Author Topic: schinckel family germany  (Read 2015 times)

Offline justlinley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
schinckel family germany
« on: Friday 01 June 12 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi i was wandering it anyone could help me my great great grandfather was a johann jurgen leonard schinckel from holm born 1823. he immigrated to Australia. I have all the information since his arrival in australia but i would like to know more about his family father/mother grandparents etc in germany before he came here. Although i know the history in australia i cannot find out out what ship he came in .Any information about his family in germany would be appreciated i dont even know how to obtain that sort of information in Germany Thanks for any help you can give Justlinley

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: schinckel family germany
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
You probably have this info - but just in case
www.familysearch.org
go to previous site
search
advanced search
Johann Schinkel
1823 +/- 5 years
submit search
Johann Jurgen Leonard Schinckel born 19th March 1823 in Holm ,Germany
died 31st January 1907 in Mount Gambia ,South Australia
parents given as Schinckel - no christian names
submitted record

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline leon stewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 21:14 GMT (UK) »
J P L s obituary ( MT Gambier paper ? ) , I have copy of same , clearly states that he emigrated to Australia , arriving in  Port Adelaide in the Barque St. Lawrence in 1854. just one small problem I think the boat sank as I am unable to find any record of this boat in SA waters in this year. I think that somewhere the info has led me astray (not for the first time ) in my searching out my oldies  (Schinckels and Stewarts ) all involved with  the bottom of S.A . and into Vic.
Leon

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

You should always bear the historical context in mind. Holm is indeed in modern Germany, but in the 1820s it was in the Duchy of Holstein, whose duke was the King of Denmark. The duchy remained under Danish rule until its annexation by Prussia in 1866.

This geographical stroke of luck means that Johann was recorded in the Danish censuses before he emigrated.

If you search here (http://www.ddd.dda.dk/dddform_uk.asp) for Schinkel in Holm in the county of Holsten (Danish for Holstein), you will find the attached record from the 1835 census. He is also recorded as plain Jürgen Schinkel in 1840 and 1845, when his mother was named as Catharina Magdalene.

It would appear that Johann's father had died and his mother had married Jürgen Molkenbuhr.

Wedel is pronounced vey'del.

Ksp. = Kirchspiel = parish
Höker = pedlar
Käthner = cotter

I'll see what else I can dig up.

Justin

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 17 13:51 GMT (UK) »
It just gets better and better!

Follow this link http://www.online-ofb.de/famreport.php?ofb=wedel&ID=I22288&nachname=SCHINKEL&modus=&lang=de and you'll find the record below.

All the highlighted names are hyperlinks, so you can follow the generations backwards into the 17th century!!!

Catharina Magdalena's maiden name was Molkenbuhr; her second husband, Jürgen M., was one of her first cousins.

Such Ortsfamilienbücher are generally compiled from parish registers. I'm a bit surprised that the sources aren't given.

Justin

Offline leon stewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 October 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
that record goes back to 1691  leon