Author Topic: Thomas Webster born 1805  (Read 8063 times)

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thomas Webster born 1805
« on: Wednesday 06 June 12 19:49 BST (UK) »
I have a 3x G Grandfather who appears in the 1841; 51 and 61 census returns for Peakirk, Northants, and describes his birthplace variously as 'Rutland' and 'Glinton, Northants' about 1805.

Using Familysearch.org I can find no baptism record which corresponds.

Is there anyone who knows Rutland PR's better than I who can help identify this birth/baptism please?

Many thanks
Mosley; Pugh; Thorpe; Webster; Hill; Ibberson; Nicholson; Moody; Maxfield; Newbold; Lee; Adams; Walker; Tesh; Barnes; Brittlebank; Cowlishaw; Smethurst; Alsibrook

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Webster born 1805
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 12 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure how helpful this is...

Source, Exton PR:
8 Jan 1809 Thomas Webster s. of Robert & Sarah, bap.
27 July 1802 Robert Webster OTP & Sarah Newman OTP, mar.

Regards
Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 12 10:34 BST (UK) »
Me neither  ;)

Someone on Ancestry believes he was baptised in Little Casterton, 1805, and that he married a Mary Wigginton.

I can't find any Little Casterton PR's on Familysearch or on Ancestry. Does anyone know if they are available anywhere?

The same person (who has no sources), believes his parents to be William Webster, born 1774, Maxey, and Anne Leyton, born 1775.

Any ideas gratefully received.
Mosley; Pugh; Thorpe; Webster; Hill; Ibberson; Nicholson; Moody; Maxfield; Newbold; Lee; Adams; Walker; Tesh; Barnes; Brittlebank; Cowlishaw; Smethurst; Alsibrook

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 12 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

In your first post you seemed to think he was born in Rutland or Northants, hence my response to your request re. Rutland PR's. I hadn't looked at the census material, I since have.

In the 41 & 51 census, if this is your Thomas, he appears with his wife, Mary and family and described as a farmer, in a 61 census with very similar details all I can find is, Thomas on his own and described as a wheelwright.

It may pay to build a profile of Thomas first, before trying to find his parents.
Also worth noting, the boundaries in the said areas appear to have changed a lot over time, hopefully someone with greater experience sees your post and can advise more appropriately.

On the Mary Wigginton front (assuming she is the correct Mary)...
Source, IGI (extracted records):
2 Dec 1833 Thomas Webster & Mary Wigginton, Glinton, mar.
22 Aug 1813 Mary d. of John Wigginton & Martha, Glinton, bap.

Re. the Little Casterton PR's, I don't think they are available on Family Search until 1810 or 1813.

Regards
Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 12 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Geoff, it is much appreciated and may help me in my quest to put the patchwork together.

Typical of my ancestors to live in places which change counties frequently.. I've spent years looking at Derbyshire and Yorkshire.. These are the first in Rutland or Northants (although I grew up in Northants)

It looks like I need to find someone who has access to PR's in the local record offices. (I don't live in the UK)

Best regards
Martin

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
HI All.

The marriage is on the Northants Marriage Indexes for Thomas and Mary.

Glinton
02 Dec 1833
Thomas WEBSTER otp, bachelor & Mary WIGGINTON otp, spinster

Sandy            
Census Crown Copyright

Offline jadzia

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 June 12 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if this helps but I have the transcribed parish records for Little Casterton (up to 1812) there is the following baptism:

23 Sep 1804, Thomas Layton Webster, S/O William & Ann,  Little Casterton. 

The only other child I can see of this family is:
11 Nov 1802, Robert Webster, S/O William & Ann, Notes: 11 Aug privately,  Little Casterton. 

:)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 June 12 07:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jadzia!

The records are not available on line as yet, and 40 years ago, when I lived in Northants I had no idea I'd one day be looking for them! Unfortunately it simply isn't practical to get to the uk for record office visits either, so your help, and that of everyone who has taken the time to transcribe records really is appreciated.

Best regards

Offline jadzia

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 June 12 08:11 BST (UK) »
I'm glad to help...I'm happy to do look-ups if you need anymore.  I'll have another look and see what other Thomas Webster information I can find and get back to you...we may be able to find him and if not at least we may be able to discount some.

I know just what you mean I no longer live in the UK and it has made my researching quite a lot harder. I lived in Northants before coming here too...

:)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk