Author Topic: Gyde House Orphanage and Childrens home  (Read 13542 times)

Offline poppy52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gyde House Orphanage and Childrens home
« on: Monday 28 May 12 22:41 BST (UK) »
I am not very familiar with the site but I am wondering if there are any links to Gyde House. My dad was there in the 1940's. Thank you
Parkin, Horden Colliery,Durham?
Todd, Ships Rivetters,Sunderland?

Rogers, Pridgeon and Southon of London?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Gyde House Orphanage and Childrens home
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
We have an adopted son, our other children being our birth children and he had a schoolfriend who lived at Gyde House, this was from 1976 to about 1982.  He used to go up there frequently and often said he wished we hadn't adopted him and then he would have been able to live in such a lovely place. ;D ;D  We used to tell him that all children's homes weren't in such lovely houses and surroundings. 

My husband belonged to Round Table at the time and they and their wives (Ladies Circle) used to hold fetes up at the home to raise money, with stalls selling cakes and other things.

There was never any suggestion of the children in the home being unhappy or abused in the 1970s at least.

There was another local home in Ebley also owned by National Children's Homes where the Round Table used to have a firework display on/near 5 November each year.  I don't know much about that home, it was smaller than Gyde House from memory, and situated on a main road.

Lizzie

Offline poppy52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hello, Thank you for your reply!
My dad was there in 1944 he too didn't have an unhappy moment, he was very lucky, from there he moved to Bramhope for a while then back to London. He remembers a few names and managed to get hold of his 'notes' which made him happy. He has fond memories also of the Sisters that looked after him, also walking to School and helping in the Church,  I am hoping to find someone who may know of the staff. We went back a few years ago and the grounds were as he remembered, alas the lovely building is now luxury apartments. I think I will leave this 'story' here if anyone would like to add to it. My dads name is Arthur Rogers and he will be 80 this year.
Thank you again for sharing your story too!
Regards

Offline poppy52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you KGarrard for the link to Gyde House NCH. I have had a look and joined the site, so thank you  :)

Offline bulldogsean

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 June 14 17:36 BST (UK) »
We have an adopted son, our other children being our birth children and he had a schoolfriend who lived at Gyde House, this was from 1976 to about 1982.  He used to go up there frequently and often said he wished we hadn't adopted him and then he would have been able to live in such a lovely place. ;D ;D  We used to tell him that all children's homes weren't in such lovely houses and surroundings. 

My husband belonged to Round Table at the time and they and their wives (Ladies Circle) used to hold fetes up at the home to raise money, with stalls selling cakes and other things.

There was never any suggestion of the children in the home being unhappy or abused in the 1970s at least.

There was another local home in Ebley also owned by National Children's Homes where the Round Table used to have a firework display on/near 5 November each year.  I don't know much about that home, it was smaller than Gyde House from memory, and situated on a main road.

Lizzie
my father was there mid to late 50s it would have been my father was sexualy abused and went on to abuse me my sister and two brothers  when we all fell apart as a family my eldest brother wanted an answer from my dad as to why he abused us as kids he said he was regulary abused whilst in gyde  and mostley in the shower block by both women and men he died 2 years ago and i just want closure do you know if anyone else had that happen to them it would have been between 1954 - 1959

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 June 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hello bulldogsean - and welcome to Rootschat.  I don't know anything about Gyde House, apart from what I'd already said.  Certainly my son thought it was a good place and his friends there seemed to be very happy but that was in the mid to late 1970s.

I'm sorry to hear about the abuse your dad suffered, and even more sorry that he decided that because of his abuse he should then go on to abuse his own children.

Lizzie

Offline LibbieO

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 February 15 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I was a child in the village and there was talk of abuse at Gyde Home. It was Gyde Home back then not Gyde House. There were the usual levels of paedophiles in the village. It's great that some children got through their childhood in Painswick safely but it wasn't like that for everyone.

Offline barry stevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 April 16 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy 52, I was an NCH boy at Gyde House in the 50's, I was also an NCH boy at Bramhope in the 40's up and until 1955!!   It's a curious coincidence that your Dad and I practically crossed paths all those years ago!!   My story is available to you if you are interested, but more importantly its available to any of my contempories if you are able and would like to pass this note on?
Regards

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php