Author Topic: PARISH CHURCH RECORDS  (Read 9330 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: PARISH CHURCH RECORDS
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 November 15 14:24 GMT (UK) »

Thank you so much for all that information it makes for interesting reading. This is the Wigmore family I've been looking for. Have you any more details about their father James and his accident?

I can add a little more data for you, Stephen and James were distant relatives of Archbishop Mannix but that's all I know.

Margaret

Offline jjfmurphy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 November 15 15:51 GMT (UK) »
The farther James and his brother Stephen both died in hunting/horse accidents about the same time. I've attached a clipping on the death of Stephen (i presume Stephen given the date 1875). Also, there was a brother Patrick who did around the same time it seems he caught an infection from a patient.

I've also attached the obituary of Stephen Wigmore (1816-1909) - this my answer lots of question (and give you lots more)

Offline jjfmurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 November 15 15:54 GMT (UK) »

Thank you so much for all that information it makes for interesting reading. This is the Wigmore family I've been looking for. Have you any more details about their father James and his accident?

I can add a little more data for you, Stephen and James were distant relatives of Archbishop Mannix but that's all I know.

Margaret

Stephen Wigmore - 1816 - 1909 obituary

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 November 15 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Wow that is some family tree. He was really well thought of and the family look like they were very intelligent and intensly religious.

So James was James' (1879) grandfather. Do you have any information about James' Father dying before his birth? Was the accident on the farm?

James stayed in Australia for the rest of his life and died in 1972 age 93.

Margaret

Offline jjfmurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 November 15 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Nothing on James death beyond the mention in Stephens obituary. Stephen was the grandfather. See attached for the tree as I understand it.

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 November 15 20:26 GMT (UK) »

Thank you so much you've confirmed a lot of the information I have and it makes me feel more comfortable about calling it the Wigmore family tree.

I'll see if I caan find anything else about James' fathers death and I will let you know if I find anything.

Thanks once again.

Margaret  :)

Offline jjfmurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 November 15 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Happy to help. If you do find out more on the death of James please let me know. 

Offline Joan Corkery

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 16 August 18 00:47 BST (UK) »
I think I may be related to Kate Callaghan, wife of James Wigmore. She may have been a sister of my g-g grandmother Julia Callaghan. Their father was Patrick Callaghan. At the time of the 1911 census, Kate was a widow and I suspect that there may not be any descendants of this branch of the Wigmore family. Kate listed 5 children born and 3 still living. Those still living were probably Ellen Mary who did not marry, and James and Stephen -both priests. Her son in law was also a widower as Kate's daughter died having given birth to only one daughter, Mary Josephine Culhane, who also died of double pneumonia, aged 17. If anybody is familiar with the history of this family, I would be extremely grateful to hear from you.