Author Topic: Lamb Family, Cockerham 1800's  (Read 28493 times)

Offline tortiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Family, Cockerham 1800's
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 14:27 BST (UK) »
MaggyH - just seen this and I have info on both Threlfalls and Lambs. I got a lot of info for my Thurnham inhabitants which I am researching off this: http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Cockerham/index.html. Re- Threlfalls, I have an Alice d.1776, Anna b.1865, Isabella b.1854, James b.1821, John m.1763 to Sarah Nicholson at St. Michaels-on-Wyre, Margaret b.1742, Margaret b.1850, Thomas b.1848, William b.1800, William b.1852. I can provide further info, including sources, for both families in a doc if I can find out how to do it on here, or you can e-mail me directly. Please klet me know which is best for you.

guest189040

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 13:26 BST (UK) »
Maggie

You are a star

I have not been looking further into the Lamb's

Been very busy with Preston Guild activities

I'll have a look a see how the information fits in with my tree and get back to you

Take care

Offline MaggyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 15:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information tortiegirl
I’ve been using the Lancashire OLPC site for a few years now and they’re an extremely informative site. I also use Lancashire BMD very frequently as most of the Lancaster births now have maiden names included so it’s very useful to check that I’ve got the right families from census records.
I have these Threlfalls in my tree. They’re descendents of Thomas Threlfall and Margaret Whiteside. Their son James B1783 married Isabella Johnson at St Marys, Lancaster on the 12th September 1818. She was the widow of William Lamb B1781, the son of John Lamb and Elizabeth Towers so there is another connection between Threlfalls and Lambs.
Marriage: 12 Sep 1818 St Mary, Lancaster, Lancs.
James Threlfall - Husbandman of Ashton in this parish
Isabella Lamb - (X), Widow of Thurnham in this parish
    Witness: Jane Overend, (X); Wm. Rushton; R. Bainbridge
    Married by Licence by: Joseph Rowley Curate
    Register: Marriages 1813 - 1819, Page 272, Entry 815
    Source: LDS Film 1526200

Another son, Richard Threlfall married Betty Townson and had 6 children
Thomas THRELFALL Birth: 20 APR 1799
William THRELFALL Birth: 17 NOV 1800
Anne THRELFALL Birth: 1802, Cockerham, Lancs
John THRELFALL Birth: 14 FEB 1805, Cockerham, Lancs.
James THRELFALL Birth: 11 FEB 1813, Poulton-le-Sands, Lancashire, England
 Richard THRELFALL Birth: 3 MAR 1818, Lancashire
Their daughter is the Anne Threlfall that married John Lamb (1799-1847).
There are quite a few genealogists that are descended from Anne’s brother John, so you will find quite a few published trees on the web.
I’m not doing much research on the Threlfalls presently; I’m concentrating on my relatives that were living in the Padiham area in the late Victorian age.
The only brick wall that I have is that I can’t find any records relating to John Lambs burial place. I have his death certificate so I know he died on 18 May 1847 at Marsh, Cockerham. So I would be grateful if anyone has found anything relevant.
Colin, I hope I haven’t swamped you with lots of Lambs!
When you've got time feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Offline frian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 24 September 12 17:34 BST (UK) »
I've been busy for the past month and only just noticed this discussion on the Lamb family of Cockerham.  I too have a lot of info on various Lambs since I descend from John Lamb and Hannah Wadsworth who married at Lancaster 4 May 1789.  John died at Thurnham 1833 and Hannah at Thurnham in 1853.  They have a large tomb in Cockerham churchyard with a very informative inscription (see page 10 of the Cockerham MI booklet which has already been mentioned - it's obtainable from the Lancaster Family History Group - I bought Glasson Dock, Ellel and Cockerham from them only about two months ago). 
My reason for mentioning this set of Lambs is to alert Maggy H. that Agnes Lamb who married a John Lamb and moved to Bolton-le-Sands, is a daughter of John and Hannah - the probate papers at the Lancashire Archives in Preston for John Lamb (WRW A 1833) and Hannah Lamb (WRW A 1853) make this very clear and beyond any doubt whatsoever.
The baptism of an Agnes Lamb daughter of John Lamb, extra parochial, at Cockerham 21 Feb 1796 looks like her.  Incidentally Agnes appears to have had an illegitimate son Richard (died 27 April 1825 age 10 - mentioned on the MI).
My descent from this family is from John & Hannah's other daughter Hannah who married John Parkinson at Lancaster in 1812 (she's also mentioned on the MI).

Happy to share Lambs with others who find this family name a trial!

Ian

PS I'm also related by marriage at least twice to the family of Cuthbert / Cuddy Lamb of Thurnham.....

Offline MaggyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 13:34 BST (UK) »
Ian

When I made notes to post here I used a different computer from my home computer and I must have loaded an old backup Gedcom file rather than my current file in order to list the various lamb trees that I have. Most of the trees have not needed amending or appending for a while and I didn’t notice that I was looking at an older version. I have now checked my current tree to check my entry for Agnes Lamb and I this has Agnes Lamb as John Lamb and Hannah Wadsworth’s daughter. This John Lamb being the son of John Lamb and Mary Charnock? I knew Agnes Lamb married a John Lamb that connected two of my trees together, the tree with the Cuddy Lambs from Thurnham and the tree with the Cockerham Lambs.
I’ve checked all my other information and that’s the same. However, William Brook Mortimer is the son of Margaret Lamb not her husband, I must have missed a line out while typing out my notes, and my eyesight is getting bad these days. Her husband being Joseph Mortimer.
This summer, I found some entries concerning Lambs in digitised copies of the Lancaster Gazette available from the British newspaper archive and I found a few entries in the births, marriages and deaths columns that might be of interest to you and some relating to the John Lamb born about 1801 and his wife. I also found an article relating to Cuddy Lamb’s wife Ann Dawson.

