Author Topic: George Edward Collins b c1874  (Read 2805 times)

guest189040

George Edward Collins b c1874
« on: Tuesday 12 June 12 13:48 BST (UK) »
My Great uncle George and his family settled in Canada c1905

My Grandather Harold Percy Collins joined them and they lived in the Battleford area of Saskatchewan in the 1911 census.

Grandfather died in the 1920'2 and my Grandmother and her daughters returned to the UK

George had two daughters Worcer Alfreda and Norah Verner.

I am trying to find marriage records for either of them so that I can trace any living relatives (away from this forum) can anyone offer help as to how I can find said records.

All my efforts so far have drawn a blank.

I did meet both of George's daughters in the mid 1960's when they visited my Grandmother in the UK

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: George Edward Collins b c1874
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 18:47 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon Colin,

Each provincial government in Canada administers it own BMD records. Saskatchewan is one of the more restrictive provinces. However, I think the national privacy restriction for marriages is either 75 or 80 years, so perhaps the ones you are looking for are now in the public domain. Did you find them in the 1916 western provinces census? You can look at this census at our National Archive website or the transcription at www.automatedgenealogy.com.

I would also attempt to contact the Saskatchewan vital records office. They may be able to help as well.

Hope this helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 19:42 BST (UK) »
Nora Vivien Collins
b. 1907/6/9 (June)
Lashburn, Saskatchewan
parents - Emilie Bailey and George Edward Collins

I went to the census at Automated Genealogy to see what the dates of birth and what the original names appeared to be and the names looked like Doreen Alfreda b. 1900 age 10 and Norah Vivien b. 1908 age 3

I went to the Saskatchewan Cemeteries Project to look for graves and found
Emily Sarah Collins
George E. Collins buried Block 15, Plot E, Lot 2

Went to Lashburn Cemetery and found
George Collins 1923, age 49
If George was born in 1874 and died 1923, he would be age 49 so good possiblity this is him.

Found Doreen Breen nee Collins, 1979 age 79 same cemetery different plot. She is the only Breen listed in the cemetery.

www.canada411.ca
is an online telephone directory and although no Breen's are listed in Lashburn, some are listed in Saskatchewan so you may want to send some letters off by snail mail. (postal service)

Lashburn Library comes under Lakeland Library Region and they have a contact section so with a year of death, they may be able to find something on Doreen Breen nee Collins.  Libraries are a good source for old newspaper obituaries, books on local families and sometimes have genealogy sections or know of groups in the area.

www.lakeland.lib.sk.ca

Someone may be able to come up with some more info using the above.
Good luck

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
As there was another Lashburn inquiry the other day which lead to the posting of a link to a local history book that is online at Our Roots by Cosmac, I took a look to see if your family is in it to.

There is a write-up for Bob Sanderson who married Doreen Collins:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nj2/
Breen was her second marriage according to the 3 page write-up by her daughters.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 20:17 BST (UK) »
Also a 4 page write-up about George and Emilie Collins by their daughter, Nora:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nj3/

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 21:09 BST (UK) »
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html

You can check for Soldiers of the First World War at this site and there are 2 possibles for Harold Percy Collins and Harry Collins.
Regiment Numbers 81170 and 81169

Also there are two land grants for George Edward Collins and Harold Percy Collins under the Western Land Grants.
SE Section 36 Twp 48 Range 26 Meridian W3
PtSW Section 36 Twp 48 Range 26 Meridian W3

These match the information on the 1911 census and also the information in the book on Lashburn.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 05:07 BST (UK) »
Collins #81170 returned on 13 Feb 1918 on the Olympic as a Sgt. travelling from Liverpool to Halifax with a final destination of Lashburn. 
On the 1916 Prairie census Harold Collins is listed in the Battleford area but shown as serving overseas in France.

Debbie

guest189040

« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 June 12 09:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the relies.

As a result of the links given and family knowledge I have pieced together the family tree of relatives in Canada up to present day and presently I am endeavouring to contact them.

Once again many thanks.