Author Topic: Northumbrian rivers and their coastal towns  (Read 12791 times)

Offline camboislad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northumbrian rivers and their coastal towns
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 September 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
The Coquet runs into the north sea at Amble, just to the east of Warkworth and about 20kms north of the Wansbeck, and is the next main river north of the Wansbeck at Cambois. Just offshore from the river mouth is the lovely Coquet Island which is a nature reserve.
Yes the Coquet does have its source/sources in the Cheviot Hills from where in wends its way eastwards through Rothbury, Warkworth and Amble and eventually into the North Sea. Warkworth Castle is beautifully situated on high ground in a loop of the River Coquet which afforded it natural protection around 3/4 of its perimeter.

Offline chemcarr

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northumbrian rivers and their coastal towns
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 October 18 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hello I was born in Cambois in late 1940s.

there's always the mystery of Boca Chica (Little Mouth) - a term used for estuaries across the colonial world, named by their eurocentric "discoverers".

That said, I've often pondered as to its original location and meaning in the history of Cambois.

I was doing some mines/coalfield research and came across this map, published 1864. this is about four? years before the cambois coal mine was sunk, and colliery cottages - a whole village - was built and populated. It seems that Boca Chica was a "building" maybe approximately where the Ridley Arms was finally built? which was always called the Willick (=whelk), rather than the ridleyarms, which was a mouthful by comparison. and maybe out of negative deference to Lord Ridley, who owned the new mine and village.

https://mininginstitute.org.uk/education/archive-teaching-unit/a-general-maps-of-the-coalfield/bells-plans-of-the-northumberland-and-durham-coalfield/bell-blyth-and-warkworth/

we also see that Cambois was originally the small group of building (?Browns' Farm) adjacent to the mouth of the Wansbeck.
by mid 1900s, the village contained several thousand souls.