Author Topic: rexter family  (Read 20018 times)

Offline tedbob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
rexter family
« on: Saturday 21 May 05 11:36 BST (UK) »

Hi I am looking for my family John and Elizabeth rexter .These are my GGGG Grandparents I knpow John was born in Enniskillen if anyone may have information on Rexters in this area would love to chat and compare notes Brenda

Offline CullenPaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: rexter family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 05 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
My name is Paul Cullen & I live in Balbriggan, North Co. Dublin.. My Grandfather was Gerard Conran and His Mother was EDITH REXTER..
Her parents were James Rexter who was married to Elizabeth Stronge.. Edith was born at Castle Barracks, Enniskillen in 1882..My grandfather died of cancer a while ago but until he died we tried to trace some Rexter history.  I have copies of Birth certs etc that I can send you if you like. We also wrote to a lady in England who was originally a Rexter. her name was Mary Bradley from Lancs. Outside of Fermanagh/Enniskillen, the name Rexter seems almost unknown...

Offline tedbob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 05 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul I am so excited to hear from someone whom is connected to the Rexter family as you say it is very uncommon. I would be very glad to see any information you may have and because the name is so uncommon we will be related I'm sure.Example I have contacted every Rexter in our telephone directory and I am related to all.I will get all of my certificates together etc and also send them to you if you would like.My GGGG Grandfather John rexter married Elizabeth Dremon fermanagh they had son James (GGG) whom was born enniskillen in1801 approx) married Mary Mcallister in kent England(1833) they had son William James in1838 (GG) this trio came out to Australia in 1851 on ship 'slains castle' Mary Mcallister shows to be born in Antrim county around 1804 finding it very hard to get back any further than John Rexter Iam currently searching old parish records and hoping to be able to contact someone in enniskillen historical society etc that may be able to help .So will say cheers for now look forward to hearing fom you Brenda

Offline CullenPaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda,
I have to go to Coventry for a few days with work so I will post a more detailed reply on Saturday evening...
I got a lot of help with the Rexter History from Frank Roofe at Enniskillen Town Hall.. I know that Edith Rexters' uncles died in the Great War - their names are on the Roll Of Honour in Enniskillen. Last summer we found the Rexter Family plot in the Graveyard at Cleenish and we heard that some of their relatives live near there still.  We may be able to match the different Rexters together if we can match the different Certs, etc.. I agree with you that we must all be related as I can find no other direct contacts/links with the name anywhere and even when I do they all seem to be linked to Fermanagh/Enniskillen....
Will try to get more info for Saturday..

Offline CullenPaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 June 05 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda,
I have been trying to see if I can see any trace/link to your John Rexter & Elizabeth Dremon.  Unfortunately no luck yet.  It is widely said by the family that Edith Rexters' brother went to Australia about 1910. His name was Herbert Arthur Rexter..they all called him HERBIE... I suspect that he would have gone to relatives in Australia (possibly relatives of your trio)..

I am trying to find out more about this. Did you ever hear of a Herbie Rexter?..On another note, the name Dremon also seems very original and we should be able to find out more about Elizabeth..do you have any idea of where in Fermanagh she was from?

If I hear any more I will let you know..

Offline tedbob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul so sorry I have taken so long getting back to you I have been away for a few days.First let me tell you where I live .Lilydale is the name of  the eastern suburb of Melbourne where I have lived for past 13 years and after starting on my family history I discovered not only did my GGG grandfather James Rexter live in this area but my GG grandfather William James Rexter and his wife Elizabeth Axford lived here back in about 1878.Two of my great aunts were born in Lilydale 1880 and 1802 my G granfather Herbert Rexter played here as a little boy.I could not believe my eyes when researching births etc.My grandfather was also named Herbert so now Iam very curious to find out more about the Herbie you have mentioned.I am very intrested in the Rexters you tell me are still currently living in the area I wondered if not to much trouble if you would be able to collect some telephone numbers for me out of current enniskillen or any of the Rexters in your country.I would love to contact them.I will keep searching for the connection between our families and also keep you posted.

Offline CullenPaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 June 05 08:02 BST (UK) »
Brenda, I was very interested to see that there was a Herbie Rexter link.  I only started looking into the family history a few years ago when my Grandfather (Edith rexters' son) first became ill.  We never got to meet any actual Rexters because all I think are now dead...however they have many decendants in Enniskillen and the nearby townlands and this is where we have to find the missing links.  I am trying to get the phone numbers of at least two people who very nice to my grandfather in his search (I will send these and their addresses in a Personal message when I verify they are corrrect).  Iwould say at this stage that we must defo be related especially due to the Herbert name.  All the names that we have seem to criss-cross each other.  On the birth certs etc, there are a lot of William James Rexter, Elizabeth Rexter, Herbert etc..
The family married in the area and local townlands, ie..Knock Island, Rigg, Boho and elsewhere. Their decendants nowdays are Robinsons, Beattys, Strongs, Conrans etc.. The Rexters were Protestant but married into Catholic families which was not at all cool at the time...apparently this is why so many left their towns and went to England, Australia, etc..
I will get the info and leave a pm. Also must get some contact adress to send the copies of birth certs etc..

Offline tedbob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 July 05 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul  was looking over family names etc and thought  I let you know the names of my GG Grandparents William James Rexter and Elizabeth Axford whom married here in Australia in 1866 (his father John Rexter was born in Enniskillen about 1801)  they had 9 children in all not bad for an only child.William Earnest, Herbert James (my GG) ,Florence louisa, Evelyn,Elizabeth Mary, Edwin Henry, Edith Emily, Clara Maude,Selina Rose.So we had an Edith also I was told she was a lovely person .I am still trying to find out more about Herbie from 1910, I keep talking to the eldest members of the Rexters and coming across new ones so hopeful something will pop up.
You are right with the names they seem to be passed around the family will chat again soon.

Offline CullenPaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 July 05 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brenda,
it does look like all the names were passed on.. If you get a chance could you e-mail me at paulgcullen@eircom.net and let me know of a postal adress so I can send on the copies of the birth certs etc...

I will also send you those phone numbers etc..If I find out any more info in between then I will let you know...

My mother and aunt are also very interested in the whole thing so I will see if they can find out any more too.  Talk to you soon...