Author Topic: Lamb Family, Cockerham 1800's  (Read 29290 times)

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Family, Cockerham 1800's
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 June 12 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

It may be worth taking a look at this site, you may find the connections to your family here.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Aughton/index.html

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 June 12 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

Do you have burials for the Lambs in Cockerham? I was in Lancaster Library today - there are many Lambs listed in the memorial inscriptions for St Michael's church in Cockerham. These are not online. I had read your post but not taken it with me, so the following is a bit random I'm afraid!

On the memorials, place names of Hay Carr, Ellel, and Sandside, Cockerham were mentioned several times. Also Glasson Dock, Thurnham and Preston, but I couldn't see anything relating to Aughton.
There was a Rev. Robert Lamb d. 1872 age 60 that had been rector of St Pauls church in Manchester .
Another Robert Lamb of Cockerham died 1829 in America, age 50, although his wife Ann was buried at St Michaels in 1852. Robert and Ann Lamb had four children buried as  infants 'interred at Maiden Bradley, Wiltshire' between 1813 and 1815, so they clearly got around a bit.
The earliest burial I could see was a William Lamb, died 11th Jan 1789 in his 59th year. The latest was another William died 1990 age 72

When you get your certificates, I could visit the church in the next couple of weeks if you would like any grave photos. And/or copy more transcriptions from the MI listings in the library

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest189040

« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 June 12 19:38 BST (UK) »
I have filled in some of the blanks today on the Lancashire Parish Records site, now have to use all the records I now have to fill in a comprehensive Lamb tree in the 1800's.

On Ancestry I have also found someone else who had researched this branch of the Lamb family and they have a line back to Richard Lamb b1584

Many thanks Barbara for the kind offer, I live in Preston and am often in Lancaster so I can go in and look, also I went to Cockerham on Tuesday to look at the houses John, Richard and William used to live in.  Also I like the cat image, I have 3

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 June 12 21:06 BST (UK) »
 :) :)

There should be MIs for Aughton in the library as well, it was the same history society that transcribed both churches
http://www.lancasterfamilyhistory.org.uk/index.htm

good luck!
 :) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest189040

« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 June 12 13:34 BST (UK) »
Barbara

Many thanks

I believe that the William you are referring to who died in 1879 may well have been the brother of my Great Great Grandfather Richard Lamb.

I am now sure that I am decended from Richard as his sons Marriage Certificate arrived today to give me confirmation and also the witnesses were his aunt and uncle Jane and Richard Raby and it is possible that Jane had an influence on William's upbringing as he is listed as living with them in a census return.

My tree trunk is complete I now just have the branches to decorate

Offline MaggyH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin
I’ve been studying the Lamb family from the Cockerham area for about 6 years and produced a very large and somewhat complex set of trees. My research started through the Threlfall family as my great, great grandfather was Henry Threlfall (also known as Henry Lamb) who was born as the illegitimate son of Ann Threlfall about 1823.

The facts that I have found seem to be relevant to your research.
John Lamb married Ann Lamb at St Michaels Parish church, Cockerham on 23rd May 1825

“John Lamb labourer of the parish of Cockerham and Ann Threlfall (X) of the same parish spinster by Banns by those required by law on 23 May 1825 in the presence of John Threlfall and Robert Stirzaker?”(Lancashire record office Preston, Parish record PR1378 entry 319 pg. 107)

Initially I thought John Lamb was the son of John Lamb and Elizabeth Towers but I now believe that John Lamb is the son of Richard Lamb born about 1758 at Cockerham and Margaret Jolleys.
 I’ve found a Baptism record from St Michaels Cockerham.
“John son of Richard Lamb Cordwainer on 12 Jan 1799” (Lancashire record office Preston, Parish record PR1371).

I have the death certificates of John Lamb and Ann Lamb nee Threlfall
Entry 226 “On eighteenth May 1847, Marsh, Cockerham. John Lamb male, 47 years, farmer. Died of phthisis four months certified. Informant was Richard Threlfall (X) in attendance of Death, Cockerham on Twentieth of May 1847. Registrar was George Drinkall”
Entry 158 “Death in the sub district of Ellel. On 13th April 1846 at Marsh Cockerham. Ann Lamb 43yrs wife of John Lamb, farmer. Died of Consumption, not certified. Informant was Henry Lamb, present at the death, Cockerham. Registered on 16th April 1846. Registrar was George Blizard”.

