Author Topic: Michael Casey, born Tipperary around 1841-1845  (Read 4916 times)

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Michael Casey, born Tipperary around 1841-1845
« on: Sunday 22 May 05 04:43 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather was born in Tipperary between 1841-1945.  Ironically, the sources with the widest gap in time are his death certicate (1850) and his gravestone (1841), which were probably handled within days of one another.  However, because of issues regarding his naturalization and voting, I suspect he was older, and most of the other documents point to the early 1840s - it could even be a bit earlier.

His parents were Michael Casey and Mary O'Brien.  He emigrated to Boston in the early 1860s.  The best man at his wedding was William Casey, possibly a brother.  Thomas, Patrick, and Catherine Casey were godparents at the baptisms of Michael's children in Boston, so they may also be siblings (unless Catherine married into the Casey family).    He lived for a time with another Michael Casey - probably his cousin - from Limerick; therefore, Michael may have been from a part of Tipperary near Limerick.  This is all I've got - most of the records in America only list a generic "Ireland" when indicating place of birth.  Thanks if anyone can help.