Author Topic: Northumbrian rivers and their coastal towns  (Read 12792 times)

Offline skida

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northumbrian rivers and their coastal towns
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 June 12 22:29 BST (UK) »
I thought Boca Chica was closer to the River Blyth, but I can't remember where I read that (I'm a Wallsend Lad living in Blyth since 1999, so what would I know? :) )

I know there is/was a pub called the Buccaneer on The Bucca, but which was named first I can't say.
Rayne, Raine, Reyne and variations - Teesdale, Langleydale, Lunedale, before 1800
Drysdale - Wallsend, Dunfermline, Clackmannan

Offline skida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 June 12 22:43 BST (UK) »
I found the location of Boca Chica (North Blyth) in another thread on this forum:

http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/006972FS.htm
Rayne, Raine, Reyne and variations - Teesdale, Langleydale, Lunedale, before 1800
Drysdale - Wallsend, Dunfermline, Clackmannan

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 June 12 13:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, Boca Chica was definitely North Blyth. Just a short walk from where the ford was across the river where the High Ferry crossing was.

John Wallace explained how Boca Chica got it's name in 1745.

1745     About this time Boca Chica received its outlandish name. Two seamen belonging to the place had served on board a ship-of-war, under Admiral Vernon, at the siege of Carthagena, a sea port in South America, in 1741. The entrance into the harbour was termed Boca Chica (i.e. little mouth), and was defended by several forts, the whole of which were taken by the British forces. Those seamen having returned home in recounting their exploits at the siege so frequently used the words Boca Chica, that one of their companions jocularly gave the name to the place of their residence; the new name took with the public, who at once adopted it, and to this day Boca Chica has continued to be the name of the northern portion of the High Pans. (Wallace)

[Boca Chica existed as a local place name for more than 200 years, right up to the housing clearance of North Blyth circa 1960, it also featured on maps of the area].

When the colliery rows were built in Victorian times one of the rows was called Boca Chica. No doubt the original row was demolished to make way for the new terraces.

The name Boca Chica lives on! A brand new house that is in the process of being built at Cambois, is named Boca Chica.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 June 12 14:11 BST (UK) »
An aerial photo of Boca Chica and the Upper Basin post 1934.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 June 12 19:41 BST (UK) »

My mam and grandparents lived in Boca Chico in 1940s!

Barbara
selby graham cowans skelly vint foster maughan

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 June 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the map of the area, but the aerial photo is absolutely brilliant.

Offline Seasideman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 July 12 07:58 BST (UK) »
Lovely set of images, maps and information.  My father was born in 24 Boca Chica but moved away at the age of 2 so had no memories of the place at that time.  He returned for annual holidays for some time and would have been able to give some later memories of the place were he still with us.  It is wonderful for me to see the place where he was born and lived the early part of his life.

Offline camboislad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 September 16 06:24 BST (UK) »
Boca Chica was definitely classed as Cambois, not North Blyth, and up to the time when the railway sheds and railway houses were built the area now know as North Blyth was simply the southern end of Cambois. With the new railway sheds being given the name of North Blyth Sheds in 1890 odd, the name stuck and was permanently applied to that southern part of the links
I was born in North Blyth in 1958 at 11, Gray Street and lived there until 1982. My dad was a fireman then a driver on the railway there and was also born in North Blyth at 15, Dale Street. Both my mam and my dad lived in North Blyth all of their lives.
So anywhere north of an east to west line from the south side of the Ridley Arms Hotel (The Willick to locals) over to to the North Blyth signal box and across the beach was always classed as Cambois by us locals. The wooden railway footbridge over the railway lines immediately to the north of the North Blyth signal box was always known as Cambois Bridge, and next to Cambois Bridge on the west side was what was called the Cambois school house, which originally was the local schoolmasters house.
Many of my school friends lived in Boca Chica, Boathouse Terrace, Bridge Street etc and I can 100% guarantee that they classed themselves as Cambois folk. After all they lived in houses built for the workers of Cambois Colliery.
Even though we were called North Blythers we were very very close to our Cambois mates and there was never any rivalry between Cambois and North Blyth (nor East Sleekburn which we also very much classed as being as one with us) because as far as we were concerned we were all from the same little area and we stuck together at all times, played with each other, went to school together, grew up together, so all one big happy family on our stretch of land hemmed in between the Blyth and the Wansbeck and the Sleekburn.

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 September 16 21:00 BST (UK) »
What about the river Coquet?
Acc. to Wiki, its source is in the Cheviots, reaches the sea at Warkworth.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow