Author Topic: SWARBRICK and variants  (Read 16052 times)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SWARBRICK and variants
« on: Friday 01 June 12 21:14 BST (UK) »
Just to flag up that I have been researching Swarbrick families for over twenty years and I have data on some 70+ separate Swarbrick families. I am always ready to share information - so if you have a Swarbrick connection please get in touch.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline jmgt100

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: SWARBRICK and variants
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 01:59 GMT (UK) »
I am just getting in touch regarding Alice Swarbrick, born 1665 I think, she married a Richard Gillow. I can trace their descendants.  There may be a brother James and a sister Mary. The father was John I think, from Great Singleton. These Swarbricks  were strongly Catholic I believe. Any information on these Swarbrick's and their ancestors.

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 November 13 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have some, limited, information on Alice as there is a [very] tenuous link to my own family. As you are no doubt aware records of families - especially Catholics - in the 17th century are hard to find and not always as clear as we might like - so what I have is my best guess based on what I have found.

What follows is in two parts so as to fit in the character limit of this message system:

My distant relative was Ann Swarbrick who was a daughter of George and Margaret. She was baptised on Tuesday the 9th May 1786. Her Uncle, Henry Kitchen, stood as one of her Godparents; the other was an Elizabeth Swindlass. On Saturday the 10th May 1806, which can only have been two or three days after her twentieth birthday, Nancy married Joseph Swarbrick at the church of St Mary and St Michael, Garstang.

Joseph was one of the Swarbrick family of Nateby, not, as far as is known, related to my Swarbrick family. He had been born in 1779, the sixth child of Thomas Swarbrick and Mary Park. [They had eighteen children in all]. One of his younger brothers, Thomas, was baptised in 1791 in St Mary & St Michael’s Church, Garstang, as were the later brothers and sisters of Nancy. No doubt the two families would have been well acquainted with each other.

Joseph’s father, Thomas, had been born in 1747 the son of another Joseph Swarbrick [1698 - 1793] and Ann Threlfall. In 1806 this Thomas bought a property called Nateby House. According to the History of Garstang [Chetham Society] Thomas, together with his partner, a man called John Valentine, bought Nateby House from a local gentleman named Michael Ann. It would seem that this might well have been a speculative, moneymaking venture because very shortly afterwards they conveyed the same to John Birley of Kirkham Esq.

Nateby House was sold again in 1818 to Thomas Butler-Cole, who was George Swarbrick’s [Ann's father] landlord. However the Swarbrick family bought the house back again at some later point in the nineteenth century; this time they bought it to live in. Thomas Newsham Swarbrick, a grandson of the Thomas Swarbrick who had originally bought the house in 1806, was the owner of the property when he died there in 1878.

According to Joseph Gillow, the Catholic historian, this particular branch of the Swarbrick family, who lived at Nateby, derived their origin from Swarbreck House in Weeton-cum-Preese and were well-known recusants throughout the penal times. One of the earliest to figure in the rolls was Edward Swarbreck of Great Singleton, who died in 1622. [Almost certainly this was the Edward Swarbrecke who was buried at St Michael’s, Kirkham on Saturday 7th December 1622]. Edward’s son, John, who was the great-grandfather of the Thomas who first bought Nateby House, appeared in his turn in the roll compiled in the reign of Charles II.

Not only did members of this branch of the family appear regularly in the various recusant rolls and lists of Papists but they also provided the church with a number of priests. One of the first of these was James Swarbreck, a son of the aforementioned John. He was born, probably at Singleton, in 1654. He was sent to the junior seminary at St Omers in Belgium, where he began his studies leading to the priesthood. He was ordained in Rome in 1678 and worked under the alias of Singleton, at Singleton, where he was listed in the 1705 return of known recusants. He had spent some time resident at the home of the Gillow family, who had their own domestic chapel. In or about 1711 he was priest at St Thomas and St Elizabeth’s Church, Thurnham.   

