Author Topic: Cornton House, Stirling 1871  (Read 6488 times)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cornton House, Stirling 1871
« on: Thursday 07 June 12 18:35 BST (UK) »
Can anyone do me a look up of the above to see who was staying there in 1871?

Thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cornton House, Stirling 1871
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 12 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

As far as I know - only Find My Past have the Scottish census searchable by address and their T & C's prevent such info being published from their website
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 12 19:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carole, I have a subscription to that site but nothing is coming up under Cornton or Cornton St or Easter Cornton or Cornton House using the address search.  I thought perhaps someone had knowledge of this place.

Barbara

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 12 20:10 BST (UK) »
Duncan and Jamieson's Stirling Directory for 1870-71 doesn't list a Cornton House. Do you know what type of house it was - was it possibly a farm?

1866 'Threepeny Guide' gives names of a number of farmers in the area:
Robert Lucas at Mid-Cornton, John Proudfoot at West-Cornton and Thomas Steel at East-Cornton.

These guides are available free on Internet archive. Go to http://archive.org/details/texts and type Stirling directories into search box.

Hope this might help a bit

Sandy

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 12 20:20 BST (UK) »
I have a Mrs Tweedie alias Halliburton owning a house in Edinburgh in 1873 who says she lives in Cornton House, Stirlling.  I don't think she was there in 1871 but would like to have an idea of who was there but I don't have any further information.  Do you know if it comes under something other than Stirling for its address as I just can't get it to come up doing an address search even missing the House part out.

Thanks Sandy for that, will have a look and see if it helps at all.

Barbara

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 12 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Cornton is now regarded as part of Stirling, and there are a number of housing developments there, but in the 1870's I think it would have mainly been farmland. Looking at Google earth satellite view there are 2 buildings in the area showing up as Cornton house. One looks like a modern house, but the other is part of a group of buildings, which may have been farm buildings, on what looks like a small lane named Cornton House Road which is off the Easter Cornton Road. Google's street view doesn't cover the area to allow a closer look! There could have been an older building at some time with the same name. Also found a reference to a Cornton house in Doune which is near Stirling, but I think is/was in Perthshire rather than Stirlingshire. I have some books about old Stirling which might have more clues I'll have a rummage through these and see if I can find anymore unless someone else comes up with the answer before then.

Regards

Sandy

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 June 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
I appreciate that, Sandy.  I have managed to find Cornton Road, Cornton and Cornton Brickworks under Logie, Perthshire on Find my past but so far no Cornton House. Maybe try Doune now with your advice.

Barbara

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 June 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
Barbara

I've looked through books I have but Cornton doesn't get a mention in any of them! Had a look at the large scale OS maps available on the NLS web site and there is very little in the area, other than what are presumably the farms, on the maps from the 1860's. There are a few more features in the next survey which was after 1871, (1880's I think) including the brickworks you mention. The farms and some other buildings are named on these maps. Couldn't see a Cornton House, but there was a Cornton Cottage (also Cornton Vale where HM Prison is now located!)

By the way Cornton, Stirling is part of Logie Parish. I think the county boundaries moved about a bit between Stirlingshire, Perthshire (and part maybe even into Clackmannanshire) over the years.

If I find any more I'll post it, but hopefully someone with more knowledge of the area will provide the answer.

Regards

Sandy

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 June 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Sandy.

I am really trying to find out why a woman from the Borders (a postmistress from Gattonside) owns a house in Edinburgh and then later says she lives in Stirling.  Cornton House is where she said she lived so any idea of people in the area is helpful.  I am beginning to think she was a bit of a schemer.  She eventually went to Oz around 1880 claiming to have been married twice to surgeons in the Indian army but she was never married.  She did however end up owning rather a lot of silverware and pictures belonging to a possible lover and possibly father of her child.  It is amazing what valuation rolls show so I perhaps need to go in that direction now.

Barbara