Author Topic: Gunmaker and clock maker of Bangor  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Gunmaker and clock maker of Bangor
« on: Wednesday 30 May 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
...North Wales Chronicle (Bangor, Wales), April 21, 1835
Notice to creditors, Charles Roe SMITH of Bangor, gunmaker and clockmaker  etc etc ----  persons who stand indebted to pay amount of debts to Edward SMITH, Flour merchant Bangor...

I think Charles Roe SMITH was born in Dorset, 1775, married a Sarah (from christening record, 1809, of Edward at Wareham, Dorset) and from the newspaper article, it looks like he was no longer in Bangor in 1835. Son Edward subsequently settled in Liverpool, as a brewer.

I'm trying to find a link between the Edward SMITH abovenamed and my cousin Kyrkes of Gwersyllt by Wrexham and/or the Charles ROE (1715-1781 of Macclesfield) who exploited the copper at Parys  Mountain, Amlwch.

I've tried everything I can think of the find a connection between this Smith  family and the Kyrkes or Charles ROE. Any ideas?

Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Gunmaker and clock maker of Bangor
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 May 12 16:07 BST (UK) »
A bit confusing is this    ::)

Pigot & Co.'s Directory of Ches, Cumb ..., 1828-29. [Part 2: Notts - Yorks & N Wales]

Charles Rowe Smith  mentioned twice ,
1 Biscuit baker. 2 Waterloo Place & Hirael.
2 Flour dealer and corn Waterloo Place.

Pigot & Co.'s Directory of Derbys, Herefs  North Wales ... , 1835

Charles Rowe Smith flour dealer Waterloo St.
~~~~~~~~---
Charles Roe Smith  watch and clockmaker / gunsmith Castle St.

Edward Smith miller,  Aber Mill.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 12 23:21 BST (UK) »
Richard from the Dorset message board has a lead
This site claims to know something of Charles Roe Smith. I'm not sure how accurate it is as the Corfe Castle records show a Charles Roe Smith dying in 1809 whereas this one emigrates to the USA. There is also no mention of Henry Kyrke Smith.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/c/a/David-J-Scannell/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0386.html

Richard
So the author of the above site has Sarah WHITE the wife of Charles Roe SMITH dying in Bangor and then it looks like Charles Roe SMITH moved to Pennsylvania in 1835.

The email for David Scannel author of the familytreemaker link, unfortunately doesn't work, not too surprising, given the posting date of 2002.
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 June 12 19:43 BST (UK) »
I managed to contact (by Facebook!) David J Scannel, author of the tree on familytreemaker that had father Charles Roe SMITH, gunmaker of Bangor, emigrating to Philadelphia presumably in 1835. Unfortunately he doesn't have any source information on the Smith family.

In addition, I found Charles Roe SMITH (probably brother rather than father) as witness to the marriage of brother (probably not son) Edward SMITH to Sarah MAY in Liverpool, 1831.

But still no link to the Kyrkes.

Offline seagullsurfer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 July 12 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, I just came across this post when doing a google search on Charles Roe Smith, such a lot of great information for me and my spreading tree! I would really like information on the journey for him and particularly son Edward born 1809 to Liverpool via Wales from their births, in Corfe Castle area! Any help would be appreciated. Just getting to grips with posting. Have got Dorset info from OPC Dorset mainly.
Gibson, Smith , Bishop Auckland , Sunderland Co.Durham
Steele, Lea,  Sandbach , Crewe  Cheshire
Myers,Yorkshire Pudsey, Sunderland,South Shields
Walsche,(Walsh ), Beryl, New York, Liverpool, South Shields Co.Durham, Dorset
Smith , Roe, Corfe Castle
Harrington , Liverpool
Parker , London,  W Yorks

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Edward SMITH (1809-1857), brewer in Liverpool
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 July 12 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi seagullsurfer

I'll send you a personal message -but do have a look at the postings about Charles Roe SMITH on the Dorset messageboard

I'm interested in the association of your Edward SMITH (1809-1857) with Richard KYRKE (1820-1897) and Richard's wife Priscilla Catherine BILLINGE (1819-1888). I am also interested in Edward's youngest son Henry Kyrke SMITH aka Henry KYRKE SMITH; he doesn't appear in the trees that are posted on the internet.

Just in case you don't have Edward's entries in census returns:

In 1841 Edward SMITH (Brewer 30 yrs, b not Lancashire) living at Bean Street Liverpool with Sarah (30 yrs b Lancashire), Mary (4 yrs b Lancashire), Thomas (2 yrs b Lancashire), Edward [Charles](4 months b Lancashire).
In 1851 Edward SMITH (Brewer 41 yrs Corfe Castle Dorset) living at 21 Devon St Liverpool with wife Sarah (41 yrs b Liverpool), children Mary (13 yr), Thos M[ay] (12 yr), Edward C[harles] (10 yr), Sarah (7 yr), Cathn (5 yr) and Hannah C (1 yr)
In 1861 Sarah SMITH widow (51 yrs, b Liverpool) living at 46 Kensington W Derby, with children Mary (23 yrs), Edwd Charles (20 yrs), Sarah Mary [=May] (17 yrs), Kate (15 yrs), Anne Cozens (11 yrs) and Henry Kirk (9 yrs) with widow Sarah MAY (83 yrs, Southampton)

Offline cockoo clock

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hello, interested to see your posts about Charles Roe Smith; we have a grandfather clock at home here which has the name CR Smith, Bangor written on the face - seems pretty likely that this is the same person. The clock came to us by my grandfather who brought it to Scotland from his home in Lancashire; last year I brought it over to Germany where I live now - I wound it up today and its still working well after all those years.

Offline seagullsurfer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 April 16 23:39 BST (UK) »
cockoo clock...I've sent you a PM as I am very interested in this item about your clock.
Charles Roe Smith is an ancestor of mine and I too have links to Lancashire.
I am in contact with other relatives in the US where C R Smith moved to live when leaving Wales all those years ago.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Gibson, Smith , Bishop Auckland , Sunderland Co.Durham
Steele, Lea,  Sandbach , Crewe  Cheshire
Myers,Yorkshire Pudsey, Sunderland,South Shields
Walsche,(Walsh ), Beryl, New York, Liverpool, South Shields Co.Durham, Dorset
Smith , Roe, Corfe Castle
Harrington , Liverpool
Parker , London,  W Yorks