looks like an extension of Oldham Road at that time and appears to have been incorporated into Oldham Road by 1900? More checking to do.

Salter's Directories of Manchester/Salford around 1900 have 226 and 228 Oldham Road as a furniture shop. This is also reflected in the 1901 Census for 228 Oldham Road. Not found a Hare and Hounds in Oldham Road around this period

regards

Offline brelwal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just found an old book of mine which is called Middleton Pubs 1737-1993 and their licencees.  I have checked out the Hare and Hounds and this is what it says....
Simon Lancashire had the licence of the Hare and Hounds in 1870 followed by his wife, Martha, in 1890....  James Crawshaw was the licensee in 1891, followed by Joseph Taylor, a committee member of the local LVA, in 1902.  The owner of the Hare and Hounds around this time was William Hoyle and for a few years after his deal the pub was in the hands of his executors.  It then goes on describing the licensees and owners until 1989.

The first licencee of the pub was in 1809 but the author states that there has been a pub in the vicinity since the 17th Century.

If you want to know more (hope this helps) just let me know and I can copy the full page for you.

Cheers
Barbara

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 August 12 10:57 BST (UK) »
The Manchester & Lancs FHS bookshop (which you can view online - just go to the mlfhs website) used to hold quite a few books publ.  by Neil Richardson Publications. There were a fair few which focused on pubs in the areas around Manchester. I am not sure if there's one specifically for Middleton but it's worth a look at the list.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline bazzuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 10:10 BST (UK) »
my ex wife grt grandad was the landlord of the hare and hounds pub  his name was murray family