Author Topic: Campbells in Crowey, Tehallan, Co Monaghan  (Read 28942 times)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Campbells in Crowey, Tehallan, Co Monaghan
« on: Wednesday 13 June 12 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi All

The dreaded day has arrived and is time to research my Campbells. I know that my gtx2 grandmother Sarah Campbell's parents were Matthew Campbell and Jane Campbell (nee Campbell). I know via Griffiths Matthew leased land in Crowey townland, Tehallan Parish, Co Monaghan.

I have baptism details for their children so need to be following those up to see where they all went barring Sarah cos I know she married and came to Scotland- all were born between about 1815 and 1830. The baptisms were recorded as Church of Ireland but I have a sneaky feeling they were Presbyterians. I've searched all the usual sites for a marriage between Matthew and Jane but no joy.

Does anyone know where the nearest CoI and Prebyterian parish churches to Crowey townland are? - have googled and found not a thing. Am trying to get ahead of the game before I go there in August as I may need to contact said church(es) for access to records (if they'll let me) if I draw a blank at PRONI.

If anyone is familiar with the area and has any suggestions will be most welcome. (Crowey btw is north East of Monaghan town up towards the Armagh border. Roughly where the N2 meets the N12)

Any help most gratefully received cos have a feeling this is going to be a tough one to crack!

Ann  :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Campbells in Crowey, Tehallan, Co Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 07:42 BST (UK) »
MONAGHAN RESOURCES has lots of links, including this page listing many Monaghan church records- nothing listed for Tehallan Parish (Church of Ireland):
http://ahd.exis.net/monaghan/churchregisters.htm

PRONI do have some records for the Presbyterian churches in Monaghan but not sure of exact dates.

PRONI also have this in their Will Extracts-
"Probate of the Will with one Codicil of Elizabeth Campbell late of Crowey County Monaghan Spinster who died 3 June 1912 granted at Armagh to Samuel Campbell Farmer" with exact wording of the Will:
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=272442
Will mentions Tyholland Parish Church which might be worth checking (see first link in this post for dates of records and you can also check to see if PRONI has copies)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 22:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, the Campbells of Crowey attended Tyholland Church of Ireland, there is at least 1 Gravestone there with Crowey mentioned on it for your Campbells.

I have the graveyard photographed and they should be on the IGP website which is FREE. It is just a website where people submit photographs taken while visiting graveyards to help fill the vacuum on lack of on line records.

If you are visiting Ireland looking for these records for your Campbells they are in the safe in St Salvator's Church in Glaslough, the records are looked after by a church member who is extremely helpful. This church is on the Leslie estate where Paul McCartney from Beatles got married. You will need to give a few days notice if visiting to make sure this person is around!

This is one I have but Elizabeth's should be on IGP as she is buried with her sister Anne, they have a stone in Tyholland!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 23:17 BST (UK) »
St. Sillians, Tyholland, County Monaghan  is listed here with photographs!!
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nkv/ but I don't see Anne's one there. I should have it on my other PC but will need a while to get it.

Dave.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 23:26 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thanks both ever so!

I've tracked down the site that shows what PRONI holds and will be there before I head back south but will definitely be visiting the churches so I'll track down the wee lady who looks after the records.

I do remember us going to a church with a graveyard in that area which was full of Campbells last time we were there (6 years or so ago) but I remember the church was locked up and hadn't done a lot of Irish reserach then so probably didn't take as much note as I should have. I need to try and find the photos we took of the headstones on. the basis that they're Campbells and might be mine!

Am not going over til beginning of August so have a wee bit of time to dig a bit more before I go

Many thanks again!

Ann :D :D :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 23:40 BST (UK) »
Well firstly I apologize that this has been such a tough nut to crack...  ;D ;D

Now, I looked on IGP and was surprised Anne's wasn't there but can see why! The quality isn't great but am attaching it here..

You can go to PRONI but what you need is in that church safe and you can view them...there is a fee to help contribute to upkeep of the church!

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 June 12 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

My sarah's sister Ann married an Andrew McQuay over in Ahghabog (have copy of the marriage cert). Is it usual for married women in Ireland to have only their maiden name on a headstone?

I need to go to PRONI as not just these guys am looking for. Have Connollys also in Monaghan (Ematris), Torrens in Co. Tyrone and Thompson in Co. Fermanagh plus other have no idea where exactly in Ireland who'll have to wait til I find out - Carrolls, Bislands and McGoverns  ???

So St Sillian's is the Tyholland parish church? but the records are held at St Salvators? (sorry to be thick - brain fried reading a will). If you know name of said wee lady, could you pm me?

Thanks ever so

Ann :D :D :D

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 June 12 00:31 BST (UK) »
I have seen both, where someone keeps married name and some that reverted to using maiden name!

Yes St Sillian's is the official name. Because the attendance figures are so low some churches only open 1 or 2 Sundays per month and one rector can look after several churches. If you are going to Ematris you will find that the rector there looks after 14 churches. So, you are not being thick....the same rector covers both churches plus others and St Salvator's in Glaslough, (often called Donagh church) is more secure!

Now, to ask you a rhetorical question.... Why Aghabog?? Bride's normally marry in their local church!!

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nkv/ should have Aghabog photos too! and photos of Ematris....which is often called St John's...or Kilcrow..or Dartrey.

The Irish are very generous we often have 3 or 4 names for same church and we often have 2 or 3 places in a county with same townland name...

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 June 12 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Not absolutely sure why the other side of the county and yes brides usually do marry in their own parishes.

I was having a lot of trouble finding Sarah Campbell and James Connolly's marriage cert. My grandpa always said the family were from Silverstream. So I went to the genie centre in Dublin and got hold of the Griffiths valuation for William Connolly which was in Ematris. I then went to the Land Registry place in Dublin and asked to see the book of corrections and there sure enough when William died his wee farm was taken on by one Elizabeth Jackson who was indeed his wife.  So that confirmed what I'd suspected which was the tales my grandpa heard were from his grandma Sarah (Campbell) who indeed was from Silverstream area.

With a good OS map off we went to Corranewy townland, Ematris to have a look. The house has all but fallen down now. So then we knocked on doors and one very helpful farmer sent me down the road to see the local historian chappie. It was him found Sarah's marriage cert and her sister Ann's for me but they were registered under Cootehill (which is only a few miles away). That led onto finding other Connolly marriages. they were all Presbyterian in the same place. The Andrew mcQuay that Ann married lived on a farm very close to the Connolly acre (and it was just over an acre) so I can only speculate that Sarah went to visit or live with her sister, met James Connolly and there you have it.

So that's the wee tale behind how they came to be in another place.

Ann :D