Author Topic: Ellis Jones of Dinas Mawddwy  (Read 6211 times)

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
Ellis Jones of Dinas Mawddwy
« on: Monday 28 May 12 13:14 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information about the parentage of my 2x great grandfather Ellis Jones.

On the census returns from 1841 to 1881 he gave his birth place as being Dinas Mawddwy or Mallwyd.

He married in 1840 in Liverpool and gave his father's name as Hugh Jones who was a skinner.

Ellis would have been born sometime between 1814 and 1816, I have no information at all about his father. Ellis ended up living in Esgirllewelyn, Llanwrin, where he died in 1888.

I would be most grateful for any help in finding out more about Ellis and his family pre 1840.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ellis Jones of Dinas Mawddwy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 12:12 BST (UK) »
There are two promising Hugh Jones' in the 1841 Census,they are merely given though as Agricultural Labourers.One given as born in c 1786 and living in Dolgellau(sic)!The other one given as born in c 1791 and given on Ancestry as living in "Llanymowddwy".

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 23:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, that gives me some avenues of research  :)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 July 12 20:12 BST (UK) »
<<living in Esgirllewelyn, Llanwrin, where he died in 1888>>

Esgair Llewelyn is a property in the parish of Llanwrin.  I think it was in Montgomershire at that stage and now in Powys.  Its location can be found on google maps.

Regards
brigau

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 July 12 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, 

I don't know how far you've got since May, however I can see Ellis Jones in the 1851 census for Esgair Llewelyn, listed as 35, son in law, born 1816 Dinas Mawddwy.

There is another entry for Ellis Jones, Ag Lab, (married but no wife in house) also born 1816 Dinas Mawddwy, enumerated in 1851 at Minllyn, Dinas Mawddwy with his father, Hugh Jones, born 1778 at Llanymawddyy who is a pauper & former Glover (for which you need skins!)

It's possible that your Ellis was enumerated in two households, it has been known!

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 July 12 07:09 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, that looks to be a very promising lead  :)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 July 12 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I can also say that Ellis was buried at St Ust & St Dyfrig (now St Gwrin) in Llanwrin on 26th June 1889, aged 75. I may be able to source a photograph for you, let me know. His death was registered in Machynlleth.

Hugh Jones, mentioned above, was buried 5th April 1851 aged 73, in "Llanymoddwy" parish (5 days after census night.)

I don't know if any of this information is new to you or if you visit the area. St Tydecho; Llanymawddy church, now closed, is owned by the Church in Wales and sadly falling into disrepair.  The graveyard is owned and maintained by Merionydd Council but there are very few early headstones that are still legible.

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 July 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that information.

I believe that I have a large number of ancestors buried in Llanwrin. Looking through my tree I have at least fifteen burials in the graveyard that I know of, with the possibility of more of my family being there. I believe that the oldest family grave there dates from 1785. I did visit the graveyard six or seven years ago, but at the time didn't realise the extent of my ancestry there and only got photos of the graves of one particular branch (the Davies family of Cae Adda). Unfortunately as I don't drive it is difficult for me to get there.

Any information/photos about the graves or Ellis and his family would be much appreciated.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 10:49 BST (UK) »
I'll see what I can come up with but it might take a week or so.

I have trawled the online marriage bonds held by the NLW.  These are the only ones for Hugh Jones, Llanymawddy, Dinas Mawddwy or Mallwyd:

Jones, Hugh, Mallwyd, Merioneth, bachelor., gent. Jones, Elizabeth, Mallwyd, Merioneth, sp. Year: 1802

Jones, Hugh, Mallwyd, Merioneth, bachelor. Ducking, Sarah, Mallwyd, Merioneth, widow. Year: 1806
[In: Marriage bonds, ca. 1690-1837 (WlAbNL)004420301)]

brigau