Author Topic: Help Anne Doherty 1935 sisters of Nazareth Derry  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Rosetta89

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Anne Doherty 1935 sisters of Nazareth Derry
« on: Thursday 07 June 12 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hello, Complete novice, would appreciate any help, links or any little snippets to grasp.

Trying to find info on two people that have the most com on names in ireland but hopefully something will come from this long shot  :)

My Grandmar was born 20/12/1935 Anne Patricia Doherty, she was brought up in the 'care' of the sisters of Nazareth (Derry, Londonderry) known as 'Sheila'until she was old enough to leave for England. She had a pretty awful childhood, she didn't discuss it much but had both physical and mental scars to show, she passed in 2000, now I am old enough I'm trying to dig around. I wrote letters and emails to SON but got no response. All I have is all she had, her birth certificate. Father unknown, mother - Mary Doherty, Donagal, tobacconist. And that is it.

She had a memory of a young lady trying to take her from SON when she was about five or six, she believed this to be her mother, I think she clinged to this memory.

Anything appreciated, thanks
Rosetta x

Offline seandonegal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help Anne Doherty 1935 sisters of Nazareth Derry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 21 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rosetta,  Where does Annes  birth cert say she was born, is it Donegal or Derry and who was present at the birth.
  Good luck with search

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie McLaughlin (Mcloughlin) & James Harkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 21 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Have you done a dna test?
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline seandonegal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 21 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for contacting me and yes I have had a Dna test with Ancestry.co.uk. 
My Ged Match number is RW 4851654.

My query re Anne Doherty however had nothing to do with a possible relationship, it was in the hope of learning something about her adoption in 1935.

I had a cousin who was being pressed into giving up her baby for adoption and the birth took place in Buncranna, many miles from our home base of Stranorlar. We had no family connection with Buncrana and I am wondering if there was some organisation in Buncrana  which facilitated adoptions at that time

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 21 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I think that records will be subject the 100 year closure rule.  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU