Author Topic: BRUTON--where did they come from?  (Read 20481 times)

Offline NPB

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BRUTON--where did they come from?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 April 16 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am a Bruton living in Ireland of Dublin ancestors as far back as we can trace by church records to the mid 1800's living in the old market area of Dublin called Smithfield.Most Brutons in Dublin seemed to reside in this part of Dublin. (the parish of St Pauls Arran Quay and St Michans for anyone doing Church Record research) Some of them were cattle drivers and maybe came originally from County Meath or County Kildare taking cattle into market in Dublin. Coincidently the former Prime Minister of Ireland ,John Brutons father, Joe(Matthew Joesph) was born in this area before moving back to Dunboyne ,County Meath where they originated from.
We never had any anecdotal info on where the Brutons originally came from though it might not all be from the one family as there are many variations of the name in Irish records(Brutton, Brereton,Brewton etc,). It has often been termed as a Norman name which came to Ireland either with the Norman invasion of 1170( a version of the  name in France "Breton" where the Normans came from?.) or latterally in the plantation or Catholics seeking refuge in Ireland ,maybe it came from the Bruton town in Sommerset in England which might also have similar Norman origins as the Doomsday book(1086) suggests.
This loosely ties in with the D'Arcy lord on whose estate the Brutonstown sub-estate is mentioned in your research as his is  a Norman name. D'Arcy if he was a leading lord in the 1170 invasion might have granted land to a Bruton(Breton) who came over from Normandy/Brittany with him to fight. Might be impossible to find any old papers to verify any of this, even if some rolled up parchment actually exists anywhere!!
We'll keep searching.

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 13 June 16 21:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thorough reply.  It does seem as if the answer has been lost to history, at least so far.  My Bruton ancestors were from the Coralstown area of Westmeath at least as far back as the 1820s.  There were a number of Bruton families along the Meath-Westmeath border at the time of Griffith's Valuation.  It is not a common name and they seem to cluster there tho there were others in those two counties and in Dublin, as you say.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 June 16 21:34 BST (UK) »

Statement of a case on behalf of Mrs Eliza Bruton and others, containing abstracts of Bruton wills, 19th c.

Dublin: Public Record Office, M. 5426
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 17:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I'm on the other side of the pond but hope some Bruton nearer Dublin will check that out.

Offline jnrollberg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 05 September 16 17:50 BST (UK) »
We are researching our Brutons who were from Dunshaughlin ,but who emigrated to New York in 1849.  Our family lore says they were Huguenots before they went to Ireland, and then they came to America. Eventually we are hoping to find Brutons in Meath to whom we are related, so that's why I'm joining this thread. My great-great-great grandfather was John Bruton, born 1791, in Meath. He married a Margaret McCabe.  Supposedly he had a daughter named either Judith or Julie who married a James Sherlock. We have not been able to find this marriage in Catholic church records. John and several of his sons moved to America in 1849,settling in Rochester. His son Robert,my great great grandfather, died in the Civil War.