Author Topic: Cornton House, Stirling 1871  (Read 6466 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Cornton House, Stirling 1871
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 June 12 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

You can search A/try by address. A quick look really shows nothing more than you have found on FindMyPast I think. References to Cornton* seem to lie in Perthshire, Logie mostly really with the references to road, cottage, toll house etc. 1881 shows Logie as Stirlingshire.

Using wildcards and searching only in Stirlingshire, only brings up a Corston at Killearn, Stirlingshire with a handful of people.

What do you have on Mrs Tweedie that could help to find her in 1871?

Monica  :)

Added: Also from 1881, there is a family living at Cornton House Cottage, at Logie Stirlingshire and also a farmer at Cornton House Farm.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 June 12 23:06 BST (UK) »

I don't think she was there in 1871...

Is this Mrs Tweedie in 1871:

Elise H Tweedie 38, Annuitant b. Melrose, Rox.
Ina H Tweedie 16 daughter b. b. Melrose, Rox.
John W Corner 17, nephew, clerk b. Melrose, Rox.
Janet J Purdie 15, niece b. Newington, edinr
Margaret Harvey 20, servant

Address: 14a Dublin St, Edinburgh

There is a will and inventory entry for Elizabeth Halliburton/Tweedie in 1897 on SP. Maybe some clues there relating to property owned?

Is this also Elizabeth in 1861?

Janet Haliburton 64 b. Earlston, Berwickshire
Elizabeth Haliburton 28, daughter, post office mistress b. Melrose
Andrina Haliburton 6 granddaugher, b. Melrose

Address: Gattonside, Melrose

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 June 12 23:19 BST (UK) »
Monica, I have "Mrs Tweedie" in 1871. Inverted commas as she wasn't really.  She owned 14 Dublin Street, Edinburgh and was living there in 1871 but in 1874 she was living in Cornton House, Stirling, still owning the property in Edinburgh - according to valuation rolls.  I just thought that 1871 was the nearest census to find who was in the house in Stirling.  I can't think of a reason for living there unless a relative or friend was there.

I have the will and think she is quite a lady.  A lot of lies being told and no idea how she got her property nor her possessions when she went to Australia.  I had just hoped Stirling would give a  clue, however small. 

Just for interest the Janet Purdie in 1871 as niece was registered as Janet Purdie Hall and was the "daughter of a gentleman" in the 61 census but living with Elizabeth's sister and family.

In 1870-71 she is co-owner of the house in Edinburgh with a William Bonnington who is a joiner from the Borders.

The plot thickens.

Barbara

Offline JonA50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 May 15 11:16 BST (UK) »
We (Belinda and I, Jonathan) are so pleased to come across this research which gives valuable information about "Mrs Tweedie". It appears that her niece Janet Purdie was Belinda's great grandmother. We have never been able to find Janet's birth record or any other information except that she married Robert Rutherford Hay in Edinburgh in 1882.  We are presently doing some family research while in Scotland, visiting from Australia. The information about "Mrs Tweedie" is interesting. Belinda has the shipping record of her travelling to Australia on the SS Afghan in 1879 accompanied by Miss Alice Tweedie aged 17 and Miss Janet Purdie aged 23. Any more light that can be shed on either "Mrs Tweedie" or Janet Purdie, would be gratefully received.

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 May 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
Jonathan

I think barbara's post above is indicating Janet's birth was registered with surname Hall, which might explain why you have had problems finding it. Familysearch has birth Janet Jane Purdie Hall b 25 Dec 1855 in Edinburgh, mother Margaret Hall, no name for father. You should be able to obtain record from Scotland's people web site (or by visiting their Centre in Edinburgh if you have a chance). Enjoy your trip to Scotland!

Sandy 

Offline JonA50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 May 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandy,
Yes Barbara has pointed to the birth of Janet Jane Purdie Hall in 1855, but she suggests that this person becomes "Janet Purdie in 1871". I'd love to get in contact with Barbara as she appears to have fascinating information about my wife's grandmother (who became Janet Crosbie Purdie on her marriage certificate to Robert Rutherford Hay in 1882) and citing her mother as Lucy Haliburton, not Margaret Hall). We'd love to know how Barbara found out that JJPH was "daughter of a gentleman" and all the other bits and pieces. This is such a mystery.