I haven’t found a burial entry for John Lamb but I have a burial entry for Ann Threlfall in the St Michael, Cockerham Parish records.
“Ann Lamb of Cockerham on April 16th 1846 aged 43 yrs.”( Lancashire record office Preston, Parish record PR 3251 entry 111)

John and Ann had 8 children, all born in Cockerham. I don’t know if Henry Threlfall was a son of John Lamb but he states that John Lamb is his father on his marriage licence.
Henry Threlfall (aka Henry Lamb) B~1823 Died 9th April 1887 at Hapton near Padiham, Lancashire
Margaret B~1825 Married Robert Whittaker 2nd Dec 1843 St Michaels Cockerham
John B~1827 Died 1852 Marsh, Cockerham
Richard B~1827 Died 1896 Cockerham
William B ~1830 Died 1830 Cockerham
Ann B ~1835 Died 1880 Pilling Married Robert Thornton 27 June 1857 at St John the Baptist, Pilling
Thomas B~1838 Died 1908 Garstang area, married Sarah Dobson 17 May 1862, St John, Outer Rawcliffe
Jane B~1840 died 8th September 1880 Cockerham
Alice B ~1844 Died 1844 Cockerham

I’ve found an 1841 census record that has John and Ann Lamb living at Marsh Nook, Cockerham
Richard Lamb born 1827 married Jane Hardman on the 8th Feb 1851 at St Michaels Cockerham and his sister Jane Lamb married Jane Hardman’s brother John on 18th June 1864 at St Michael’s Cockerham.

I have a Baptism record for William Lamb, the son of Richard Lamb
“William son of Richard and Jane Lamb of Cockerham, labourer, on 20 November 1865” (Manchester Central library MFPR 1012 entry 1624)
And a marriage record (Lancashire record office, Preston PR2688 pg. 64 entry 127)
“William Lamb 28yrs Bachelor, Labourer of Cockerham and Isabella Gorst 21yrs spinster of Cockerham on June 9 1894 by Banns. Her father was Robert Gorst, Labourer. His father was Richard Lamb, labourer. Witnessed by Richard Raby and Jane Raby, by George Wilks vicar of Ellel”

Although most of this branch of the Lambs is buried in St Michaels Cockerham, very few have Gravestones. There is a set of large gravestones in St Michael, Cockerham that belong to the Lambs of Hay Carr. Hay Carr being the property of a William Lamb Esq and his sons who were Land Agent’s to the Duke of Hamilton, who owned most of the land in the Parish of Cockerham. Unfortunately there is no direct relationship to the Lambs above.
If you have any other query feel free to ask.
Best wishes, Maggy

guest189040

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 19:31 BST (UK) »
Maggy

What a reply, I have the Lamb surname and my research into the family name has been a revalation.

Previously all we knew was my Grandfathers Name, Grandmother Lamb's maiden name was Evans and she came from Monmouth and that there was a Gorst somewhere in the past and also a Whitaker, thats all

Now I have 15 out of 16 Great Great Great Grandparents and the trees from them to the 1911 census and as far back as I can go.

Your information verifies my own findings and also fills in a lot of doubts, many, many thanks

William Lamb married Isabella Gorst who was the illigitimate child of Grace Gorst and I believe that the Robert Gorst listed on her marriage cert was in fact her Grandfather, I also have her birth cert and no father is listed

I did smile when I was filling in the tree that Jane Lamb became Jane Hardman and Jane Hardman became Jane Lamb.

Initially I did have trouble identifying my Great Grandfather William as there were quite a few William Lambs baptized in Cockerham. On Grandfathers marriage cert the witnesses are the Raby's so that gave me a positive match to the right William, Then getting his parents was a problem as he did not live with them during the census returns but he was with his Aunt and Uncle the Johnsons.