Sat 02 Mar 1833
On the 21st inst. at Thurnham Moss, Mr. John Lamb, yeoman, aged 82; a man throughout life greatly respected by all who knew him.

Sat 16 Apr 1853
Thurnham Moss. — On the 10th inst, Hannah, widow of the late Mr. John Lamb, aged 83 years.

Sat 07 Jan 1865
Bolton-le Sands.— On the Ist inst , Agnes, wife of Mr, John Lamb, farmer, aged 67 years.
Sat 11 Aug 1866
Bolton- le- Sands. — On the 2nd inst., Mr. John Lamb, aged 70 years.
Sat 15 Feb 1862
Lancaster. — On the 6th inst.. Mr. John Lamb, timber agent, Union Workhouse, aged 61 years.
Sat 04 Nov 1882
Glasson Dock— On the Ist inst., Mary, widow of the late Mr. John Lamb, timber agent, aged 73 years

Offline MaggyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 13:34 BST (UK) »
03 Jan 1857 Lancaster Gazette
JUDGES' LODGINGS, Saturday Magistrates present :— W. Ford, Esq., chairman ;B. P. Gregson, E. Dawson, W. B. Bolden, J. C. Satterthwaite, and J. Edmondson, Esquires. GROSS CASE OF ASSAULT. John Alston, of Carnforth, was charged by Ann Lamb, the wife of Cuthbert Lamb, of the same place, platelayer, with having assaulted her on the 31st of October last. Mr. J. Sharp appeared for the complainant and Mr. C T. Clark for the defendant. Ann Lamb, on examination, said she lived in a cottage near the line of railway at Carnforth, about half a mile from any other house. About eight weeks ago John Alston came to our house: he has a piece of land near, which he cultivates. The land is perhaps 100 yards from the house, and he has been in the habit of borrowing things from her. It was on a Friday that the defendant came. At the time I was wiping the eggs for the market, and he asked me if I wanted any one to help me with the eggs. I said I did not. He then came in and shut the door. (Witness here described the manner in which the defendant threw her down, and grasped her throat with both hands. The other details are unfit for publication. The capital offence was not committed.) Alston afterwards got his back against the door, and would not let me go out. I pulled down the parlour window, and called to a man who was working in a field, whose name, I think, was Robert Jackson, but I am not sure about his name. Alston could not see him coming, but I said that Jackson was coining towards the house. I told Alston that I would tell my husband when he came home. I felt the grip on my throat for three or four days afterwards. Cross-examined by Mr. Clark. — lt was about 10 o'clock in the morning, and I did not expect my husband home before 12 o'clock. Alston and I had never been alone together before this, and I never gave him cause or wished him to take liberties with me. I did not tell my father in law, because I did not know how he would take it. I was afraid. I laid this information in consequence of the scandalous tales which had got about concerning my character, and which were put out by Alston. Re-examined. — l took these proceedings that these scandalous tales might be cleared up. My little boy and girl were at school. My father in law lives about a mile from me. Alston appeared sober. Cuthbert Lamb, the husband of the last witness, deposed that his wife told him about what had happened as soon as he came in to dinner. Witness did not like to meddle with the defendant, because he was afraid that Alston would do him an injury. (Alston seems to be a desperate character.) Robert Gibson, the man who was called by the complainant to assist her, said he was at work for Alston at the time, and saw the defendant leave the house at the time in question. Heard Mrs. Lamb call out to him. She said, “Come and take this man of yours away." — This was the principal evidence, after which Mr. Clark addressed the magistrates for the defence, and the bench determined to commit the prisoner for a common assault, and inflicted the extreme penalty of £5, and in default Alston was committed to the House of Correction for two months.

Offline frian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 27 September 12 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Maggy

Many thanks for all this.  There's something rather reassuring about discovering my 4xgreat grandfather was greatly respected by all who knew him.  Having said that, I'm also related to the Alstons, but I deny all knowledge of this John.

I think that the Cuthbert Lamb mentioned in the newspaper article is Cuthbert son of John and Agnes (born 1822 Cockerham). He married Ann Parkinson at Bolton-le-Sands in 1848 and is at Bolton-le-Sands on the 1851 census.  I haven't traced them beyond that, but it could be that they had moved two miles up the road to Carnforth by 1857.

Since I retired 18 months ago I've come back to family history.  I did a lot of research in the 1980s and spent days in the Lancashire archives going through the Cockerham and Glasson registers, and working my way through piles of Lamb and Parkinson wills.  I'm just about to go away for the weekend, but I'll let you have a list of what wills I've seen.  Maybe you've already worked your way through them......

Ian

guest189040

« Reply #34 on: Monday 01 October 12 19:47 BST (UK) »
Maggie

You have certainly swamped me with info, I have not been doing any research for the last month but am now getting back into it

I have John Lamb's burial on the 21st May 1847 in Cockerham which is 3 days after his death

The only place I could find information was on www.familysearch.org

Ann Lamb nee Threlfall also died in 1847

For others reading this thread both were my Great Great Great Grandparents

Col

Offline MaggyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin
Thanks for the burial information on John Lamb. I've looked many times through the St Michael Cockerham burial records but never found an entry.
Ann Threlfall is my maternal great great great grandmother. I'm not sure whether John Lamb is my great, great, great grandfather as my great, great grandfather was born as Henry Threlfall before Ann and John were married. He is listed as Henry Lamb in the 1841 census, although they fibbed about his age, making it look like he was born after their marriage.
I have scans of both John and Ann Lambs death certificates which I will have to crop to reduce the file size so I can post them here for you.
Best wishes
Maggy