Author Topic: Ellis Jones of Dinas Mawddwy  (Read 6212 times)

Offline Johanson

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellis Jones of Dinas Mawddwy
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 August 12 05:18 BST (UK) »
Hi - I was browsing on this site and came upon your info about a marriage between a Hugh Jones, Mallwyd & an Elizabeth Jones, same place. I believe that Elizabeth Jones could be a daughter of Richard & Jane Griffith, my 4x g.grandparents. The info I have on them is that Hugh Jones was a weaver, born abt. 1791 & Elizabeth same age. The earliest birth of any of their children I have found was a Jane Jones B. 1826, Thomas B. 1830, Wm. B. 1833 and a Mary B. 1837. They were living at Penybont from 1841-1871 according to the census.
I found a death date of Sept. 1873 for Elizabeth, age 83 and a death for Hugh 1871 age. 81.
Could this be the right family?  I sure hope so.
Catherine Johanson

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 August 12 09:20 BST (UK) »
Ellis Jones, son of Hugh Jones, a skinner, and Margaret, was baptised on 2nd February 1811 at St. Tydecho, Mallwyd.

I can't find a marriage or any other baptisms either side of 1811 but there may be some.

The record is on Findmypast but it is only possible to search marriages by first name and baptisms by surname - i.e. no spouse name or parents, therefore hundreds to check.

David

P.S. In 1851, there is a Hugh Jones, born Mallwyd c1786, who is a tanner (skinner?), lodging in Merthyr Tydfil.

There is a Hugh Jones, baptised 21st January 1786 in Mallwyd, son of John Jones of Ceynan and Elizabeth.

Re Hugh and Elizabeth, their details are also on FindMyPast. The marriage is only a transcription but the baptisms are images. The only difference is that Thomas is 1829 and not 1830.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 August 12 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine,

Do you mean Hugh Jones, gent & Elizabeth Jones married 1802, as mentioned in post number 8 above?  If so, Jones was her maiden name so it can't be her.  However there is this one from the Old Parish Registers held at the Archives:

Llanymawddwy 1st July 1822 - Hugh Jones, bachelor and Elizabeth Griffiths, spinster, both of this parish were married.  Witnesses: Thomas Evan and William Morris.

I notice that FindMyPast (a subscription site) also have a record of this marriage, but as David said, it's a transcription so won't give you any more details.

Hi David,

I made a note of that 1811 birth for Ellis Jones on noytd's behalf when visiting the Archives, but have copied the mother's name as Mary  ???  Will have to check!!

brigau

Offline Johanson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 August 12 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Brigau

Thank you so much for that info. I didn't think the earlier marriage could be correct as the 1st birth I have found is in 1816.
Thanks again,

Catherine

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 August 12 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine,

A bit more from the Llanymawddwy OPRs:

Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Griffith and Jane, his wife, was baptised 15th March 1790.

Offline Johanson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 August 12 19:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brigau

I did have that baptism. If you ever run across a death date for Richard Griffith or his wife Jane, I would be so, so happy. I have a date of 1827 at TroedyRhiw but understand now that is wrong as the wife is listed as Blanche.  I think there is a tie to TroedyRhiw but don't know exactly what yet.
I also found a date of 1804 for a Jane Griffith (pauper) age 44, the age is right on but if she was a pauper that means Richard must be dead also.
I have their last child Richard being born 1801 Aug. 9 so that doesn't make sense.
Many thanks again for your help and interest.
Catherine

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 August 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I made a note of a baptism for Evan Griffiths, son of Richard Griffiths and Blanche, his wife, 2nd March 1788 and notice that the occupant of Troed y Rhiw in the 1841 census was Evan Griffiths, aged 50, so probably they are one and the same Evan.

I'll certainly have a trawl for Richard & Jane but don't anticipate going to the Archives for a few weeks.........I won't forget though!

brigau

Offline Johanson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 August 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks again for that info. I feel it is sort of coming together. I look forward to hearing from you down the road.

Catherine

Offline Johanson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Richard Griffith Family
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Brigau

I got going through my records and found some more info which might shed some light on them. I have an Indenture dated March 12, 1860 which mentions Richard Griffith of Dolgelly & Jane Griffith widow, same place & Evan Jones of Dolgelly wheelwright - trustee for Jane intended marriage soon.  I also realized that the younger Richard Griffith b. 1801 could not have married Jane Lewis in 1816 as he would have been only 15 years old.

This puts a different light on Richard Griffith & Jane. Any help will be most appreciated.
Thank you,  Catherine