Now just how William Lamb in Cockerham met and married a girl from Nether Kellet was a mystery until I found them on the same farm in Middleton on the other side of the Lune to Cockerham on the Farm of a William Gorst Who may have been Isabella's Uncle, but I have yet to follow up that possibility as form Nether Kellet to Middleton would have been quite a trek on the off chance of work.

The Church records on line have been a great help.

Of my fathers and my own generation no Lamb's presently reside in or around Cockerham, I live in Preston, my brother in Morecambe, cousins (with the Lamb name) in Maryport and London

In my tree I have a questionmark against John's father as it is unclear if John or Richard is his father, can you please advics on your research into this link

I'd love to hear more from you on the Lamb's in general.

Also do you have any images of the Lambs, all I have is one picture of my Grandfather at my older brother's wedding

Offline MaggyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 July 12 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin
I’m always pleased when I can help fellow genealogists. I didn’t mention details about John Lamb’s parentage as I thought that I would start with information that I’m fairly confident about. I’m fairly certain that the John Lamb who married Ann Threlfall was the son of Richard Lamb and Margaret Jolleys rather than the son of John Lamb and Elizabeth Towers. I’m still missing a burial record for John Lamb to substantiate my death certificate information though.
From the 1841 census his date of birth is about 1801 and the IGI had a full family tree with all of John Lamb and Elizabeth Tower’s children, including their youngest son John Lamb baptised in 1801 at Cockerham. So it’s natural to assume that must be that John Lamb. However I knew both John and Ann Lamb died before the 1851 census and I just couldn’t find a death Index for a John Lamb born in or around 1801 who died before 1851 that was not an infant. I also had census data for a John Lamb and Mary Lamb who were living in Thurnham, this John being about the same age as the other John, but I had no idea of how they were connected to other Lambs from that area.
After finding a burial record for Elizabeth Towers it implied that Elizabeth resided in Thurnham before her death and it made me think that perhaps the John Lamb from Thurnham might be her son rather than the John Lamb from Marsh, Cockerham.
I also found a MI transcription for John and Mary who were buried at Christchurch Glasson; this gives a date of birth for the Thurnham John as 1801.
I had a three possible death indexes for adult John Lambs in the Ellel area who died before 1851 and sent for the one that seemed the most likely and found that I had got one for a John Lamb born about 1799 and died at Marsh, Cockerham, his occupation being a farmer. Then I found a baptism record for a John Lamb from Cockerham for a baptism on 2 Jan 1799, the son of Richard Lamb.
So, in Summary I think that the Cockerham John Lamb is the son of Richard Lamb and Margaret Jolleys, he was born about 1799 in Cockerham and was a farmer living in Marsh Cockerham and the other John Lamb married to Mary is the son of John Lamb and Elizabeth Towers, was born in 1801, lived at Thurnham and was a Dock Labourer.
I’ve put the transcriptions of the relevant records as another reply as my message exceeds the number of characters allowed if posted as one message
I think both John Lambs are related, being second cousins. There are a few trees on Roots web that have this Branch of the Lambs going back a few generations. I think these trees are based on IGI records.
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com
The connection is:-
John Lamb’s father, Richard Lamb was baptised at St Michaels Cockerham”Richard son of John Lamb of Cockerham on 17 Feb 1759”
Richard married Margaret Jolleys 19 Nov 1782 at St Michaels Cockerham
Richard’s Father John Lamb was born about 1720 Cockerham
(IGI record Batch No.: P007282 Father JOHN LAMBE Christening:  17 JAN 1720   Cockerham)
John Lamb married Mary Charnock 20 Jan 1749 St Michaels Cockerham
John Lamb’s father, Thomas Lamb born about 1691 and married Ann Clark 25 May 1714 Cockerham
Another son of Thomas Lamb and Ann Clark is Thomas Lamb born about 1722
Thomas Lamb married Ellen Escolme on 18th June 1747 at St Michaels Cockerham and one of their sons was the John Lamb born 1758 who married Elizabeth Towers
If you want details about Ann Threlfall and her relatives, there is a tree published on the web, with the information consistent (and found independently) with my tree.
http://www.wardjc.com/people/p00000g7.htm
I haven’t any photographs of any of my ancestors other than my grandmother as an elderly lady. I found some photographs of the Raby’s on the website of the Fleetwood Maritime museum. Unfortunately they redesigned the website and took all the photos off but I imagine they are still held at the museum. These are of Dick Raby, fisherman and lighthouse keeper with his sister Janet at the two Cockersands lighthouses, 1950s. Source: © Robert Parkinson. Lancaster Maritime Museum (Lancaster City Museums). Dick Raby was the son of Richard Raby and Jane Lamb, who was the daughter of Richard Lamb and Jane Hardman.
Although my family lived in Cockerham in the early Victorian era, branches of the family moved out of Cockerham to the industrial towns in the 1870’s and 1880’s. My branch moved to Padiham near Burnley and one branch of the Threlfall’s moved to Morecambe and became fishermen.
Please let me know if there’s any other information you might have trouble finding in case I have something somewhere. I have stacks of A6 notebooks with parish records written down in pencil from my frequent trips to the record office at Preston.
Best wishes
Maggy