Father James was arrested early in 1716 following the abortive Jacobite rebellion of the previous year. According to Dom F O Blundell in Volume 3 of his book, Old Catholic Lancashire, Father James allowed himself to be captured so as to be able to minister to the many Catholics held by the authorities in Lancaster Castle. He was seized at the house of Richard Gillow and tried and condemned as a Catholic priest at the March Assizes. He was duly imprisoned in Lancaster Castle, where he took sick and died in March 1716.   He had been condemned to death and would, no doubt, have suffered martyrdom had he not died a natural death.

[part two to follow]

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 November 13 10:26 GMT (UK) »
[part two]

In 1996 there was a curious footnote to the story of Father James. In May of 1996 a fine and rare 17th Century wooden doll known as The Swarbrick Nun came up for auction at Sotheby’s in London. The Doll Magazine takes up the story:

The English doll has a gesso-covered head finely painted with rouged cheeks and smiling mouth, a well-carved nose with defined nostrils.

She is in her original clothes consisting of a stiffened cotton wimple, black wool gauze veil and black hand woven woollen habit with two petticoats, one in coarse weave blue wool, the other of lighter weave cream wool...

...The Swarbricks were a Catholic family and lived in Singleton, Lancashire. Due to strong anti-Catholic feeling, James Swarbrick and his sister were smuggled out of England as children to be educated at Cardinal Allen’s Seminary in Douai, France and later in Rome.

James became a Jesuit, popularly known as “The Riding Priest”. His sister took the veil, reputedly dressing her doll in the identical habit of the Order and sending it back to England with James in 1680 to show her mother how she was dressed.

He was seized and thrown into prison in Lancaster Castle on suspicion of being a “Popish” priest, where he later died on the eve of his execution in 1717. He became one of the Lancashire martyrs.

It is possible, but only conjecture, that the younger sister, Alice, who had stayed in England had dressed a doll in the habit of her older sister, copied from drawings sent back with James in 1680.

The auction estimate on the Swarbrick Nun is between forty and sixty thousand pounds.

Unfortunately, “conjecture” would seem to be the right word when it comes to James’s supposed sister, Alice. When Father James went abroad for his training as a priest he had to answer questions concerning himself and his family and background. He stated that he had four brothers, but only one sister, whose name we do not know for certain, although it was possibly Jennet, and she became the nun. She would have had no sister, younger or otherwise, to receive the doll assuming that she had sent one. There was an Alice Swarbrick, a daughter of Edward Swarbrick, who was a first cousin, once removed to Father James and who later [possibly] became the wife of Richard Gillow.   So, although the doll may well have had something to do with Father James and his sister, it is almost certain that the story of its ownership as outlined in the article quoted above is, at best, an approximation of the truth.

And that is pretty much all I know.

If you can add any additional information - or if you have evidence which tells a different story then I would be delighted to hear from you.

Hope that has been of some help,

jds1949

Offline paulepsom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 June 15 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hello, My mother's maiden name is Swarbrick. Her father ran a big woollen mill in Bradford. Originally they came from Lancashire. His name was Henry Swarbrick. Do you think you might have any info on their ancestry. I can get more information from my eldest sister. We were always told that we had a Catholic martyr in the family..the riding priest I believe, James Swarbrick?
Thanks Paul Epsom

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 June 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
You might find this site interesting.
https://swarbrooke.co.uk updated website 2021

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 June 15 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I'm away from my main database at the moment, so it will be about a week before I can answer your query. I will get back to you.

Regards,

jds1949

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 June 15 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Just looking through the [incomplete] notes which I have with me - was Henry's middle name Dunstan and was he born in 1931?

If so, then I have quite a bit on his Swarbrick ancestors.

Regards,

Dave

Offline paulepsom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 June 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave,
Henry Swarbrick had 3 children Joan, Barbara (my mother) and Dunstan. It could be that Henry's middle name was Dunstan too. I will check with my sister.
Thanks for your help,
Paul