Author Topic: Lamb Family, Cockerham 1800's  (Read 28498 times)

Offline Bridgebabe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Family, Cockerham 1800's
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 July 12 17:43 BST (UK) »
I am in direct line of the Lamb family of Aughton (St Saviour's near Halton). Earliest Lambe (sp varies through the centuries) was Thomas Lambe who was a customary tenant of the Earl of Arundel at Aughton in 1584.  It would seem likely that originally the families might have been linked. 

guest189040

« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 July 12 22:43 BST (UK) »
Maggy

Again what superb information.

I have not found any John Lamb census record for 1841 other than the John at Marsh Nook Cockerham

I found the Lancashire online records a while ago and downloaded all births with the intention of trying to produce a full Lamb tree in the Cockerham area as far back as I could go, sounds like you have already done that.  In looking at the John who was baptised in Jan 1799 I did find him myself but after a bit of research discounted him simply because the birth would probably have been in late 1798 so there would be a three year difference between this John and the John who was at Marsh Nook in 1841 and also as the father Richard was a cordwainer and that there was no similar trade in sons where there is with the Marsh Nook John.  I may have discounted John 1799 pre-maturely

Funny that the John you suggest is a cordwainer (fine shoemaker) as the grandson of Richard Lamb b1827 married an Alice Elizabeth Evans from Monmouth where her family go back over 100 years as shoemakers.

I take it that you are descended from Henry Threlfall-Lamb by the way you describe him

You state that a branch of the Threlfalls moved to Morecambe well I was at school in Morecambe with a Threlfall, I now wonder if there is a direct link.

Colin

guest189040

« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 July 12 22:46 BST (UK) »
Bridgebabe

I too would like to know if there is a link between the Lamb's of Cockerham and the Lamb's of Aughton.

I my case it would mean I am distantly related to my God-daughter as her mother was an Aughton Lamb

Colin

Offline tortiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hello from Thurnham, next door to Cockerham. I have been researching the history and occupants of Thurnham and have a rather large database of names including Lambs (of which my next-door neighbour is one) which I have gleaned from many sources. I wish I could guarantee its accuracy, but part-way through, I learnt that I could have attributed info to the wrong person, because I found people with the same Christian name and Surname both born in the same year from different families! I will get a doc together and attach it for you in the hope it helps. I have them going back to dying in 1596.

guest189040

« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 July 12 14:46 BST (UK) »
Many thanks

Some many Lamb's so little forename variation, its caused me a few difficulties.

I am confident going back to John b c1800, but which John as there is more than one but the couple I am descended from most definately is John and Ann nee Threlfall

Offline tortiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 July 12 15:12 BST (UK) »
Curses! I have several Johns but not one married to an Ann. Can you give me any of his siblings or descendants so I might be able to tie him in with one of my Johns for whom I have no wife? I have an Anna Threlfall b.1865, but that is too late for her to be his wife.

guest189040

« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 July 12 17:36 BST (UK) »
GReat records http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

Below are the two John's who may be the right John, the Trees on Ancestry favour the b1801 John but Maggy who has posted above puts a strong case for the John who was baptised in Jan 1799

Baptism: 12 Jan 1799 St Michael, Cockerham, Lancashire, England
John Lamb - Son of Richard Lamb
    Register: Baptisms 1793 - 1812, Page 15, Entry 2
    Source: LDS Film 1278859

Baptism: 30 Aug 1801 St Michael, Cockerham, Lancashire, England
John Lamb - Son of John Lamb & Elizabeth
    Abode: Glasson
    Register: Baptisms 1793 - 1812, Page 22, Entry 28

Record for Ann Threlfall

Baptism: 5 Sep 1802 St Michael, Cockerham, Lancashire, England
Ann Threlfall - Daughter of Richd. Threlfall & Betty
    Born: 14 Aug 1802
    Abode: Forton
    Register: Baptisms 1793 - 1812, Page 27, Entry 10

Marriage of John and Ann
Year:1825
Supplied Surname:THRELFALL
Surname:THRELFALL
Full First name:Anne
Supplied First Name:An
Spouse Surname:LAMB
Spouse Full First name:John
Spouse First Name:Jn
Place:COCKERHAM
County:Lancashire
Record source:Boyd's Marriage Index 1538-1840
Data provider:Society of Genealogists

