Author Topic: BRUTON--where did they come from?  (Read 20479 times)

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BRUTON--where did they come from?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. I don't know what the local council is.  The nearest large town is Mullingar.

Who would I contact at the NLI for such a question? I was not aware they answered questions like this.

The Brutons were all Catholic so I doubt they were part of the plantation. I believe the townland of Brutonstown is part of the estate, Hyde Park, which once belonged to the D'Arcy family.

Offline jeffbruton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Jeff Bruton here, San Francisco CA. I too have been trying to understand ‘where the Bruton’s came from given 1. In 1860 the family (my clan) emigrated from Ireland to America, 2. The family was catholic 3. The town of Bruton in Somerset appears to be the ‘place name’ origin.

I never really considered that in the 1600’s in say, Summerset, there would have been a practicing yet ‘persecuted’ catholic minority who, moved to Ireland at the same time as the plantations but, did so seeking religious freedom rather than to displace the protestant majority.

“Not all of the early 17th Century English Planters were Protestants. A considerable number of English Catholics settled in Ireland between 1603–1641 in part for economic reasons but also to escape persecution. This may seem paradoxical at first. However in the time of Elizabeth and James I the Catholics of England suffered a greater degree of persecution than English Catholics in Ireland. In England, Catholics were greatly outnumbered by Protestants and lived under constant fear of betrayal by their fellows. In Ireland however they could blend in with the local majority Catholic population in a way that was not possible in England. English Catholic planters were most common in County Kilkenny, where they may have made up half of all the English and Scottish planters to arrive in this region.[29] Given this it is no surprise that the sons and grandsons of English planters played a major part in the politics of the Confederation of Kilkenny in the 1640s, most notably James Tuchet, 3rd Earl of Castlehaven.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantations_of_Ireland

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 10:22 GMT (UK) »
The National Library of Ireland answer all sort of questions, I live in Lancashire but born in County donegal, My local library and a section for ancestry and they will help you.  So I guess Ireland will do the same. 

http://www.nli.ie

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 22:47 BST (UK) »
I don't know what the local council would be.  I wrote several years ago to a woman in Mullingar who is said to be the expert on local history but did not receive a reply.

I have found that Brutonstown townland in Westmeath is part of what was the d'Arcy estate but can't find anything more than that.

I have also found that the largest number of Brutons in the late 1800s in England were in Gloucestershire but I'd like to work my way back step by step.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 May 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
Have you tried The Down Survey http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/historical-gis.html

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 May 14 01:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, I did mention the Down survey in an earlier post. Brutonstown is mentioned there.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 May 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, I did mention the Down survey in an earlier post. Brutonstown is mentioned there.
Sorry, must read more carefully.

Offline tkyne49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

please let me know if the following information on the Brutons helps you out............

On pages 94 and 191 of the following publication,
A List of the Claims as they are entered with the Trustees at Chichester-House on College Green, Dublin on or before the 10th August.

you will find the Bruton name listed on these pages in relation to counties Meath and Carlow. This publication lists those who were claimants of land under Williamite Confiscations. I am not a genealogist or historian and you will need to ask a person who is what this book is about. There are names of Claimants, names of people listed as former proprietors and peoples names listed as witnesses on deeds, wills, mortgages etc. The townlands that all of the above people are involved in are also listed i.e. Baltrafney and Arrodstown are the townlands in Meath named with the Bruton name of Mariion Bruton ny Hussey attached to it and the name Piers Bruton Carriggbegg Townland in Carlow..............please let me know what this information tells us about these particular Brutons and if it helps you in any way.

Offline tkyne49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 April 15 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

I also found a Robert Bruton in the following book page 155

Britain and Ireland, 900–1300: Insular Responses to Medieval European Change

You really should contact the Brutons of the political family in Meath. They will know their origin.