Author Topic: Thomas Eastwood addegoole farm Kylemore  (Read 11484 times)

Offline Margaret Sabina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Eastwood addegoole farm Kylemore
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 June 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
Tara
I checked my records and found the following that might help you

George Eastwood b 1883 was actually born Aug 6, 1882 and died Jan 15, 1962 in Luton Eng.
I have been in touch with his family and they gave me this information and more.

My grandfather Ambrose Michael born 1884 died in 1960 in New York,USA. I just looked at a copy of his nationalization and have seen his headstone. So Michael Ambrose may be reversed.

Bernard Joseph Eastwood B 1885 died in Turkey Aug 7, 1915. He belonged to the Scotch Brigrade in the Royal Field Artillery as a gunner # 38093

William Henry Eastwood b 1890 died Oct 23, 1926

John Patrick Eastwood b 1891 died Oct 5, 1918

I have nothing for a Arthur Edward Eastwood b 1900... will check with family members to see if they have anything.

I do have a Frank F Eastwood who died April 28, 1917 in France War of France and Flanders
He was in the Second Highland Infantry 2nd Battalion.  Someone else to check out.

The name Thomas Eastwood continues here. My uncle was Thomas Frances Eastwood, his grandson is Thomas Eastwood  too.

You have given me a lot to absorb. Many sites to look at too. My printer will be working overtime.
I seem to be the family member who collects this information and shares it. I can now correct dates and add to them then share it all. Again... I can't thank you enough for all your help. You will be making a lot of people happy.

Sincerely;

Margaret Knapp

Offline Margaret Sabina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
Tara

I have a Mary Elizabeth Eastwood 1888-?
Also a Peter Hubert Eastwood 1894-1897
I believe previous census records to 1901 were destroyed so this would explain why they weren't listed as children of Thomas and Mary Ann (Walsh) Eastwood

I have also discovered from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site that ;

Bernard Joseph Eastwood died Aug 7, 1915. He was in the Scottish Brigade (Gunner 38093) Royal Field Artillery, Galipoli

William Henry Eastwood died Oct 23, 1916. He was a Private 12754, Eleventh Royal Scots.

Frank Eastwood died  April 28, 1917 WWI 32789, Second Highland Light Infantry,

John Patrick Eastwood died April 5, 1918. He was in the Scottish Brigade.

I believe the site also mentions where they are buried.

I am in contact with members of  George Eastwood's. As well as my own cousins (Ambrose Michael). 
If I can help you in any way with further information on these please let me know.

Thank you again for all your help.

Margaret

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

I am not related to the Eastwood's. I just like helping people on this forum.

I'm not sure if you have seen this article or not but it's another WOW ! Your family are mentioned in it from the time of the big famine and how through hard work they survived.

http://www.clifden2012.org/component/k2/itemlist/category/21-famine-in-connemara.html

The chap who wrote it also corrects himself in how he originally describes your family as English but then states that they were in fact Irish English - not sure exactly what that means but another great article.

Tara

Offline Margaret Sabina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 21:15 BST (UK) »
While in Ireland a family member introduced me to a book. Patient Endurance, The Great Famine In Connemara by Kathleen Villiers-Tuthill. Thomas Eastwood is mentioned in the book. It was quite an eye opener.

Offline Margaret Sabina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 00:49 BST (UK) »
The person I am in touch with is related to George Eastwood.  He has been wonderfully helpful to me.
I am slowly catching up with my records. I have been learning so much. Still so much to go.

Margaret

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Yes I think genealogy is a lifelong hobby and not for the fainthearted !!

You have been super lucky in that your family have been very well documented.

Tara

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 June 12 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there :)

I live in Connemara.  Addergoole farm is actually not the same as Kylemore Abbey, and in fact, part of the old building still stands.  The Nun's that own the Abbey, now live on the farm, and they actually still farm as well.

Added: Addergoole Farm is actually older than Kylemore Abbey, it shows up on maps before the Abbey was built :)

It seems that you were in Ireland, did you visit Connemara? - just re-read and saw that you have.

Kind regards,

Daisy Loo
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Margaret Sabina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 June 12 00:33 BST (UK) »
I have been to Kylemore two times. Last was 3 years ago. It wasn't until after we returned home that I learned about the farm. We were hoping to find out if any of the Eastwood family remained in the area. Also where Thomas Eastwood moved to when he left the area.
I love your area of the world. It is beautiful,

Peggy

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 June 12 00:45 BST (UK) »
Oh that's a pity...so you'll just have to come back and visit the farm.

If you like, I can take a trip down there and see if the Nun's would mind me taking some photos for you.

Yes, I consider myself very lucky to have settled in such a beautiful place. :)                   

I have a few books about the area...what information do you have on the farm and Thomas?                                                         
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire