Author Topic: Death records  (Read 11839 times)

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Death records
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 June 12 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaffney 101 and welcome to Rootschat -

I had a look at the burial records tonight for you at Birkenhead Library where some local burial records are held on film.

There's a burial for William Gaffney age 61 on 22nd February 1911 at Flaybrick cemetery Birkenhead. The grave is a public grave - Roman Catholic section 2 grave number 438A. Unfortunately there will be no headstone.
The address is 'The Home' Parkfield Avenue - a nursing home so not his own address.

Unfortunately these details don't really give any clues to link to your William J Gaffney.

In the trade directory for 1910 there's an entry for a William Joseph Gaffney living at 54 Lowther Street Birkenhead - again not certain that this is your William.

Sorry - this doesn't help much but there were no more details on the burial record.

Regards

Neptune

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gaffney101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Neptune,  it was most generous of you to take the time to look up the burial records in Birkenhead Library.  The results were not as rewarding as I hoped, but I understand how elusive records can be.   
I couldn't find William J. in the 1901 census, but I know the family was in Glasgow because two children were born in that city between 1896 and 1900.
Did the trade directory in 1910 state the trade for William J.?  In one of my records I have him listed as a shoemaker.
Maybe I can find a thread leading to his birth.  His father {soldier} was deceased before 1875.  Unfortunately, his mother's name is missing, so thats another challenge.
Once again Neptune, I really appreciate all your help. 

Gaffney 101

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaffney 101 -

You're welcome -

I was hoping there would be some clues in the burial records -the address was a nursing home (which was run by nuns)so didn't have William's home address.

Unfortunately there was no occupation -just the address in the directory(surnames)
I did look under occupations as well (car/cab drivers) but there was nothing listed.

The death certificate may give more information -who the informant was etc. but could be expensive if it's not your William.

Keep searching!

Neptune

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaffney 101 -

Do you know the names of the children born in Glasgow?
Also the names of any other children?

Neptune

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 June 12 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Just a possibility -

On the 1901 census of Ireland there's a William Gaffney(age 49) with his wife Ellen(both born Ireland) and four sons.
The two eldest are born in England
The youngest two are born in Scotland.
Here's the link -

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Regards

Neptune

Offline Gaffney101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 June 12 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi again Neptune,

You hit the jackpot with the 1901 census link and made some people here very happy!  The family of William and Ellen was 100% consistent with what we know about his children including Peter, the missing son we never could find.  Even more,  for the first time we have the birthplace of William J. and Ellen.  We also found a Richard Gaffney in that census living in Meath, who we think is the brother of William J. 

Many thanks for clearing up so many loose ends.  Now we can focus on finding info about the elder William Gaffney a soldier who died before 1875.

Gaffney 101.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 June 12 14:57 BST (UK) »
B:::thwaite Green near Kendal is probably meant to be Beathwaite Green,now better known as Levens.
A

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 June 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I'm glad the Irish census seems to be the right one. I had already looked at it but wasn't sure until you mentioned the children born in Scotland, so it just seemed quite a coincidence. Great that you found where William and Ellen were born. If you have a look at Lancashire BMD there is a birth in 1894 for a Peter Gaffney and gives the Mother's maiden name as McCann (not usually given on the site before 1911).

Scotland's People has birth's for Frederick and Walter - use the free search index.

The Irish naming pattern is quite useful but doesn't always follow in every case. So using this Willaim could have called his son after his brother Richard.

As William J was born before civil registration began in Ireland in 1864 - you would have to rely on Parish records. The problem is knowing which Parish and if the records still exist. I've had a look at the Irish Family History site but not much luck, it's a pay site - i've wasted quite a few Euros trying to find the right record. Here are a few links -

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlgal/index4.htm

http://scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Good luck

Neptune

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaffney 101

I was looking on line at the Liverpool Catholic marriages on An....stry and am puzzled.

There's a marriage on 19th September 1875 at Our Lady of Reconciliation for a Gulielmum Joephum Gaffney and Helenan McCann (latin).

The bride's father is Patrick(Patritii) but the groom's father is Peter(Petris)?

Regards

Neptune