Author Topic: Dyer of Bath  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Lynnerosetta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dyer of Bath
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 March 16 23:45 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching DustyDocs and found this.
William Dyer s/o William Lee and Maria.Born Mar 1811 Christened 2 june 1811.St.Swithin Bath Somerset.
I also found William Lee (a tailor) marrying Maria Pullman 29 May 1798. Stoke Damerel Devon.
they had a son in Stoke Damerel.
James Pulman Lee born 3 jun 1799 Chr 15 SEpt 1800.Then appear to have moved as no more children there on record.
William Dyer. named all of his children middle name Lee.and he had a son William Lee Dyer.and a daughter Maria Lee Dyer.
What do you think?        Worth investigating?    I cannot find anything else that may be possible as he was adament that he was born 1811 Bath Somerset on all Census. Even though his last name appears to be Dyer on the Cens.

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lynnerosetta,

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at this. I am very interested in what you have found. Could it be he was not a Dyer after all? On the marriage certificate for his second marriage he states his father as William Dyer, also a tailor. On the baptism entry you found, is William's surname actually given as Dyer? The father is William Lee but not Dyer? Maybe he was illegitimate, and could therefore be known by whichever surname he chose, but where does Dyer come from? Raises a lot of questions but potentially gives some answers!

Interestingly, the name Lee comes down to further generations as well, eventually corrupted to Leigh. My husband's grandfather had this middle name. I think you might be on to something.

I will take some time to digest and see if there is any more I can find out. I had never come across that entry before. The mention of Lee would have got my attention for sure!

Thank you kindly  :)

Kells.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline Lynnerosetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Kells
I have found a few things on line and traced the Lee Family back to 1666.
someone posted a newpaper cutting for Liskeard in Cornwall. stating that a Wiliam Lee was sent to prison for 10months hard labour for stealing a joint of beef. I have discovered that William and Maria Lee lived in liskeard and had 2 children there. so this fits. William must have  served his sentence and moved away. eventually arriving in Bath Somerset for the birth of William Dyer Lee in 1811.Having changed his name from William Lee to William Dyer, Further I have found a William Lee born 25 aug 1766 in Hillfarrance Somerset to William Lee and Elizabeth Dyer. Maria Pulmans father was James ,thus the JamesPulman Lee born 3 june 1799 im Stoke Damerell where Wiliam and Maria where married. I have gone back on the pullman line and the Lee line. And think I have it correctly. Can I send you the Family group sheets that I have on them for you to confirm Please.I would need your address or private e-mail address to do this.  Lynne.

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 May 18 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynne,

Thanks for your messages, I have seen them both now.

I started a new thread after this one to address the William Lee background, as separate to my original William Dyer post.

I have traced Maria Pulman's side in Cornwall, but still haven't found anything that fits well for William Lee alias Dyer. I have his death certificate which states his age as 73 years in 1848 (birth approximately 1775). This is some way from 1766 so I have some misgivings about the link with the family you have found in Hillfarrance. However I would certainly consider all possibilities.

Can you please let me know where you found that the William born in Hillfarrance was a son of Elizabeth nee Dyer? I cannot find evidence of this.

I'm still unclear as to why he changed his name, and there are a number of possible reasons. I had thought the most likely one would have been illegitimacy.

I'll try some more looking into it.

Thanks again for your contact.

Kells.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline Lynnerosetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Kells.
I have found  on Find my past. 3 Lee/ Dyer marriages.
Charles Lee to Elizabeth Dyer. 8 aug 1775 Bridgewater Somerset. Charles was a sojourner.
William Lee  to Mary Dyer. 15 jun 1736 St.James Taunton Somerset.
William Lee to Elizabeth Dyer 2 june 1757 Hillfarrance Somerset.
the 2nd one seems too early.
I can find no children for Charles Lee and Elizabeth.

William Lee and Elizabeth Dyer.  had.
Elezabeth Lee bapt. June 1758 Hillfarrance.
Ann                 "   18 mar 1760     "
John         "      "   27 jan 1762      "
Martha      "      "    3 jul   1764     "
William      "      "  25 aug 1766     "
Thomas      "      "  21 nov 1768     "
James        "       "   2 sep 1770      "
Samuel      "        "  25 apr 1773     "
Joan          "         " 10 mar 1777     "

also. but not Dyer's
 William Lee and Elizabeth Batchelor. married 24 dec 1769 Bath Abbey Bath Somerset had
William Lee   Bapt  1 jan 1776  St Peter and St.Paul BathSomerset.
Mary     Lee     "    22 dec 1771      "
Mark     Lee     "    19 aug 1770      "
Isaac Batchelor Lee.  2 jan 1774     "

John Lee  and Mary Looseman married 3 oct 1773 Pitminster Somerset.
William Lee  bapt  10 apr 1774   Pitminster
James  Lee    "       7 jan 1776        "
Hannah Lee   "       8 feb 1778        "
Sarah    Lee   "      10 feb 1782       "
Mary     Lee    "      12 nov 1786      "
Betty     Lee    "      13 jun 1784      "        (pauper)
Samuel  Lee    "      30 apr 1797       "
Ann       Lee      "       8 jan 1804      "
Samuel  Lee     "       3 aug 1806      "
also.
John Lee married Ann Besley 25 Dec 1769 St.Ducumans. Somerset.
1 child only found,#
William Lee  bapt 8 oct 1771 St.Decumans Somerset.
These seem the only possibilities that I can find. Let me know what you think All found on Find my Past. Lynne. x

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 June 18 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

Looking at the Lee's of Hillfarrance, it appears William Lee born 1766 actually died in Hillfarrance in 1840. He was buried 26 Dec 1840 aged 73 years (giving an estimated birth year of 1767). Several of his brothers remained in the town as well, and these were the only Lees there. Therefore I don't think we have the right family for our William Lee alias Dyer. Sometimes things appear an "almost" fit, but it just doesn't seem quite right.

I still suspect there is a reason behind that name change, what it is we have yet to find out.

Thanks for sharing what you have found, it is useful to explore all possibilities and eliminate any that don't work out. I wouldn't discount Devon either, as it is where he and Mary Pulman were married. She was from Cornwall.

Cheers,

Kells.