Author Topic: Ackroyd family, Stamford Bridge/Easingwold  (Read 2873 times)

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ackroyd family, Stamford Bridge/Easingwold
« on: Tuesday 29 May 12 08:46 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there are any local rootschatters who might be able to direct me, please?
I have a small family of Ackroyd's - Benjamin, born 1817, Kirby Wiske; wife Ann [nee Hebden] born 1822 Husthwaite with Carlton, married Q3 1843 Easingwold reg. district, and daughter Mary Ann born 1845, Stamford Bridge

They seem to evaporate from census returns, and when I check the Easingwold district deaths, there are three Ackroyds between Mary Ann's birth and the 1851 census - Ann, 1846  Benjamin, 1849 and Mary 1851 [though it looks like Mary would still have been alive for the census as her death was registered in Q2 and the census was 31 March]
I'm wondering if this is just one of those frustrating ancestral coincidences, or if this could be the family I'm looking for, all wiped out?!!
Does it sound familiar to anyone? Any bright ideas of how I could best check? Many thanks, x
Haden, Edwards, Bradley, Lamb, Cooper, Pool, Hepton, Ellam, Wilbe, Taylor

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Ackroyd family, Stamford Bridge/Easingwold
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Mary who died Q2 1851 could have died in the last few days of Q1 and so not be on the census.    Can you check the burials in the parish register?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bcrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 16:13 BST (UK) »
Ok from the parish registers for Easingwold Benjamin Ackroyd married Ann Hebdon on the 28 August 1843 fathers listed as Thomas Ackroyd, labourer and Jonathan Hebdon, labourer. The ages of the couple are listed as of full age. They both made their mark. The witnesses are listed as Michael Hebdon and George Ackroyd. There is one burial for an Ann Ackroyd 16 June 1846 and she is listed as aged 24. It does not say she is the wife of anyone or if she is married. That was all I could see on the Ackroyds from 1843 to 1851 and note I did not find any baptisms in Easingwold either. If the children said they were born Stamford Bridge I would think you need to look at the parish registers for there. I got this information off of the microfilm i have on loan from the familysearch.org library. I hope this helps you a bit at least  you have a marriage date and place now. I forgot to mention Benjamin was listed as  farmer's servant and Ann was listed as a servant on the marriage entry.
bcrick
Durham:SIMPSON
Northumberland:RICHARDSON,FORSTER,LUMSDON
Yorkshire:LANE,HAMMOND,SCAIFE,SNOWBALL,AGAR
Norfolk:HAMMOND,BETTS,BRINGLOE
Nottinghamshire:FRIEND, EDWARDS
Kent:FRIEND,PATTISON,MANNERING, MARKS, CLAYSON, SOLES

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 17:55 BST (UK) »
That's a real help, many thanks for that! Will let you know if I get any further! x

Offline hayly86

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 June 17 03:10 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness!

I know this is a long shot as much time has passed since this thread was posted, but I am looking for the exact family of Ackroyds.

Ann Hebdon b. 1822 is my 4x great grandmother (haha). She has been one tough cookie to research, let me tell you! She was born in Husthwaite to Jonathan Hebdon and Ann Hebdon (nee Gill).

Ann gave birth to a son named Michael in Easingwold in 1835. As you have already probably noticed, Ann would have been very young when he was born. Even in the 1800s, she would have been much younger than the norm. There is no father listed on any records. Michael is my 3X great grandfather who immigrated with his wife Mary Cowling and their young family,  to New Zealand and spawned my lot  ;D

On a lot of the very old family documents I have, Benjamin Ackroyd is listed as Michael's father, but considering that he and Ann married in Easingwold in 1843, I assume that it would be very unlikely that that's the case.

Ann and Benjamin married in 1843 in Easinwold and had a daughter named Mary Ann Ackroyd in 1844. There is no further mention of Ann in any of my family documents/records. There is no mention of Mary Ann or Benjamin either, although in the 1851 census Mary Ann Ackroyd is present in her grandparents Jonathan and Ann Hebdon's home. She is listed as 6 years old.

I have found three death notices for an Ann Ackroyd in 1845 and I believe that she may be one of them. I don't believe Michael spoke of her much as his children didn't even know her name. Michael's mother's name is even incorrectly listed as "Ellen" on his death certificate. Granted however, Michael would have only been 10 at the time of her passing and may have forgotten much about her over time.

In Elland, Saint Mary, Yorkshire on 12 June 1864 one Mary Ann Ackroyd, daughter of Benjamin married John Sykes, son of William.

In regards to Benjamin, I believe he remarried and had a few more children.

If you have any information that I am missing I would be grateful to hear it. And likewise, if I can help you with anything I will do my best.

Best wishes

hayly86

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 June 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thank you Hayly86!  That's a lot of information, I'll go and refer back to my tree and see what more I have ;)  Like you say, it's a while ago!  You never know, we could be related ;)