If you PM me with your e-mail address I'll send you my take on the family tree which I have put together using Microsoft Excel

Offline MaggyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin
Please excuse the long delay in replying to the previous posting. I’ve spent a few months photographing the graves in my local cemetery, taking advantage of the fact the weather hasn’t been too bad.
I’ve had a good look at all of the Lambs that I have and I can’t find any connection to Lambs living in the Aughton area.
I’ve tried to make sense of the relationships between all the Lambs in the Cockerham/ Thurnham area and have constructed several trees in the process.
The John Lamb that I think I’m connected to is the son of Richard Lamb (1758-1827) who is the son of John Lamb (1720-1766) and Mary Charnock
He is the son of Thomas Lamb (B~1691) who married Ann Clark.
He is the son of Richard Lamb B~1652 who is the son of Andrew Lamb (B~1618)
All these earlier connections are based on limited resources, mainly IGI records and uninformative parish records so they may be dodgy!
The brother of John Lamb (1720-1766) is Thomas Lamb (B~1722, D 1796) who married Ellen Eskholme and had 5 children of which
A son John Lamb (1758-1828) married Elizabeth Towers and whose family were based in the Glasson area.
A son William Lamb B~1754 who married Hannah Sourbutts
A son Thomas Lamb B~1759, I don’t know what happened to him.
The children of John Lamb and Elizabeth Towers
1.   William Lamb (1781-1815) married Isabella Johnson. This family were based at Thurnham and had 5 children including a William Lamb and Thomas Lamb based in the Thurnham area and a son John Lamb who moved to Kendal, Westmoreland
2.   Thomas Lamb (1780-1857) lived in the Lancaster area
3.   James Lamb (1792-1869) based at Thurnham
4.   Agnes Lamb B1795 who married a John Lamb at St Marys Lancaster 3 June 1816 whose family moved to Bolton le Sands. The John Lamb here is the son of Cuthbert Lamb and Dorothy Ridge, all from the Thurham area.
5.   John Lamb (1801-1862) who I thought was my ancestor but I’m not so sure of now.
Cuthbert Lamb (1756-1827) is the son of Robert Lamb and Ann Laurence and lived in the Thurnham/ Ellel area.
He is the son of James Lamb (B~1683 Pilling) and Elizabeth Haresnape (B~1696 Cockerham)
They married 14 Feb 1715 at St Michaels Cockerham and had 8 children.
There are another family of Lambs based at Haycarr, Ellel.
The earliest I can trace these back to is William Lamb (1742-1789 Cockerham) and Elizabeth Threlfall (B~1742 Stalmine D1818 Cockerham)
They had 5 children, Thomas (B~1765), William (B~1767), Ellin (B~1771), Richard (B~1774) and Robert (B~1777, possibly died in infancy).
The son Thomas married Margaret Whiteside and had 12 children. One of these was Margaret Lamb who married William Brook Mortimer, a famous Statesman.
The son William married Deborah Parkinson and had 6 children
The son Richard married Isabella Jane Parkinson and had 4 children all living in the Cockerham area
Ellin Lamb married Ralph Gerrard and they lived in the Cockerham area.
The Haycarr Lambs have prominent graves in St Michaels, Cockerham.
The Lambs connected to Cuthbert Lamb have graves in both St Michaels and Christchurch Glasson.
There are a lot of children in these trees that I haven’t traced so there is a possibility that there are connections with Lambs in other areas. It’s a bit of a nightmare as they tend to name their offspring John, William and Thomas!

Offline MaggyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 14:03 BST (UK) »
The Henry Threlfall who is the son of John Lamb comes from a line of Threlfalls that originate from the Goosnaugh/ Woodplumpton area. Henry Threlfall is my great, great grandfather. His eldest son John is my great grandfather and his daughter Sarah Ellen Threlfall is my maternal grandmother. Henry’s mother Ann is the daughter of Richard Threlfall and Elizabeth Townson.  I can’t find any connection with the Elizabeth Threlfall who married William Lamb though.
A brother of Richard Threlfall, Thomas, moved to Poulton Le Sands area and some of the Threlfalls in this area originate from him. Of course they called all their offspring Thomas, Richard and Robert.
I’ve just discovered that Ancestry have now scanned copies of Baptisms/Burials and marriages for the Lancashire area. Unfortunately there are none for Cockerham yet but they do have ones for the Glasson/ Ellel areas.