Author Topic: Kinlochbervie- Alexander MacRae  (Read 9819 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kinlochbervie- Alexander MacRae
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally

GROS is the General Register Office for Scotland.

The listings for Sutherland are towards the end of this doc:

http://www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/pdf/list-of-oprs-1to56.pdf

Added - It gives 1798 as start date but then says 'For indexes to Sutherland County Baptisms see 56A/1-3'   but I've not found that section so far!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 09:39 BST (UK) »
This is worth a read, if you are new to Scottish records -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
It is worth reading the background (political as usual  ;D) into how the split came about, there are more authorative texts but most are a bit cumbersome and tedious. 

However basically from the act of Union 1707 the Hanoverian (anti catholic) union was imposed on Scotland, but there were evangelical preachers in many areas of Scotland, often in the open air, certainly from circa 1712 onwards, because many people objected to the state impinging on their religion. 

So although the official Free Church of Scotland wasn't established or formalised until 1834 during the disruption, there was a strong anti state movement in existence for well over 100 years the disruption was not the start of it.  It was very much an anti-establishment/government movement.  So while many observed the ban on Catholicism they did not like the state dictating who their preachers and ministers were to be and the control the state had over the official church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruption_of_1843

I'm afraid John Knox (1514? - 1572) (and The Reformation) has a lot to answer for in Scotland's history, not just for the churches and sectarianism, but in male attitudes towards women which existed in some places through to very recently.  Hence many parishes do not record female births, or the names of mothers, our only hope is that a marriage record states not just a surname for the wife but also a first name.  In Knox's eyes women were little better than possessions, like a man's cattle or other beasts, a means for a man to produce sons and heirs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Knox
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 June 12 16:45 BST (UK) »
SCT1841/49 Place: Eddrachilles -Sutherland Enumeration District: 5
Civil Parish: Eddrachillis Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -

MCRAE  Alexr    M     45       Tenant         
MCRAE  Fairley  F     45

Quote:
ETA Remember to allow 5 years higher ages for the 1841 census ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 or 0.

It follows that Alexr. and Fairley could have been 45; 46; 47; 48; or 49 when the census was taken.

Ian

Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline marionq

• RootsChat Extra
  • Kenneth Fleming - Canada 1925-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 February 13 13:38 GMT (UK) »
On the 26 Feb 1822 Alex Mcrae from Unapool, Assynt married Fairly Sinclair of Glencoul, Eddrachilles.  They were married at Achmore by the Revd Dr Mackenzie.