Author Topic: Campbells in Crowey, Tehallan, Co Monaghan  (Read 28946 times)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Campbells in Crowey, Tehallan, Co Monaghan
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Maria

All arranged already am  to see the church records when am in Ireland in a few weeks time.  :D

Will also be going to PRONI before am in Monaghan area which will hopefully give me a bit of a head start before I visit the church in piecing it together I hope.

I'm assuming that Matthew's father possibly might be Robert - but that's just going by naming convention ?
 Had a closer look at Griffiths last night and they definitely all lived in adjoining townlands so am assuming if not brothers definitely related in some way? Just have to work out how!

I have no copies of records for any of them apart from Sarah and have Ann's marriage cert. the rest of the info is a letter I got from Theo McMahon at Monaghan Genealogy Centre some years ago now. That's mainly why the PRONI and church visit - tho have other ones (non Campbell) need PRONI for. I have a few of the kids baptism details I got from the IHFH site.

Do you have any idea where in Scotland they hailed from?

Ann :D

Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline maria mcgurk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 09:26 BST (UK) »

No I dont know where they came from in Scotland Ann. But I will find this out for you today if I can.
I would so love to see those Church records as well. Maybe we could meet up on the day you are being allowed access to them in Tyholland.
I live just under an hour's drive away so after 7 years researching-its only a short distance for me.
However-you clearly have done alot of research and this is your moment so I fully understand if this is not possible.
Maria

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Maria

I don't think that's going to be possible am afraid as this has all been set up for me via a 3rd party who is meeting us there and is because he knows the church warden/curator.

My understanding is tho they will let people see things by appointment generally so am assuming if you contacted Tyholland church they can arrange something for you. I know the fee is 50 euros but by the sounds of things there are a lot of Campbells in those books so compared to a trip to the GRO, 50 Euros to have access to them all seems reasonable.

You're so lucky to be reasonably nearby - wish I was cos I only have limited time to go and look tho am sure we'll be back over next year as have family in Louth who we will be staying with for this part of our holiday. So perhaps if I run out of time to go through what I'm told are many books you could pick up from where I get up to?

Ann ;)
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline maria mcgurk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 23:03 BST (UK) »

No problem-if you can let me know who to contact myself-the money will not be an issue with me.
I have seen the church from outside and graveyard of course. A beautiful place and I think it might answer alot of my questions.....I would not be surprised if I know your contact but fully appreciate your situation.
Have a lovely time.
Maria

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 23:04 BST (UK) »
Did you have any joy with place of origin in Scotland?

Ann ???

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 July 12 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Maria

He met the church warden when when he went to take photos of the church and graveyard for me and another rootschatter. This was some time ago now but as you do they got chatting and he asked about access to the records. I've just not been able to do much about it til recently as I was looking for other ancestors in Fermanagh and Tyrone as well as other side of Co Monaghan. The Campbells were left because I thought others would be easier to find and time over there evaporates!

I don't have local phone book but he said he'd rung the church number. He's not in Co Monaghan so am assuming he got it via Directory Enquiries or 118 (whatever is called these days!). I can't get in touch with him at the moment cos he's on his hols and I'll not see him now til we're over there.

Ann :D

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 July 12 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Maria

Did you manage to find out where in Scotland?

Ann ???

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 26 July 12 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Maria

I'm assuming not. Not to worry perhaps something will turn up in the church records and can take it from there
A big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far via posts or PMs! It has given me hope that perhaps Campbell wasn't as hard a name to research as I initially thought it might be.

Ann  :D :D :D

Offline picraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I wonder if you could help me please.  I have a Mary Campbell born Monaghan possibly 1857 to 1863 [depending on which certificate you are looking at!]  Puts her parents  as Bridget McKenna and George Campbell [Doctor of Medicine]  She came to NZ 1879 stating her age as 25 which we think is correct as it tallies with age at death.  Perhaps stretched the truth at the time of marriage when she suddenly became younger!  I cannot find her birth not can I find her parents marriage.  There is a Patrick Campbell who married a Bridget Mckenna but no daughter Mary and all their children are younger.  Any help at all would be appreciated.  Mary was a Catholic.
Sandra