Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 5674 times)

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 31 May 12 17:43 BST (UK) »
About a year ago, dau had similar problems, apparently an external booster that had been fitted was not working, but in the mean time they paid for her to have mobile broadband...

Whatever else you do , do not forget to ask for a refund on your account, which usually means another phone call, because the service department can't advise the accounts department that you had a problem but the accounts department will verify with the service department that you did......

I have used Virgin for more than 6 years and periodically have had problems, I have a rant and get it sorted (why no icon above for fingers crossed?) I have had a new router in that time but my most frequent problem is the channel change that seems to need to be done every 3 months or so. I have been told to avoid 11 as most routers use that. I have a wireless network which other half makes use of and I use it for my Kindle which has now become a useful test appliance whenever other half cant get the network!
Donaldson: Langholm
Donaldson: Inverurie
Vann: Ightham Kent
Knibbs: London ( Battersea/ Pimlico)
Longman: Poole
Wakeling:
Vicary

Offline Suki 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 31 May 12 18:21 BST (UK) »

Ideal if you could do a few speedtests, printing out to verify your problem. 8) 8)
 Brian

Yes I will do a few speed tests to show him
Thanks

Offline Suki 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 04 June 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
Well they came this morning. He said everything was working ok ??? He did get us updated to 30mb but I still cant upload anything with wireless. He said they cant guarantee wireless speeds only hard wired speeds  :(. Looks like i'm stuck with it  ??? If I want to upload i'll just have to put things on my pen drive & upload from the desktop one  >:(

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 04 June 12 22:00 BST (UK) »
Suki 1, do you know anyone who is computer savy?
What a lot of people do is connect a router to the SH, then use the SH in modem mode.
Found the instructions for setting up once you can manage to get some assistance.
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=412750&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 04 June 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
He did get us updated to 30mb but I still cant upload anything with wireless. He said they cant guarantee wireless speeds only hard wired speeds

That does seem rather ridiculous, what is the point of having wireless if you cant upload anything. I'm on Virgin and there is no difference between wireless and wired. I've also found their tech guys very good when they took over by remote control.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 07:36 BST (UK) »
The reason why remote control - Probably problems with getting onto the internet?
Suki 1 has hardware problems with the wireless side of the SH.
A lot of people have said SH is a rubbish piece of equipment when used wirelessly.
The wireless failure is shortly to be corrected by a software update, but is taking some time to rectify.
http://community.virginmedia.com/
The above URL is the official Virgin support forum, posting there links to Virgin direct.
Hope things get sorted for you soon Suki 1, the problem you are seeing is the main reason why I have not upgraded my system. (1 desktop and 3 wirelessly connected laptops plus 360 and Wii.)
Living in a household with a wife/daughter who play games would be the death of me if connection is not 100% :o
 Regards Brian

Offline Suki 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 12:26 BST (UK) »
My daughter came down with her laptop yesterday & tried it via wireless & it worked great. This morning I went back to PC World to ask them if they knew of anything that would help. They said it might be a software problem & to wipe it & reinstall windows so i'm going to try that now  ???. Hope it works  ???

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 13:08 BST (UK) »
My daughter came down with her laptop yesterday & tried it via wireless & it worked great. This morning I went back to PC World to ask them if they knew of anything that would help. They said it might be a software problem & to wipe it & reinstall windows so i'm going to try that now  ???. Hope it works  ???

Hope that works for you , it is such a pain to have to do this. Make sure you back things up before you start!  :)
Donaldson: Langholm
Donaldson: Inverurie
Vann: Ightham Kent
Knibbs: London ( Battersea/ Pimlico)
Longman: Poole
Wakeling:
Vicary

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 09 June 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
Suki1
Have you managed to get things working correctly yet?
Thought has crossed my mind about your laptop, have you tried using MS update (possible to update the wireless card within your laptop).
 Brian