Offline MaggyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 July 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi again Colin, here are my transcriptions for the records
John Lamb, born about 1758
Burial St Michael Cockerham PR 1381 entry 917 “John Lamb of Glasson on 8 April 1828 aged 69yrs”
Elizabeth Towers born about 1760 Burial Cockerham St Michael PR 1381 entry 1389
“Betty Lamb of Thurnham on 22 March 1837 aged 87yrs”.
Married 3rd Oct 1780 at St Michaels Cockerham
Their son John Lamb born about 1801 Baptism St Michael Cockerham PR1372
“John son of John and Elizabeth Lamb of Glasson on Aug 5 1801”
Census records for John Lamb born about 1801 Thurnham
1841 lived at No. 5 Thurnham Terrace, Thurnham
1851 lived at Dalton St, Thurnham, occupation Dock Labourer
1861 lived in Lancaster Union Workhouse, previous occupation Dock Labourer
Died  4 Feb 1862 in the Lancaster Union Workhouse and was buried on the 6th Feb 1862 at Christchurch Glasson
Entry in the Lancaster Gazette Sat 15 Feb 1862
“Lancaster. — On the 6th inst. Mr. John Lamb, timber agent, Union Workhouse, aged 61 years”.
Married Mary Hodgson on 12 March 1827 at St Mary Lancaster, She died 1 Nov 1882 and was buried on the 4th Nov 1882
They are both buried in Christchurch, Glasson and there is a MI inscription
“In remembrance of John Lamb of Glasson Dock died February 4th 1862 aged 61 years. Also Mary his widow died November 1st 1882 aged 78 years. Also Margaret their daughter died November 5th 1842 aged 18 years. Also James Marsh Robinson great grandson to the above born April 21st died May 10th 1893. Also Mary their daughter died November 27th 1914 aged 82 years”.
Baptism records for John Lamb born about 1799 Cockerham
Lancashire OPC
Baptism: 12 Jan 1799 St Michael, Cockerham, Lancashire, England
John Lamb - Son of Richard Lamb
    Register: Baptisms 1793 - 1812, Page 15, Entry 2
    Source: LDS Film 1278859
IGI
 JOHN LAMB Pedigree
 Christening:  12 JAN 1799   Cockerham, Lancashire, England
  Father:  RICHARD LAMB  Family
Source Information:
 Batch No.:   P007282  1659 - 1875 

St Michael Cockerham parish record , Lancashire record office, Preston Fiche PR1371
John son of Richard Lamb Cordwainer on 12 Jan 1799

Marriage certificate of Henry Threlfall/Lamb
The marriage was in the parish church at Cockerham on 6th November 1847, the service was according to the rites of the church of England. Henry Threlfall was 25 yrs old and a bachelor and farmer. Ann Physick (X) was 21 yrs and a spinster. Both resided in Cockerham. His father was John Lamb, a farmer. Her father was William Physick, a labourer. The witnesses were John Lamb and Mary Physick(X)

Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1847
PHYSICK * Ann LAMB Henry Lancaster, Cockerham, St Michael Preston CE3/1/188
PHYSICK * Ann THRELFALL Henry Lancaster, Cockerham, St Michael Preston CE3/1/188