Author Topic: Trumroe/Tromra  (Read 6895 times)

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Trumroe/Tromra
« on: Tuesday 05 June 12 21:08 BST (UK) »
I have found mention of a place called "Trumroe" in some papers on Longford County Election Petitions, dated 1827.  The context hints at it being a townland - it was certainly in the Baronry of Granard.  However, I am not having any luck locating it on lists of Granard townlands or on-line maps, new or old.  Can anyone help me clarify where "Trumroe" was, is or might have been, please?
Thank you!
Rachel
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Trumroe?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 21:13 BST (UK) »
Probably Tromra which is a townland very near Granard
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 21:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Hallmark.  I did wonder and tried alternative spellings but the only Tromra I'm finding when I search maps is in Westmeath - I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here!  Can you offer me any further direction?
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 22:09 BST (UK) »
Here's the townland of Tromra, Co. Longford on the historic OSI map - c1835

Tromra townland, Granard civil parish

It's located about 2km north of Granard.

see : Granard to Tromra (Google Maps)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 22:11 BST (UK) »
Don't know anymore, sorry.

http://www.logainm.ie/Viewer.aspx?placeID=100020&tab=data  will get you a list of Longford townlands

http://www.logainm.ie/ will bring you to Base..you can select English version (top right)....then select county from left hand map, then you get a lot of options for that county, select Townlands and you get a list of townlands for that county..then click on any townland and you get it's details...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much - with your help I've finally got orientated (after hours of messing about!). 

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 June 12 12:58 BST (UK) »
Further to my ignorance of Tromra/Trumroe ...

I may have found a family link to this area but to be sure I have to access the relevant Roman Catholic baptism records.  Although the names I am searching are quite common, I am hoping the combination and date range will prove diagnostic.  However, I am not sure which RC church a family farming in this area would have attended in the 1820-1840s: would they have gone to church in Granard or one in Abbeylara RC parish (which seems to be split)?  Can anyone give me a hand with this?  Thanks!

Rachel

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Trumroe/Tromra
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 June 12 13:25 BST (UK) »
The RC parish for Tromra would have been Granard - the town is only about 2km to the south of Tromra. Records go back quite far for a rural RC parish - about 1780.

NLI Film reference is Pos. 4237, LDS/FamilySearch also seem to have copies of these.

Abbeylara parish seems to be split into three sections around Granard parish, but it's records only go back to 1854.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Trumroe/Tromra
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 June 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Shane.  Granard was my first thought.  I've now checked the Granard baptisms available on-line at the Longford genealogy site but without success. 

I'm just wondering whether they might have gone to St Mary's at Carra, which seems to be in Abbeylara parish, though not any further away from Tromra than Granard town?